PDA

View Full Version : Frequent flier ticket allocation...

Self Loathing Freight
1st Apr 2004, 20:29
Hello all,

I have a question as to how the airlines allocate FF tickets. I am a United flier with a few miles to use for tickets. The last three attempts to redeem miles have ended with frustration as United did not have seats available. I am a reasonable vacation planner so these were not last minute attempts. Granted, the destinations were popular.

Last night I tried to use miles for August travel and again was met with no options. I quizzed the reservationist who said that the number of FF seats varies based on the number of tickets sold and is constantly in flux. Can anyone shed some light on the algorithm used to determine the number of FF seats available?

SLF

christep
2nd Apr 2004, 04:25
This is quite a specific question - different airlines have different approaches to this - can I suggest that you will get a much better response if you ask it over at the United forum at http://www.flyertalk.com

PAXboy
2nd Apr 2004, 11:17
Good suggestion, each airline will have it's own permutation. For example, Virgin Atlantic: If using FFMs to upgrade to a higher cabin, they 'need' to have both an 'upgradeable' seat and an empty seat of the type you want. So, if they HAVE an empty seat in, say, Upper Class but it is allocated to be available for an upgrading pax, if it is the last Upper seat available on that flight - then they will not allow you to have it as an upgrade.

Naturally, they have to keep seats open for paying pax but it can mean hit and miss. Also, in the peak months, they all reduce the number of FFM seats available for obviosu reasons. Booking for seats opens, typically, 364 days before the flight.

Self Loathing Freight
2nd Apr 2004, 14:28
I'll give that a try.:ok:

SLF

Globaliser
2nd Apr 2004, 15:21
Self Loathing Freight: You might want to try it at hours when the US is asleep. They've just installed new bulletin board software and the site is so slow you'd think it was still down. When you can get on, though, it's a mine of good information, particularly about each airline's regular passengers' favourite subjects.

Self Loathing Freight
2nd Apr 2004, 16:43
I started my tour of the site and have to say the slowness was terrible, even on my T1 work connection. It got so bad trying to load the United page I gave up. I'll give it some time and try later.

SLF

christep
2nd Apr 2004, 23:55
Yes - the timing of my suggestion was poor given the "upgrade". Unfortunately the powers that be at Flyertalk seem to have forgotten the old maxim "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". :)