PDA

View Full Version : England win series in West Indies

BALIX
4th Apr 2004, 09:21
Well cricket lovers, thirty-six years since the last series win in the West Indies and England have finally done it again. Not only that, they wiped the floor with the hosts and could quite easily clean sweep them by winning the last of the four tests next week.

Of course the West Indies are in something of a rut at the moment and before our Antipodean friends start, yes, I know we are still some way behind the Aussies, but I don't think that those reasons are sufficient for us to stop feeling good about an England sports team for the second time in a few months :ok:

All we need to do now is to win Euro 2004 and (along with the rest of Britain) a sh!tload of medals in Athens. ;) :p

surely not
4th Apr 2004, 14:35
Balix. do not be so glum about how far behind the Aussies we are. If the pace attack stays fit, I reckon we'll tie the series over here then beat the Aussies in their own back yard to reclaim the ashes.

Then it will be India as the team to beat followed by England, with New Zealand and Australia fighting for third place.

Jerricho
4th Apr 2004, 22:30
There is only one response to that........surely not!:E

Fletchers Left Boot
5th Apr 2004, 07:44
We could do with a top-class spinner - Ashley Giles sadly aint that.
Now if only Warney was English......

surely not
5th Apr 2004, 13:43
I think the Aussie decline ha started. The batting appears to be solid in the way of old, but the bowling is not as formidable and during the next 18 months it is only going to get worse due to retirements and injuries.

separator
5th Apr 2004, 16:14
Surely not , I think that you have spotted our weakness. It may take us as long as 14 days to win the next Ashes series. We are definitely on the slippery slope.

sep

5th Apr 2004, 16:35
The only reason that the Aussies keep winning, is that they are genetically programmed to run very fast. It's a trait that's been inherited from their ancestors, who were used to legging it away from the old bill.:\

airshowpilot
5th Apr 2004, 16:36
Let's not get carried away...but we have done a great job so far in the WI, especially the bowlers! Michael Vaughn couldn't have wished for any more.

The good news is that there is serious competition for bowling places at last with Anderson, a very useful bowler, chomping at the bit on the bench. We need to do the the same with the batting. Ed Smith and Kevin Pietersen should be pushing for a place in the test side soon I hope with perhaps Nasser stepping down after this summer.

We are still missing a world class spinner though. Perhaps we should have some reality nationwide talent scouting programme for a leg spinner instead of those singing 'talent' shows?:yuk: Just a thought...

redsnail
5th Apr 2004, 20:34
True the Ozmates from about 200 years ago weren't exactly on the right side of the law, they couldn't have run very fast cos they got caught! :D
Says me, part convict :ok:
So, what happened to the local lads that obviously got away? Didn't they breed enough? :))