PDA

View Full Version : Palm vs Ipaq

TopBunk
4th Apr 2004, 08:56
Thinking about changing my Palm M500 for something newer and am thinking of the Ipaq 4150 or the Tunsten T3.

Anyone out there with views/personal experiences?

BOAC
4th Apr 2004, 10:42
TB - there are many PDA experts here, so I expect you'll soon get a 'professional' answer, but I chose IPAQ because the functionality with Windows (aaagh!) was more straightforward - and I have not been disappointed.

Keef
4th Apr 2004, 14:48
I bought an iPaq a year or so ago. As delivered, it was very "buggy". It needed about four flash updates to get it to work right, and even then there are some bits that don't. The diary has some obscure and annoying bugs - in the end, I had to buy a proprietary package (Pocket Informant - which is excellent) to make the thing useable as a diary.

The calculator does "currency exchange", but mine won't accept any decimal places in the currencies - so it thinks it's $1 = £1 = Euro 1. Apart from that, it's pretty nifty. They may have fixed the bugs meanwhile, but I'd check the newsgroups before buying!

redsnail
4th Apr 2004, 18:41
Got a Palm Tungsten T3. Brilliant gadget. Easy to use and very versatile. It had documents to go and thus can work with Word and Excel. :D Also reads PDF files too.

silentwitness
5th Apr 2004, 15:16
Agree with redsnail. Got the T3 yesterday, can't fault it yet!

Flying Lawyer
5th Apr 2004, 21:31
I've had the Palm Tungsten T3 since Christmas.
Superb.
Recommended. :ok:

Mishandled
6th Apr 2004, 12:17
I got a T3 at christmas. I am now on my second replacement.:{ Given the choice I would now go for a pocket pc, as I absolutely detest the versamail software that comes with the palm. I also mistrust the moving parts element. i.e. the sliding bit that enlarges the screen. Bound to go wrong in time that is. Nice screen size, poor battery life, esp. when using bluetooth. A decent web browser would be good but I havent found one yet. The Dell Axim looks to be an excellent machine for not much money.

Land After
6th Apr 2004, 21:47
Had an excellennt Palm V for many years, it finally gave up the ghost and was replaced by a Tungsten T just less than a year ago. It worked well with the Mac and sucked up the data from my exisiting Palm like a dream.

/RANT ON
In the space of the year Palm have brought out the T2 and T3 upgrades, making me a little peed off. Progress is one thing, but two new models is another....

Then four weeks ago the touch screen started to go haywire, not responding to the pointer. Having gone through the clean/soft/hard reset, it was time to return to Palm. I struggled with their online return form (failed three times on different days on Mac and PC). I then ran into a dead end with the email support people (who twice asked for my address for a repair order, which I provided, twice) and have since failed to respond to any of my chasing emails.

On top of that, Palm has just discontinued desktop support for new release of Apple OS X.

/RANT OFF

I bought the Palm from Amazon who were good on price and service. I dropped them a mail yesterday explaining my woes with Palm and they promised my a full refund on the return of the dead device.

Well done Amazon :ok:
Drop dead palm - I'll be taking my PDA refund somewhere else! :mad:

Anyone seen the new Sony P900 PDA/Phone.......

wandrinabout
11th Apr 2004, 06:59
The sony P900 looks to me to be the bee's knees.
Been sniffing around at what to spend my hard earned on, and the P900 seems to be the way to go. The only thing I'm not entirely convinced of is the Symbian OS (just a minor issue!)
Anyone have any experience with it??

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2004, 08:37
Got an iPAQ. Worked a treat from day one. Runs all the usual stuff, reminds me of my schedule so I don't forget meetings and birthdays. wakes me up in the morning. Runs Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat and so on. I find that Excel is a bit useless on any miniature screen though - iPAQ or Palm. With my eyeballs if I set the thing to a size I can see, there's only about three cells in view! I like being able to run Powerpoint presentations on-the-go for practice. I've also managed to get it to recognize my handwriting which saves me lots of tapping on the tiny keyboard.

İhris
12th Apr 2004, 17:14
iPaq h1935 Works great. PocketPC 2003 is a great improvement over the previous version.

I recommend iPaq.