PDA

View Full Version : WWW Quick Question about Aptitude tests - I did a search already!

Screwballs
4th Apr 2004, 14:14
Ok from all my reading and researching I am fairly well aware of what goes on in the aptitude tests and I am very grateful for everyone's help. But I have a question:

You know the way the tests are timed? - 30 questions with 40 minutes for example. Well do get timed on how long it takes you personally? ie. If you finish the questions early, should you hand the test up ten minutes ahead of everyone else, or should you keep checking and re-checking your answers up until the buzzer sounds? - you have 40 minutes so use them?

I know some tests are designed to see how many can you complete and its virtually impossible to finish all the questions but please bear with me on this! ;)

Thanks for your patience and help,
Screwballs

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Apr 2004, 08:44
Most tests against a clock will be structured in such a way that only -say- 5% of people will ever finish them all. Thats why you should always ask "Is there negative marking on this test"? If not then set your countdown timer watch to 1 minute less than the test duration - when it beeps just randomly tick answers for the questions you have not got around to tackling yet.

If by some chance you take a test that has plenty of time at the end then I would use that time to check and re-check my answers. Silly mistakes like ticking the wrong box for the right answer do happen.

I've never encountered a test that did record how early you elected to hand it in and leave the room. Although it IS the kind of thing Psychologists would contruct a test around. Testing a Hypothesis such as the earlier you leave the more self confident a personality you have might be a valid measure. I very much doubt any airline gets into those sorts of games though with full blown in-house psychologists and the like. The military have been known to play games like that though. They do look at how you act during overnight stays and at railway stations and the like...

Many computer based questionaires will record how quickly you answered each question and also how many times you reviewed them and made changes.

In that case I would opt for a strategy of tacking your time and trying not to have to make corrections later by opting for haste. In an airline assessment they are probably going to have a bias to wanting cautious right first timers rather than performance chasing I'll sort it out laters.

Best thing - relax, treat it like a game, smile at people,

Cheers

concorde002
5th Apr 2004, 16:47
Hi, just found previous post interesting in terms of the timing of timing of aptitude tests.
Could you provide information regarding Maths testing? The level expected? Time constraints? Any personal suggestions about preparation for a test

Many Thanks

Screwballs
5th Apr 2004, 17:33
Thank you very much for your informative reply.

Hopefully when I've done my bit at doing the tests, I'll do a write up for pprune to put something back into this place, however small.

Thanks,
Screwballs