PDA

View Full Version : Which Shirt?

Jinkster
3rd Apr 2004, 15:48
Asking advice from ppruners on JB :rolleyes: but here goes - I am looking for a shirt to go with my black suit. Preferably blue any opinions from prooners.

Which make of shirt? I am looking to spend in the region of £30 to £40

tony draper
3rd Apr 2004, 15:53
Dress shirts to go with a dark suit should be only one colour and thats white, any other makes one look like a spiv IMHO.
:rolleyes:

Crótalo
3rd Apr 2004, 16:16
If it's for an airline interview, have you heard the old saying:

"Dark suit, white shirt, red tie"

A tried and true formula, whether or not it's an airline interview -- one website I looked at, just for reference, said that "you can't miss" anywhere with that combination. In other words, it always looks good.

Anthony Carn
3rd Apr 2004, 17:45
M & S polyester and cotton, white, long sleeve.

Or Tesco ditto.

Send me the leftover cash as a mark of gratitude. :rolleyes:

Yours faithfully, Compo Clegg. :}

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 17:56
Jinkster,

Dark blue shirt definately with a black suit for the wow factor,
Designer doesn't matter so long as its quality.

;)

Anthony Carn
3rd Apr 2004, 18:10
I think he's looking for an interview shirt after his grovelling session with the bmibaby MD. :rolleyes: ;)

M.Mouse
3rd Apr 2004, 18:10
Dark blue shirt definately with a black suit for the wow factor

and you want to look like a pimp.

Jinkster
3rd Apr 2004, 18:19
Exams first, then interview

tony draper
3rd Apr 2004, 18:20
Indeed one would definatly need a pearl handled nickel plated Walther to go with that ensemble, and a large medalion on a thick gold chain.

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 18:37
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the shirts for other events as well as an interview??
And blue does not look like 'a pimp' it's actually the fashion!!!!!

:hmm:

surely not
3rd Apr 2004, 18:41
Don't fret Buffy 747

methinks M. Mouse is of a similar age to Mr. Draper, probably well over 50.

The trouble is he hasn't replaced his demob suit yet :D :rolleyes:

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 18:45
Hahaha, at least you understand fashion surley not, and have style!!

:ok:

seacue
3rd Apr 2004, 18:47
White shirt, forget the fleeting fashions.

But I'm reminded of my boss of a decade ago. A really, really bright fellow with a PhD in Electrical Engineering. An all-around great fellow, but his name was "Italian" and he tended toward brown dress shirts with a cream-coloured tie.:O

surely not
3rd Apr 2004, 18:53
Obviously you are a tatty, couldn't care less how I look kind of girl who buys only from Charity shops then Coconuts??

My first reaction was that you'd just had your whiskas and needed a slurp of milk ;) ;)

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 18:53
Hmmmm, brown shirt and cream tie. Hmmmmmm

:yuk:

tony draper
3rd Apr 2004, 18:56
Trouble is the interview will prolly be conducted by someone of Drapes vintage,we urinate on fashion, anyone appearing before Drapes clad in suit with a blue shirt berra be applying only for the window cleaners job.

surely not
3rd Apr 2004, 18:58
Personally, I think it is nice to look a little individual rather than, regulation Dark Suit, White Shirt, boring tie.

Look at all the unsmiling, unhappy, boring farts who dress like that :yuk: :yuk:

Not keen on Brown shirt and cream tie though :yuk:

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 19:01
Fair comment Tony, we are all individuals and have different tastes

;)

tony draper
3rd Apr 2004, 19:08
As you may have noticed, the world is run by people in dark suits and white shirts.
The social security office has queues of the fashion conscious awaiting their number being called.

flyblue
3rd Apr 2004, 19:11
I agree with Drapes on white shirt. Definitely white with black suit. Italian if possible:cool:

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 19:17
Like I said Tony, we all have different tastes, and opinions.

tony draper
3rd Apr 2004, 19:18
For a interview definatly, it shows a williness to conform,nonconformity may appeal in other situations, but not in a one where a first impression count for a great deal.

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 19:32
So, are alot of pilots 'fashion conscious' wearing blue shirts?!?
That's obviously the companies decision for them to wear blue, can't be that bad!!

Anthony Carn
3rd Apr 2004, 19:55
Of course, for an interview with a lo-cost airline, butt naked would show the correct attitude to cost-cutting.

OK, maybe add a nappy, being bmibaby ?

White, of course.....no argument there !

Do I know how to impress, or what ? :rolleyes:

M.Mouse
3rd Apr 2004, 20:00
it's actually the fashion

Still gives the appearance of a pimp.

Oh, and actually well under 50 but possessing taste.

Coconuts
3rd Apr 2004, 20:10
butt naked would show the correct attitude to cost-cutting.
If pilots working for low cost airlines want to go to work butt naked there will be no complaints from these quarters.

Yours in fervent anticipation!. :D

Coco

Jetlegs
3rd Apr 2004, 21:02
Rather a liberal attitude for someone who got her knickers in a twist over a few cleavage pics.

surely not
3rd Apr 2004, 21:03
yep obviously Mao Tse Tung was on the right lines, uniformity of dress for all, he just didn't have the right uniform.

No original thought needed to choose clothes in the morning,

I agree that looking smart is a pre requisite for a job interview, but if everyone looks the same it gets so easy to confuse one applicant with another.

Ozzy
3rd Apr 2004, 21:06
get yerself a collarless white shirt with cufflinks and pearl neck button (yer know wot I mean). Just the job.

Ozzy

brockenspectre
3rd Apr 2004, 21:15
Jinks for that price you can pick up a decent shirt at Gieves or Lewins..in fact several of the City shirtmakers are running a 3 for price of 2 on shirts... all styles, colours, weaves. Key is to have a shirt that fits you, is pure cotton and is ironed to perfection! Interviewers can tell the difference between a shirt just out of its packet (with those odd creases) and one that has been prepared !! :ok: As for colour? Trust your instinct... after all, is it YOU that is interviewing and you know, or should by now know, what impression you wish to create! :)

topcat450
3rd Apr 2004, 21:34
Best shirts I own (although are a bit pricey) are Charles Thyrwitt...he has a website...and often has deals on to bring the prices down to £30-£40 per shirt. Hmmm yup, far too good for a normal day at the office though.

BlueDiamond
4th Apr 2004, 01:54
I like the look of a light to medium blue shirt with a dark suit ... but not a very dark blue shirt. The white shirt/dark suit combination is extremely conservative although a little funeral-directorish and may be the better choice for an interview where you may be faced with ultra-conservative people. On the other hand, if you turn up looking like a funeral director and find yourself facing a panel of young trendies, then you're equally screwed.

Whichever shirt you do choose, make sure it is the best you can get and that it has proper foldback cuffs for your cufflinks). Make sure the collar fits properly and that the sleeves are the correct length. Wash it at least twice before you wear it to get rid of the "dressing" in the fabric that can cause skin irritation - not a good look to be scratching at oneself at an interview.

Give plenty of thought to which tie you will wear with your shirt and bear in mind that anything red or yellow may make you look too much like a used car salesman ... they always wear those in the mistaken belief that it makes them look conservative and smart. TIE THE TIE PROPERLY ... if you don't know how to tie a full Windsor then find someone who does. There is nothing worse than a skinny little single knot which allows the top shirt buttons to show ... it looks dreadful.

Good luck with it mate.

Anthony Carn
4th Apr 2004, 06:28
......bear in mind that anything red or yellow may make you look too much like a used car salesman ...
Spot on then, if it is bmi. :rolleyes:

Can someone please explain how a £50 shirt differs from a, say, £15 shirt ?

It's not as if their tailored to the wearer's specific measurements. They're off-the-peg ! The material quality is'nt that obvious. They all crease up the same. They all get sweaty the same.

It's just a flippin shirt !

twilightsglow
4th Apr 2004, 07:19
Looks like the rubber ducky tie is out of the running, since it's mostly yellow. :)

M.Mouse
4th Apr 2004, 09:18
TIE THE TIE PROPERLY ... if you don't know how to tie a full Windsor

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

avoman
4th Apr 2004, 09:48
The importance of tie knots...why spoil a nice shirt with a little lop sided tie knot? Tony Blair a typical example. Take a look next time you see his picture.
Blue Diamond is half right. For most occasions a full windsor is far too big. A nice symmetrical half windsor knot for all occasions, forget the rest!
tie knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/halfwindsor.html)

tony draper
4th Apr 2004, 10:13
The ability to tie a perfectly symetrical and "small" windsor knot is a life skill, like the ability to soft boil a egg to perfection, or the knowledge of the 17 different ways of killing a opponent using just the cardboard tube from a kitchen roll, these are skills every man should master.

Jinkster
4th Apr 2004, 10:19
I was looking at this shirt - any opinions?

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdId=SCPTSB____&CurrentCategory=Home%7cMen%7cColour+Blue+Pattern

Still looking - so if it looks dreadful - please dont shoot me!!!! :\

henry crun
4th Apr 2004, 10:40
What about a snappy bow tie Jinks ? has the advantage that a single or double ended is easier to tie than a convential one. :)

ratsarrse
4th Apr 2004, 12:04
Go for pure cotton - all those other fabric mixes can potentially contribute to additional sweatiness in those stressful interview situations.

Easy care and no-iron shirts. Pah! I can't believe I was taken in so easily. How do these people get away with perpetrating such an evil lie?

Edited just to say: half windsor every time for me (but it's the only knot I know).

flyblue
4th Apr 2004, 12:24
I'd say this (http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdId=IPTWHT____&CurrentCategory=Home%7cMen%7cColour+White) one or this (http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdId=QSTWHT____&CurrentCategory=Home%7cMen%7cColour+White) (but hard to see the material from the picture...)

seacue
4th Apr 2004, 13:03
A question from the colonies.

How is one supposed to know all the "school" ties in order avoid a gaffe?

Gainesy
4th Apr 2004, 13:13
White socks are a must for an interview.:E

pzu
4th Apr 2004, 13:33
Seacue

A question from the colonies.

How is one supposed to know all the "school" ties in order avoid a gaffe?

I think the answer is 'one only needs to recognise one tie':p

PZU

Out of Africa
(a cabbage patch)
:cool:

BlueDiamond
4th Apr 2004, 13:49
White socks are a must for an interview
Gainesy, that's a very, very naughty thing to say.

Go straight to my room. :E

surely not
4th Apr 2004, 14:18
earrings or an eyebrow piercing also go well with future employers!

You should ensure that you have plenty of gum to chew throughout the interview, and sniff a lot to ensure that the interview doesn't drag on :D :D

Gainesy
4th Apr 2004, 17:22
No sniffing, blow your nose on yer tie.

BD,
Fix yer own Landie:)

Bre901
4th Apr 2004, 20:53
One or two raw garlic cloves just before the interview are a must. :}

You never know, you might be facing a vampire :uhoh: :uhoh:

takenthe5thamendment
4th Apr 2004, 21:40
A man in a white shirt and any tie............with the accompanying suit, of course, is velly velly sexy!;)

Without the suit and with socks on............nah! :D

DishMan
5th Apr 2004, 09:54
Jinkster,

Mine were made for me in HK US$30 each IIRC.

Worth every cent! They fit well the sleeves are exactly the right length, initials on one cuff in white cotton is diififcult to see (not ostentatious but subtle) and they have lasted and lasted....need a trip to HK again to top up!

Seriously - if it's an interview - white shirt plain tie. NO flashy cufflinks just plain- think discreet! Windsor knot ( :ok: BD) can not abide ties tied with a sloppy knot all skew whiff.
And above all make sure it's comfortable - you don't want to be in an interview pulling at your collar or trying to hide cuffs that are too long!
POLISH the shoes!

Uum - are we all off track and you really only wanted advice on a shirt??? :ugh:

surely not
6th Apr 2004, 11:24
So with all this advice Jinks, what did you go for in the end?

DTYSAPCO
5th Dec 2004, 14:27
What about a Harris tweed jacket

:}

Jinkster
4th May 2005, 19:55
Just bought a very light blue Van Heusen shirt from the House of Fraser sale!

HKK shirt for $30 - which retailer?

Cheers for all the advice,

Jinkster

SyllogismCheck
4th May 2005, 20:06
Amazing.... You take even longer to shop than any woman I've ever known! :rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
4th May 2005, 20:13
Nooooooooo.

Light blue's all wrong. Take it back and get a white one. Pull yourself together man.

Mr Chips
4th May 2005, 22:44
Fer cryin' out loud Onan, it took him a year to buy it. Don't suggest going back.....

(Marks and Spencer, White Cotton Oxford, or possibly a nice blue one)

Actually, thinking about it, I don't have much need for all the shirts I USED TO wear to work..... any offers??? :E :E

Chips. Happy and almost free

BlueDiamond
5th May 2005, 02:33
Bloody 'ell, mate ... did you get lost on the way to the shops? Lose your wallet? Stop for coffee on the way? Have you been wearing that suit without any shirt all this time?

I think we should be told. ;)

SyllogismCheck
5th May 2005, 22:24
If he suddenly realised he forgot to pick up a tie to suit BD we may be waiting another year for that answer. :rolleyes: