PDA

View Full Version : CX Vision Standards - Distance and Colour?

Wiggum75
3rd Apr 2004, 22:51
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the distance vision standards for the medical. Also, does anyone know what kind of colour vision testing is done? I have trouble with the Ishihara and lantern tests but passed the Farnsworth D-15 which works in Canada. Do they use the 24- or 38-plate Ishihara? The 24-plate version is online at

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/teares/gktvc/vc/lt/colourblindness/cblind.htm

and apparently there are small numbers on the real plates (1-24) that you could use to "help" recognize what you are supposed to see.

Thanks in advance!

skypeeper
9th Apr 2004, 07:08
Hiya, well when I got my HK CAD medical they put me through the Ishihara 24 plate test......twice at the doctor's office then I got sent to an ophthalmologists to do more things to my eyes (including one where I had to see him waving his hands about rather frantically)...and at the latter location I also had a 24 plate Ishihara pulled out on me.

Also remember doing a medical for the CX Cadetship years back before I left HK and they also pulled out the 24 plate Ishihara. Practically on the verge of memorising those plates by now, I think!

I think it's safe to say that that's what they use as a standard. As for the visual acuity, for distance, the HK CAD requires that you bring your vision back up to 20/20, with or without corrective lenses. There's no maximum correctable limit, and they brought this in line with the ICAO which had dropped the limit clause in Nov 2001 I think. Which really helped me when I got my HK CAD because before they used to place a limit on 20/200. The airlines, however, may have their own policy on visual acuity, uncorrected, who knows. I'm crossing my fingers as much as the next person.... but I hope my little tidbit helps! Good luck to you :ok:

Wiggum75
9th Apr 2004, 16:44
Every little bit DOES help, but that was was more than a bit. Thanks for the helpful and complete info.

Cheers! :D

fhchiang
11th Jun 2004, 04:24
skypeeper ..

are u a pilot working in HK?

Simma
11th Jun 2004, 07:28
I spoke with a Dr. Cox from the Cathay Medical Department last week, According to him, CX would accept you no matter what your prescription, so long as it was correctable to 20/20. Also provided that you don't have any other eye disease.

skypeeper
15th Jun 2004, 08:23
fhchiang,

Pilot in HKG, yes, working, nope! I tend to do most flying in the States. I just tend to come home when I need a medical update, the docs here are really great.

peeps :p