PDA

View Full Version : New QF ADL-AKL. What other new routes in new air war?

apacau
4th Apr 2004, 22:28
What with Qantas announcing a new AKL-ADL service, I was wondering where else the established airlines can go to fight the new competition in our skies.

What with EK throwing vast capacity at SYD/MEL/BNE-AKL (prob soon PER too) and now into CHC from MEL (and no doubt soon SYD), with Pacific Blue entering the fray and Freedom ramping up capacity, airlines will look out of the box.

ADL-AKL is one. One would think CBR-AKL/WLG maybe next. Maybe someone will take a punt on NTL again too. Maybe HBA-CHC also.

The same can be said for the Pacific. FJ/QF must be a little concerned by SJ, NZ and DJs antics and must be looking away from the traditional MEL/SYD/BNE/AKL-NAN routes. Will we finally see an ADL-NAN route?

Or will one airline simply give up the ghost...?

Animalclub
5th Apr 2004, 02:56
I well remember flying with Pan Am (yes, I'm that old) on their round the world over the HKG-BKK-DEL-TEH-IST-FRA-LON sectors on a B707... but no more. Does any carrier do a Round World?

It's costs that have stopped the multi sector flights... flying as well as airport/ground costs. With todays margins it almost necessitates a high load factor to a single destination. Even cargo ships are doing Aus-UK non stop due to costs.

missy
5th Apr 2004, 04:32
Qantas (Australian) used to do AD-NZAA and HB-NZCH so its hardly new.

TAC On
5th Apr 2004, 11:33
Missy

ADL- AKL was a QF routeand operated by QF.

HBA-CHCH was QF operated by TN.

Ahh them were the days.

TO

invertedlandings
7th Apr 2004, 00:49
Apparently the 5 new 738's ordered last week are to be crewed by JetConnect (after their NG conversion in the BNE sim, of which QF has taken 40% of available time) on this "new" ADL-AKL service- the thin edge of the wedge just go thicker....

Kaptin M
7th Apr 2004, 01:53
The pre-`89 version of Ansett :ok: also operated Hobart-Christchurch - it was called The Southern Connection.