PDA

View Full Version : *Cheapest* way of tranfering files between laptop & desktop

Half a Mexican
5th Apr 2004, 08:30
I’ve got around 2gig of files that I want to move from my old laptop to my newer desktop machine.
What’s the best (cheapest) way of doing this?

No doubt I’ll have to get my self a cable and some software, but is there any freeware/shareware I can use to do the job?
The laptop is running Windows98 and the desktop is running XP.

[I know this has been done before but I want to know what the cheapest method is – I need the money for flying!]

Cheers,

--
HaM
:}

Danza
5th Apr 2004, 08:39
Have both machines got ether net cards/ports? If they have it will only cost you the price of a cable (few quid). If as in my case the laptop did but the pc didn't all you need to do is stick in an ether net card. I think I bough mine for £8 then plug it in, fire up the connection wizard and away you go. If the laptop needs an upgrade, pass, but I'm sure somone on here can advise.

Other than that, see if anyone you know has an external CD burner that you can use, just a thought.

fobotcso
5th Apr 2004, 08:42
Well ½Mex , you're going to get a shed load of suggestions but I'll start with a question and then a suggestion.

Assuming that the laptop Win98 is not Second Edition and assuming that it is not networked -?- I would take out the Hard Disk.

Go down to PC world or Maplin and buy the IDE connection adapter to enable you to plug the Laptop's HDD into an IDE cable in the shiny new desktop. Like the disk in front here.

http://www.fobotcso.co.uk/extdisk02.jpg

When the PC next boots up it'll find the HDD as a new drive and you can then do the transfer.

About £10. Have a good trip. :D

spannersatcx
5th Apr 2004, 14:56
If the laptop has a CD writer, write them to CDR/RW.

amanoffewwords
5th Apr 2004, 15:10
usb key?

crossed cable?

cheap zip drive on ebay?

email it (if you bband)

Wait wait wait I know, floppies! Quick calculation 2gb / 1.44mb = you'll have something to do until xmas! :)

hth, not!

amofw

Saab Dastard
5th Apr 2004, 19:07
Will you want to use the laptop in the future, and possibly want to transfer files / share data or peripherals or share internet connection? If so, you might want to look at buying a 4-port hub / switch rather than a cross-over ethernet cable to link them together (assuming that you have got network cards).

If you can connect using a network connection, it is much easier for the desktop running XP to access the data on the Win 98 laptop than vice-versa, due to permissions, etc. on XP.

If the laptop doesn't have a network card I'd go with fobotcso's suggestion, or buy a USB disk caddy that you can put the laptop disk into as a permanent USB external HDD (but not if you want to keep using the laptop, obviously). You can buy such caddies with disks in, but they are more expensive.

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 01:39
Half a Mexican,

There are many ways to transfer files these days. The easiest for Notebook going to Desktop is over a network. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Half a Mexican
6th Apr 2004, 08:40
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Just to clarify; it’s not got Win98 second edition and I’ve got no network cards or any particular desire to network them.
I’ve not (yet) got broadband either. Or a portable burner CD burner.

I think I’m going to run with Fobotcso’s idea. I’ve already done the same with the disk from my other desktop. It was remarkably simple. And the files transfer rate was obviously nice and quick. I just didn’t think it could be done with my little laptop’s disk.

Off to PC World I go!

Cheers,
--
HaM
:}

fobotcso
6th Apr 2004, 08:46
½Mex, Good luck with that. If PC World don't have the little adapter, they are on the Web from a number of suppliers. Any Probs, get back. fobs

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Apr 2004, 16:53
Half a Mexican,

Just to clarify; it’s not got Win98 second edition and I’ve got no network cards or any particular desire to network them.
I’ve not (yet) got broadband either. Or a portable burner CD burner.

If the Notebook is that old, it sounds like it served you well for many years. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

Half a Mexican
7th Apr 2004, 09:58
It certainly has!

The old girl has done well and put up with a lot. It’s a big old thing though, a 15 inch screen in those days meant you ended up with something about the size of a briefcase!

After I get my data off it, I’m not quite sure what to do with it. I might format the disk and install a nice little Linux distribution.

--
HaM:}