PDA

View Full Version : amblyopia - lazy eye

Farrell
5th Apr 2004, 03:49
Hi there

I have had this condition since I was a kid. It means that my right eye is all blurred. I have contacted the CAA about it and they said to get a letter from a opthamologist to state that it does not affect my day to day ability to do things like drive - and that my peripheral vision is not affected (which it isn't - in fact, the opt said it was above average.

They said that if I had had it since birth that my brain has learned to compensate for it over the past thirty years.

Anyway, before I send these docs (no pun intended) to Gatwick - do any of you know pilot's who have this condition and are allowed to fly?

Thanks folks.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Apr 2004, 06:05
Have a look here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=791063&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending).

It is the result of clicking on 'search' and typing in 'amblyopia'

If there are still queries after reading the info there, get back here.

Best of luck.

FD

Farrell
5th Apr 2004, 09:30
That's brilliant thanks.

Not used to the forum yet.

Thanks again

W

DanRS
14th Apr 2004, 14:50
Hi Farrell

I have Amblyopia, your eyesight will be measured in the same way as everyone else.

If you can achieve 6/9 with your worst eye you will pass the medical.

The trouble with amblyopia is that it is not really improved with lenses. (as you will have found out), However you may find that the amblyopic eye also has a certain amount of long or short sight. This maybe helped by the use of glasses.

I have passed the Class 1 Eyetest but will need to have glasses to fly even though I usually don't were them.

I hope this helps

Cheers Dan

P.S. I would be interested to know how many people have this condition as it appears to crop up fairly regularly on these forums.

Pilot16
15th Apr 2004, 19:59
With your right eye, you should still be able to read the 6/9 line with the amblyopic eye. I have the exact same condition as you and I was failed because of that, for your interest :)

thobson
8th May 2004, 20:55
DanRS

It would appear that I am in the same boat as you ...

I have a lazy right eye but fortunately it will correct to 6/9 so I can just scrape through the medical. Like you I also have VDL stamped on my medical form. It seems like a bit of a technicality as I have binocular vision of 6/5 with or without my glasses! I'd fail an FAA class 1 medical though :-(

Toby

divorcingjack
20th May 2004, 08:34
Hi guys,

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings, but the CAA have another requirement which could scupper you if you have a lazy eye. If your "bad" eye is much weaker than your "good" eye, and has a difference of more than 2 dioptres, you will be failed in an initial Class 1. I have a difference of about 2.5 D, but my bad eye can be corrected to 6/4 - despite this, I was still denied a CAA class 1. I am now heading off to florida tomorrow to get round the CAA using the very accomodating and much more sensible FAA who do not have this restriction.

Best of luck to all of you !

Pilot16
21st May 2004, 23:07
I hear of company medical tests where the airline you are applying to do eye test on you as part of THEIR medical...... Ive heard on pprune u cud get stuck there!! Is this true?

Whats all that about??! I thought as long as you have your Class 1 thats all that matters!!!???

Anyone know of airlines that actually do more medical checks on potential pilots?

If so why do we need a class 1 :rolleyes:

Blinkz
21st May 2004, 23:30
I think generally a class 1 is acceptable, but some companys check anyway. BA has higher standards then a class 1, altho I don't know what they are.

BlipOnTheRadar
3rd Jun 2004, 05:52
Thobson,

Are you sure you'd fail the FAA class 1 medical?

The sight in my left, amblyopic eye is worse than 6/9 yet I passed the FAA class 1 without a problem. I do have the FAA issued Statement Of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) that declare, quite alarmingly, "No Useful Vision".

I now have an FAA CPL/IR for single and multi-engine aircraft, with 530 hours total time, 24 hours multi and about 108 instrument. I also have a CASA (Australian) class 1 medical.

The CAA will not issue me with a class 1, stating I do not have stereoscopic vision so therefore cannot see in 3D.... I wonder how I ever made it down a flight of stairs alive. I must have amassed at least 1000 landings so far and I don't recall ever missing the runway.

Either myself or my legal representatives will be contacting the CAA shortly.

Best of luck to everyone :ok:

BlipOnTheRadar

Haavard
9th Nov 2004, 12:57
The CAA will not issue me with a class 1, stating I do not have stereoscopic vision so therefore cannot see in 3D.... I wonder how I ever made it down a flight of stairs alive. I must have amassed at least 1000 landings so far and I don't recall ever missing the runway.

I might be a bit late now, but anyway :)

I do have a lazy eye and are only able to see 6/9 with it. I am also cross eyed and i have taken a laser surgery to correct my vision from +4.

I did get my Class 1... And JAR doesnt say that you need to have stereoscopic vision.. I havent either. If you find your self in twilight zone and dont pass, just go to another doctor and try there, they all look at JAR medical regulations on their own way.

Pilot16
11th Nov 2004, 22:34
Ive got my Class 1 finally,

now thinking about renewal, how are the rules with regard to visual acuity? What if you miss some letters on the 6/9 line?

Can they suspend your medical?