PDA

View Full Version : Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

OzPax1
4th Apr 2004, 16:53
Anyone watching this film on C5? I am just enjoying the scenes of the flying with those vintage aircraft replicas. Magnificent..!! :D

timmcat
4th Apr 2004, 17:11
Recall watching something on Channel 5 once... :{

Boss Raptor
4th Apr 2004, 17:13
Sir Percy Ware-Armitage yes a man after my own heart...always dead impressed by him as a kid ;)

Man-on-the-fence
4th Apr 2004, 18:05
Will it fly?

Of course it'll fly, what do you think its going to do, Lay an egg?

CRAASSHHH :E

IB4138
4th Apr 2004, 18:17
Classic Willy Rushton and Terry Thomas

Both sad losses.

G-ALAN
4th Apr 2004, 19:56
Yeah I watched it earlier, a very tacky but enjoyable old film. The little French chick was nice :}

Loki
4th Apr 2004, 20:11
Some great characters from British show business. The double act of Terry Thomas and Eric Sykes particularly enjoyable.

Noah Zark.
4th Apr 2004, 20:19
Cracking good line between Terry-Thomas and Eric Sykes.
T.T. is just going to put his booted foot in Sykes' hand for a leg-up, and he looks at Eric and hisses "Are your hands clean?" :D
And the blast-past by the Lighnings right at the end looked good, too!

Jinkster
4th Apr 2004, 21:28
Excellant film - always enjoyed it.

Does anyone know if Dick Dastardly was taken from Thomas and Sykes and transformed into the cartoon?

AntiCrash
5th Apr 2004, 02:24
Leave us not forget the Chief of the Fire Brigade, Benny Hill!

Boss Raptor
5th Apr 2004, 08:43
Sykes 'Oh go on sir can't I just stay to watch the Nip take-off' i.e. crash

TT. 'Alright then but don't expect treats like this everytime'

As said before on the Sellers thread I think the wonderful thing about these early comedies is that all the characters/nationalities are so much larger than life...so un PC these days...but it fairly and equally mocks all nationalities including the Brits

PS. my German friends wet themselves at the antics of the 'Germans' especially the one who makes the band noises

Windy Militant
5th Apr 2004, 08:50
Apparently Dastardly and Muttley were modeled on Jack Lemmon "Professor Fate"and Peter Falk "Maximillian 'Max' Meen" From the Great Race. I for one would not be greatly surprised if the follow on to Wacky races, the Vulture squadron was influenced by Those Magnificent men. Either way both are cracking films and the cartoons are a hoot as well. :ok:

Gainesy
5th Apr 2004, 09:07
the antics of the 'Germans' especially the one who makes the band noises

Absolutely classic that, makes me chuckle every time.

Anthony Carn
5th Apr 2004, 09:09
Ah ! Terry Thomas ! Magic !

"Yauuuu an absoluuuuut shaaaaaar !" (tr. You're an absolute shower). :D