PDA

View Full Version : Near Miss 20 South of AY

SM4 Pirate
4th Apr 2004, 22:51
Rumour has it that a SAAB did a 90 degree turn to miss a lighty south of AY in Class E airspace in late March.

Apparently TCAS event and very ugly.

Anyone with more news?

No Further Requirements
4th Apr 2004, 23:26
Yeah, heard the same. Considering the poor radar coverage down there, I don't doubt it happened and TCAS 'saved the day'. You want contrlled airspace that low, you got it Dick! You also got these kind of events too. TCAS is not a separation tool, it is a last resort. I believe ML Centre ATC do their best with telling AY TWR about VFR guys inside their portion of 'E' airspace, but if they can't see them......well, this event happens. Maybe now there will be a portable radar sent to AY too!

Cheers,

NFR.

SM4 Pirate
5th Apr 2004, 02:33
****su,

I've found more info today at work:

TA only TCAS system on the SAAB (they think), the turn was initiated due to no visual contact... PIC thought turn would be safer.

Radar paint on the VFR traffic at A075 was only observed intermittently on Centre Radar; as it was on the SAAB due to dodgy low level coverage over AY.

Best efforts at predicting how close they were, given intermittent radar paints was over 350KTS closing same level 2 miles.

VFR didn't respond to any calls... Until after the event, sound familiar?

Bottle of Rum

separator
5th Apr 2004, 03:24
Reminds me of the old saying:

The aircraft failed to collide, therefore separation must have existed.

That might be the new NAS "Mission Statement".

sep

Disco Stu
5th Apr 2004, 04:00
You all remind me of a bunch of parachutists

All happily jumping to conclusions.

I haven't seen anything on the esir's, has anybody else?

Disco Stu

SM4 Pirate
5th Apr 2004, 07:34
Disco Stu,

I have seen the ESIR 200400997MCO.

Says effectively what has been stated above.

Whilst trolling for news, I certainly haven't jumped to any conclusions, just stating what I was initially told then what I have read.

But I'll state that it wouldn't have happened like this pre 27 Nov 2003.

spinout
5th Apr 2004, 07:41
It was lucky the light aircraft had a serviceable transponder and it was turned on, it must be great to think that every one will just get out of your way because you have a transponder and that removes the need to talk on the radio.:sad:

Atlas Shrugged
6th Apr 2004, 00:05
.....it must be great to think that every one will just get out of your way because you have a transponder and that removes the need to talk on the radio....
Doesn't Dick?

AS

Sked
8th Apr 2004, 01:41
Actually having flown the SAAB it does have TA/RA on the TCAS. At least the ones with KD, now REX do.

Capn Bloggs
8th Apr 2004, 02:05
Disco,
So what's the problem with drawing conclusions when the circumstances are bleeding obvious??

What's the difference between a golfer and a parachutist? A golfer goes 'Whack'...."Arrrh F#$!".

trafficwas
9th Apr 2004, 12:26
I saw the NAS video.
"i'll turn on my transponder now so ATC can see me"
oops no radar coverage