PDA

View Full Version : Oldest peice of crockery

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 20:14
Draper was just thinking as he made his soldiers for this morning boiled egg, as one is obliged to, if one lives alone.
How old is this bloody butter dish,?
The butter dish is manufactured out of some strange thick pale blue plastic that doesn't look or feel like plastic, but is, and if memmory serves, war origionaly accompanied by cups saucers,milk jug, sugar bowls ect,
Draper remember this when his old ma purchased the set in the early fifties, as stuff made from the amazing new plastics was very de rigueur at that time.
Got to be nearly as old as Draper himself, and seems to have shared most of Drapers life
Whats your oldest piece of kit still in use,in your dwelling, just egg cups sugars bowl ect.
None of this flash chippendale cups and saucers mind, or stradivarious tea pots, just the normal every day stuff.
PS. Drapers favorite turned wooden egg cup seems to have disapeared,and has to be replaced by a stainless steel space age type thing,big brown eggs just don't taste the same out of this receptical alas. :(

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

B.Loser
21st Nov 2001, 20:49
Mornin' Mr. Draper,

Two old white coffee cups, early fifties vintage (been told 1951). The old thick porcelain variety that have an empty weight of ~2 1/2 lbs. You can see the thousands of miniature stress cracks that, over the years have become discolored and stand out.

The same applies here as to your egg cups - for whatever reason, the coffee tastes naturally better from the old mugs. Must be from the years of "seasoning".

Loki
21st Nov 2001, 22:15
What always makes me grin, is when looking around jumble sales, I spot crockery of a pattern I used when a boy and which is still in use round at my mum`s house. Remember all those 1950s weird shaped plates, usually in hideous colours?

Herr Draper: We`re not posh enough to have a butter dish but I think my aged parent has one of those immortal thermosetting plastic things you seem to be describing.

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 22:50
Had a great one of those breakfast cups I think they were called about twice the size of a normal cup, had the saucer also, real posh it was thin as paper, with cissy flowers on it, it made a great cup of tea, just fling in a single tea bag and the porceline(sp) being so thin didn't pinch all the heat when you poured in the boiling water.
Alas the laws of entropy caught up with my cup, my sister in law got me another breakfast cup and saucer, but it hasn't been a big success,its to thick , built like a old fashioned p*ss pot, one would have to put three tea bags in to make a decent cup.
Life is full of small trageties. :(

Flintstone
21st Nov 2001, 23:08
Can't claim to have much in the way of old stuff but I'm sure I shall inherit a few bakelite knives and forks when the parents pop their clogs.

On the subject of favourite drinking vessels mine used to be a so called 'spill proof' mug with a motif that suggested it would not look out of place on an ocean going yacht. The only problem was that the daft ****** who designed it gave it nicely curved sides so that if you moved at all while holding it the liquid would curl smoothly up the sides and out the top.

Current favourite is a 'Thermos' coffee mug with a lid. Almost spill proof (unless you lend it to a helicopter pilot who is incapable of doing two things at once and so drops the mug). Keeps said coffee warm for about half an hour and fits nicely into the car or cockpit.

What about those double egg cups? Wouldn't you have to take alternating spoonfuls out of each to prevent it from toppling half way through the first egg?

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 23:32
Y

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 23:35
Yeh Mr F, Draper looked into the feasability of the stereo egg cup when late wooden one went adrift, One also assumed that a stability problem would be encountered, unless a bilateraly symetrical eating technique was adopted.
Draper favour the small diameter egg cup one that just contains just the base of the egg,and provides stability both vertical and lateral, with the resulting large amount of freeboard on the egg, one then has the ability to intercept overflowing yolk due to over vigorous deployment of soldiers, before said yolk escapes all over the base of the eggcup.
At one time Draper swore by the Bacon and Egg Breakfast, but alas one cannot come by real bacon nowadays, so the civilised person has to make do with the boiled egg and soldiers.
Only those barbarians in the colonies would dream of eating scrambled or poached eggs for ones breakfast. ;)

B.Loser
22nd Nov 2001, 01:16
Speaking of eggs, I forgot about my set of cast iron skillets. Mama Loser claims the medium sized skillet is from the late 30's early 40's. The other three are of various age; late 60's to present. Unfortunately, they didn't get much use for almost 15 years as they became deadly weapons in the hands of the XL (ex-Loser) and I had to hide the dad-gummed things. I tell ya, those suckers would actually peel the hide from the skull if properly swung! Durn near as deadly as a stove lid!

Ah, D., yes - good bacon - I can't vouch for the rest of the country but, in my book, some of the best comes from West Texas. Thick sliced, perfectly aged and seasoned with black pepper - all natural - none of that "hickory flavoring" schit or whatever those Oscar Meyer weiners pour on...

Wow, I'm getting hungry all of a sudden!

henry crun
22nd Nov 2001, 02:20
Ah, old cast iron skillets, got a large one myself. Just the job for perfect even cooking, not like the poncy wafer thin examples that are all the rage these days.

Also great for tenderising steaks or hammering a cleaver through frozen food.

min
22nd Nov 2001, 02:32
I have the knife my mum cut her wedding cake with in the 1940's, and some of her tea cups and saucers, and her mixing bowl also. She died when I was 11, and it's the anniversary of her death today, so it's nice to have some things that she used.

M.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: min ]

tony draper
22nd Nov 2001, 03:00
Got a fossil Trilobite thas 180 million years old, beat that. ;)
Re those cake knife sets, every body seems to have a draw full of them, you know , fancy Knife and sort of trowel in leather case with velvet lining, seems to be a popular but little used wedding pressy.
Another thing I noticed that hang on in families for years are christmass tree decoration, we had some up to a few years ago must have been over a hundred years old.
There was one, a little glass thing shaped like a cottage, I took it to school when I was in the infants, and it had a little slip of paper with my name taped to it so each child would get the right one back after christmas, opened the decoration box a couple of years ago and there it was, with, my name still on it

Mirkin About
22nd Nov 2001, 03:00
I have a china poodle pepper shaker from the 1930's which has seen better days (no ears or tail ) which was given to me by my Grandmother when I was just a wee tuft of a Mirkin,she gave me the set but some china flaked off the salt shaker and got into my eye so she took it away and never let me have it back . This was in the early seventies in the UK.
Imagine my delight when earlier this year I found the exact same set in an antique shop in Victor Harbour South Australia, about as far removed from the Ring'O'Bells pub in Landkey Devon as you can get and not get wet or frozen.
Not only was it the same but it was in perfect condition and only the day before my Grandmothers Birthday. Probably qualifies for Drapers Omens thread as well. In the intervening years the Poodle collection grew to two real ones and over 60 ornaments.Indeed the family tradition of poodle owner ship stretches back to that very Grandmother who owned the original Candy down to the Mirkins who have Candy three and probably will have Candy 4.

pigboat
22nd Nov 2001, 06:05
An old brown crockery tea pot, inherited from my mom who inherited it from her aunt. It has never been disgraced by a "drowned mouse."

FNQTech
22nd Nov 2001, 07:09
I wondered where my fossil trilobite got to. I lost it on the bus about...hmmm 180 million years ago..anyone seen it

DX Wombat
22nd Nov 2001, 09:21
Mr D, you could try looking at the Lakeland website. (They used to be known as Lakeland Plastics) They did have some rather large teacups which didn't seem too thick. I'm not sure whether they would be quite to your taste as they had a flowery design. Lakeland do have shops other than in Windermere (York, Harrogate, etc) but I'm not sure if they have one in lovely Northumberland. Might be able to find out from their website. :) :) :)

OzExpat
22nd Nov 2001, 12:28
I must be the only one who doesn't have anything really old. In fact, the oldest thing I own is the thing that came into the world with me... :D

I'm planning for it to leave the world with me too! :p

arrow2
22nd Nov 2001, 16:54
Draper, I found in the back of a cupboard my old Batman and Robin mug which depicts the two caped heroes leaping off of some unfeasibly high building. Must date back to '63 or '64 when I was all of 3 or 4 years old. My sister had one too which showed both of the aforementioned crusaders jumping into their car - can't find that one - think she must have thrown it at me in one of her many tantrums......

A2 :D

tony draper
22nd Nov 2001, 17:00
Oh Yeh!, forgot about those sort of things, still got my Coronation Mug, Lizzy 2, that is, and my Neil Armstrong First Man On The Moon Mug.
Still got the newspapers from the day of the moon landing, somewhere.

swashplate
22nd Nov 2001, 17:52
Hmmm....nearly all my crockery was bought from some deceased old dear (family put newspaper ad) when I was moving out at 18.

Could be decades old!!! :eek:

Also, got some tupperware biscuit containers that definetly date from the early '70s.....

PilotsPal
22nd Nov 2001, 20:31
draper, the material to which you refer in your first post might be something called mellerware. And regarding your quest for proper bacon, there are pork farmers who sell the genuine article (proper cured bacon and ham from outdoor free range pigs) by post, albeit at a price.

I guess the oldest domestic item I have in the kitchen is my great-grandmother's butter pats (and I suspect very few of you will know what they look like and how to use them!)

The oldest electrical item in regular use is my set of Carmen rollers, bought when they first came out just about 30 years ago for something like 12 guineas.

tony draper
22nd Nov 2001, 20:52
Wow! you must have been posh PP, paying for stuff in guineas, ;)

PilotsPal
23rd Nov 2001, 16:45
12-12-0 - that's 12 guineas, isn't it? An absolute fortune and much more than my miserly allowance from the parents. It was a Christmas present in 1970.

Sorry draper, I thought you of all people would remember guineas!

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 17:13
Of course Draper remembers guineas, PP, the posh shops always had their prices in those,
One was being ironic PP. ;)
Hell I'm suprised I can't remember the golden ones. ;)

HugMonster
23rd Nov 2001, 17:18
I remember guineas - lovely furry little things that Peruvians have running free around the house. My brother (who spent a year there on VSO) related to me how it was the height of hospitality to allow your guest to pick one - it is then stamped on and sent off to the kitchen... :eek: :(

PS draper, check out http://www.wooden.co.uk/PicFrame/800.html

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: HugMonster ]