PDA

View Full Version : What does the World think of Canada?

Rollingthunder
3rd Apr 2004, 18:51
(clears throat)

Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack,
or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo
or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister,
not a President.
I speak English and French,
NOT American.
and I pronouce it ABOUT,
NOT A BOOT.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT,
A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!
AND I AM CANADIAN!

(recent (sort of) ad for beer)

Coconuts
3rd Apr 2004, 19:02
They don't like the Yanks that's for sure! :}

Coco

Ozzy
3rd Apr 2004, 19:31
Canada is cold. Anyone ever done the rooftop, open air, pool at the Montreal Hilton? Outside in Jan 2003, in the pool, minus 29C, feckin cold.

Ozzy
cripes Coconuts, the water was 85F the air temp was -29C

Coconuts
3rd Apr 2004, 19:36
You're obviously a sucker for punishment mate :\

Coco

AeroSpark
3rd Apr 2004, 19:48
Canada:

Ice Hockey :ok:
Jacques Villeneuve :yuk:
Avril Lavigne :E

Alanis Morrisette :}

BTW, what do you guys call our national game, football or soccer?

Edited due to @rse spelling

Boss Raptor
3rd Apr 2004, 19:52
A Canadian girlfriend (or is that Canadien...) from Montreal told me 'we are slow...because of the wheat'?!

BlueWolf
3rd Apr 2004, 20:32
I hear tell British Columbia is beginning to produce some very interesting Pinot Noirs these days. I have a hankering to go and check it out.

Can I take my .270 with me and will I be able to shoot with lead, and what restrictions will there be on my entering Canada on either a New Zealand or British passport?

mattpilot
3rd Apr 2004, 20:37
canada sucks

;)

Davaar
3rd Apr 2004, 21:19
But Ozzy, the water is warm. Same thing in the open air pool at the Sunshine Village ski resort in Alberta.

Ozzy
3rd Apr 2004, 21:26
Aye, twer fine Davaar. But they all spoke froggy...and when I tried to speak froggy, they replied in Anglais. Ticked me off a wee bit it did.

Ozzy

Davaar
3rd Apr 2004, 21:44
My dear Ozzy, I was careful to limit my comment to the one very limited topic.

The motto is: "You can't do that to us. We're Canadian". I am talking here about da Henglish. I generally get along very well withn the French (-Canadians, that is).

Please don't start a thread on the United Empire Loyalists.

BALIX
3rd Apr 2004, 22:16
Any country that gave the world (ice) hockey is the dogs bolleaux to me.

Smashing place, would like to spend more time there. In the winter as well to experience a) the ball-busting cold and b) the hockey. :ok:

G085H1TE
3rd Apr 2004, 23:02
Personally, I think Canada is a wonderful country.

Beautiful scenery, lovely people, relaxed and friendly - I love it.

In fact in a 'Mr and Mrs' type quiz at a Christmas party once (yes, I know it sounds pathetic) the question was asked to Mrs G085H1TE "if your hubby emigrated, where would he go" - quick as a flash she said "Canada"...and she was right.

To answer the original question, I think Canada has a fine and enviable reputation in the world. :ok:

I dread to think what the world thinks of the UK these days.:(

goates
4th Apr 2004, 01:46
BlueWolf,

Judging by the number of Kiwis at the local Irish Rugby Club you shouldn't have much trouble with a Kiwi passport. My dad didn't either when he moved here many years ago from Matamata.

goates

skydriller
4th Apr 2004, 03:47
I like Canada too, especially the western side. Warm and friendly bunch generally, but whats up with the French lot? Les Quebecois or whatever - met quite a few ass:mad: les from there....

Ozzy
4th Apr 2004, 04:08
I love the Canadians. They are cool.

Ozzy

TamedBill
4th Apr 2004, 05:36
I've always perceived Canadians as a more refined version of Americans.

Rollingthunder
4th Apr 2004, 06:22
If anyone's interested, William Shatner (who is a Canadian) did a hilarious parody of the above beer commercial.

Hey,
I'm not a Starfleet commander
or T.J. Hooker.
I don't live on Starship NCC-1701 or own a phaser.
I don't know anyone named Bones, Sulu or Spock.
And no, I've never had green alien sex - although I'm sure it would be quite an evening.
I speak English and French, not Klingon.
I drink Labatt's, not Romulan ale.
And when someone says to me, 'Live long and prosper,' I seriously mean it when I say 'Get a life!'.
My doctor's name is not McCoy, it's Ginsberg.
And Tribbles were puppets! Not real animals! Puppets!
And when I speak, I never, ever, talk / like / every / word / is / its / own / sentence!...
I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal.
I believe in Priceline.com, where you never have to pay full price for airline tickets, hotels and car rentals.
I have appeared on stage at Stratford, Carnegie Hall, Albert Hall and at the Monkland Theatre in NDG (Notre Dame de Grace).
And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before. But I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission.
My name is William Shatner and I AM CANADIAN."

G-ALAN
4th Apr 2004, 07:25
They don't like the Yanks that's for sure!
Yeah I found that out on Friday night when I asked a Canadian bloke if he was American :ouch: I can't tell the difference between the accents (or the attitudes) y'see

Loki
4th Apr 2004, 11:10
I liked it so much last year, I`m taking mrs Loki there again this Summer. Am curious to know what Nanaimo is like: anyone know?

Gainesy
4th Apr 2004, 11:56
Canada. My favourite place to visit until I visited Sith Effrika.
(Yer need more game).

Resolute in early February is a bit nippy.

Er, thats it.

PaperTiger
4th Apr 2004, 17:04
Am curious to know what Nanaimo is like: anyone know?

Nanaimo is a Haida word meaning 'land of many strip malls'. ;)
Nice enough little town, pretty harbour (full of floatplanes :ok: ) but not really a vacation destination IMHO. Lots of prettier places up and down the nearby coast - Qualicum, Parksville. Campbell River a bit further North has great fishing. I'd say a day or so is enough for Nanaimo then rent a car and toodle around. Go over to the West coast (Tofino) for sure.

Jerricho
4th Apr 2004, 19:03
I like Canada so much..........I MOVED HERE!

(Although the locals still can't get their heads around how an Aussie, who livedand worked in England, married an Irish girl and moved to Winnipeg actually got here!)

Loki
4th Apr 2004, 19:09
Paper Tiger:

Thanks, I`m going to Tofino, only stopping in Nanaimo on the way back for one night prior to getting the ferry.

EDDNHopper
4th Apr 2004, 19:15
Canada: :ok:

Sith Effrika :ok:

Family vacation will be in the latter this year, however...

I still have a certificate somewhere claiming me being a member of the order of "true bold arctic adventurers" - handed out to everyone who paid his first visit to the Northwest Territories (back in the 1970s, that was).

Vancouver: :ok:

Coconuts
4th Apr 2004, 19:22
Think I passed through Nanaimo, could have been where our bl**dy bus broke down for half a day on the east coast of the island, on our way to Tofino, you might even see some brown bears if you're lucky pn route to the west coast of the island. Latter is beautiful mate, went whale watching on a real jaw smacker of a boat & saw some whales real close up. Fab :ok: Then we went to some island where you do a long boardwalk thought a temperate forest to these sulphuric hotsprings where you can relax in naturally heated pools, dead on mate! :D

There's some lake too where the largest fire dowsing planes in the world are parked, swam in it but can't member the name for the life of me, Cyclic Hotline would be able to help you in that department.

There's no need to spend a fortune on accom either mate, I stayed in a fab hostel on the waterfront, can't remember its name but its well to be recommended, bl**dy beautiful it is. I could have stayed alot longer there even though the town itself is quite small, I'm a very happy camper when I'm beside the sea, get mesmorised by it.

Unfortunately due to our mishap on the east side of the island it shortened my time there major time. That 'Long Beach' in the 'Pacific Coastal Rim Park' or something is well worth a stroll on, had to walk through another lovely temperate forest to get to it & climb over huge logs.

Enjoy, I'd love to return someday :{

Coco

BUMPFF
4th Apr 2004, 22:30
Canada? Biggest village in the world. Next to Australia.

hostie
4th Apr 2004, 22:39
Loki

You'll love Vancouver Island, Nanaimo isn't that bad, but I agree that there are prettier places.

We visited friends on Gabriola Island which is a tiny community living in the forest, great ferry trip.

It definitely pays to find out about B&Bs there are some of the BEST in the world, try the tourist information centres, web sites.
I stayed in a fantastic B&B just outside Parksville, I'll try and remember the details for you, it had an outside hot-tub and they had bald eagles nesting and a clear view of the strait and mainland Vancouver, it was stunning and the rooms had all mod cons, kitchenettes, tv and video, cd players and a library of books and videos, very cosy.

The general idea seems to be that you have breakfast on one large table, which is much more civilised than everyone whispering at little tables for two, you meet some great people.

I can't recommend it enough

pigboat
4th Apr 2004, 22:54
Go see fellow prooner Chuck Ellsworth in Naniamo and buy him a beer. He's gettin' on and don't get out much anymore. ;)

PaperTiger
5th Apr 2004, 15:38
There's some lake too where the largest fire dowsing planes in the world are parked

Sproat Lake, on the road to Tofino. And I think anchored would be a more appropriate term :D

http://www.martinmars.com/

MarkD
5th Apr 2004, 20:35
I also liked the place so much I set up shop, though mrs MarkD being from here did have some hand in it :D

plenty of kiwis around North Toronto - a Southern Cross flies not too far from my gaff...

Chaffers
6th Apr 2004, 03:36
Only been to Toronto but really liked it. Could have spent 5 weeks just in the strip bars but got to see a lot of the city.

Didn't manage to meet anyone who wasn't quite shockingly nice. One chap even appologised for farting at the Urinals. :confused:

Good place, one of me mates is moving there so hopefully will see more of it.

Ace Rimmer
6th Apr 2004, 07:22
Montreal :ok:
Toronto :ok: :ok:
Vancouver :ok: :ok: :ok:

Haven't been lucky enough to see the rest of the place. Pity about the weather though I'm not big into cold great in summer though..

SpinSpinSugar
6th Apr 2004, 09:47
Liked it so much I'm in the process of emigrating.

:ok:

Cheers,

SSS

squire
7th Apr 2004, 00:32
WHOOPS! (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/05/international/americas/05SEAL.html?ex=1081742400&en=f408537349c65acf&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE)

MarkD
7th Apr 2004, 20:23
they only did that to get protesters to come and spend money in PEI... times are tough and innovation is good in tourism :D

Jerricho
7th Apr 2004, 23:15
Liked it so much I'm in the process of emigrating

Really!?!? Where you off to?

Ozzy
7th Apr 2004, 23:25
squire where do yer think pup seal and chips comes from??? A local favourite in Labrador:rolleyes:

Ozzy

pigboat
7th Apr 2004, 23:54
Never mind th' swiles lads, lets club a few reporters! :cool:

Huron Topp
8th Apr 2004, 01:29
Guess we're all lucky thats pigs and cows ain't cute. I'd die of starvation.:p Actually, seal ain't too bad eaten, but really stinks up the kitchen.:}

I'm in the process of emigrating as well...from Nova Scotia to PEI. Anybody ever decide to visit, let me know and I'll lay on all the lobster you can eat...FREE.:ok:

pigboat
8th Apr 2004, 01:36
Prolly be driving to the Rock via North Sydney next summer. Let ya know if I do. They still have the ferry to Cape Tourmantine? Ya ain't getting me on that bloody bridge, I'm scared of heights. :eek:

Huron Topp
8th Apr 2004, 01:45
Quite sorry, old man, the ferry to the Cape is no longer. The bridge is the deal. Actually speeds the trip up by hours. No more waiting, and waiting and waiting...just a quick 10 min drive across. However, coming through from Sydney, there is still the ferry from Caribou(Pictou) over to Wood Islands ('bout 1hr E of Ch'town).

Scared a heights? Must be why yer a pigboat driver then, eh?:}