PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burning

Tosh McCaber
4th Apr 2004, 10:03
Can anyone clarify what I need to do do to a) finish burning a DVD from my Digital 8 Camcoder, which has a DV out socket, and b) make DVD- DVD copies (those without copyright restrictions, of course!)

So far, I have bought Pinnacle Studio V8, whic will enable me to transfer my Video Camera images onto my hard drive. I am just about to buy a DVD Re-writer (I am considering an LG Re-writerfrom Dabs Direct, which has DVD RAM, DVD R+, and DVDR- capabilities, for £78- sounds good).

What burning software do you recommend? I am considering Nero 6, but I see that it burns to something called Mini DVD. Is that going to do the business? Are there alternatives which anyone can recommend? I would like to play DVDs back on my DVD player linked to my television.

Answers and viewpoints will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tosh

Runway 31
4th Apr 2004, 13:30
Hi Tosh,

Pinnacle Studio 8 is good enough for editing recordings. LG writers are fair enough but I suspect at the price quoted it will be a 4 speed drive. It might be better though spending a couple of pounds more and get an 8 speed unit.

I have Nero 6 and it does normal DVD's very well. I use it and it gives me DVD's that I can play back on the DVD attached to the telly.

I have an analogue camcorder and connect it to my computer via a Pinnacle linx usb connector and it works very well.

I use Studio 8 to edit the recording, apply the effects etc then save to the hard disc before using Nero to write to the DVD.

You will need a reasonable spec on your computer Pentium or AMD 2000 or upwards, as rendering takes a good deal of processing power. If you have a slower processor this will take longer to other carry out before the writing process begins.

Other than that its relatively easy.

spannersatcx
4th Apr 2004, 13:32
Looking at the specs for the lg on dabs it comes with B's Recorder GOLD7 which writes DVD's. Nero also does DVD recording, can't remember if it comes with it or if it is an additional plug in, whichever way, it does do it. I would stick with the bundled software to start with and then if you find it is not what you expect then maybe look at something else. I personally use record now max.

Does studio 8 not have a facility to burn to DVD anyway, it may not show at the moment as you do not have a DVD wrter in your pc, when you install it it will show.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Apr 2004, 17:24
Tosh McCaber

Two programs for backing up your DVD Movies are:

DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.com)

DVD Shrink (http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/)

Take Care,

Richard

Tosh McCaber
4th Apr 2004, 22:00
Thanks for the replies, guys. Very interesting- I'll let you have my review of the various suggestions, when I finally hook things up

Monkey_Breath
4th Apr 2004, 22:03
Tosh

To back up you movies

1. Use DVD Decrypter to decode the movie

2. Create a folder with the film name and a subfolder called VIDEO_TS the name is very important as this is what your dvd reads. Now use DVD 2 One to convert the film.

3. Use Stomp Record Now Max to make a data disk. Add the VIDEO_TS file and Bob's your uncle

Only thing you need to be careful of is the size of file.

spannersatcx
5th Apr 2004, 14:46
To be completely compliant with the DVD format you should also add an AUDIO_TS folder even if it will be empty as missing this can cause some DVD players to not recognise the disk as a 'proper' DVD compliant one.