PDA

View Full Version : Best Anti-virus/ Firewall package.

SuperOwl
2nd Apr 2004, 22:45
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you guys or girls could give me any feedback in respect of who you think provides the best internet protection.

I currently swear by Norton Internet Security yet my dad uses the McAfee version and I've also heard of a product by a company called Etrust (not sure about the spelling). I have bought a new PC and my Norton Internet Security subscription runs out next month so I will be in a position to change should I be convinced that a change would be worth it.

Also, if anybody can inform me of what the rules are with these packages in respect of how many computers you can install these packages on that would also be useful. The reason I ask is that I understand that you need a package per computer which to me seems a little harsh considering that if I was allowed to, I would only install it on my desktop PC and my laptop, both of which would only be used in my home on the same telephone line. I would only use the laptop to go online if I didn't want to sit in my study at my PC, nothing more sinister than that.

Anyway, although the last paragraph was quite lengthy, I am more bothered about which Internet Security package you recommend based on how secure it is.

Many thanks in advance,

SuperOwl.

PretoriaSillyperson
2nd Apr 2004, 23:48
OK.

i. Mac and Norton can slow down your PC but this can be solved with their own net based patches
ii. You can get all the virus protection you need for free
iii. Look at the BIG thread in this forum on "Protecting your PC agin nasties"
iv. Go to housecall.trendmicro.com and run a free online virus checker - if you're on Dial-Up then it could take a while
v. You're in the UK, so go to computeractive.co.uk and map to "Downloads" then bag:

AdAware (cookies and other nasties)
Zone Alarm (firewall)
AVG (Anti Virus)

AdAware isn't active - i.e. Once on your HDD you'll need to run it and u/date it manually
ZA and AVG will run in the background and require weekly updates (minimum)

Yours aye,

PSP
London

btw - it you buy Mac then you can install it on multpile PCs - no worries - at least none that I've encountered

3rd Apr 2004, 07:19
I had Norton on my PC and threw it out after a few months. Didnt find it user friendly and didnt find Norton-support very user friendly either!!
Then went and bought the whole package from McAfee. The "internet security" batch. Am very happy with it and have been using it for 2 years odd now. Great product.

Snoopy
5th Apr 2004, 00:50
I use Mcafee Virus Scan and Firewall online. It's an annual subscription and checks for updates every time you log on to the internet, or if you have an always-on connection, at regualr intervals.

It can be be used on more than one PC at a time. I have been using it for over two years and have never had any problems.