PDA

View Full Version : Good ATP notes

Xtra
1st Apr 2004, 17:48
Hi

I need to know who has the best ATP notes here in SA ?
Believe FTC notes are good(were good), but Flight school gone.....
Aeronav has self study notes, no lectures needed, is that correct ?
I did my Comm 10 years ago.......self study....I dont know.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Xtra.

Skaz
2nd Apr 2004, 15:07
having just wrote the exams, I can tell you this.......to be prepared, youre gonna have to study your CPL notes again, and get all the ALTP notes out there and study them ALL for every subject youre writing.

Why?

Because in the ALTP ATG exam you get.......wait for it .......

Questions re material thats not discussed in the FTC or Aeronav notes, CPL level ATG questions and ......Flightplanning and MET questions!!!!!!!!!!

Think I'm joking?

Go write and see for yourself. Its bloody ridiculous.:yuk: :mad:

Xtra
2nd Apr 2004, 19:17
Hi Skaz

Thanks for the info, this sounds like real serious work...
Would you recommend going to lectures...?
Would they cover all that needs to be known in lectures.

Cheers

silverknapper
3rd Apr 2004, 15:56
CFA at grand central had a good reputation last time I was there, around 8 months ago

wheels up
4th Apr 2004, 11:11
FTC notes good????? You got to be kidding me! They are abysmal. I used a combination of FTC, Aeronav and Avex notes.

The FTC notes are riddled with mistakes, and the content and language are terrible in sections although the quality does vary. The ATG notes are particularly bad - did you know that rubber is a resistor??

I would recommend using the Avex notes - they are definitely the best of the lot - and supplement with past papers from Aeronav. 80% of the ATP exams is just a rehash of the comm exams anyway so you might want to dig out those com notes.

Jelly Doughnut
4th Apr 2004, 17:47
I agree with Wheels Up, Avex notes are best for the bulk of what you need to know. FTC's notes assume that you do the groundschool with them (which you can't anymore) and the content reflects this. Their practice exam papers are very useful though. It also wouldn't hurt to read through "Handling the Big Jets", by Davies, to help you with Aircraft Technical & General.
Good luck :ok:

AfricanSkies
6th Apr 2004, 05:23
The person who put together the FTC notes knew a good deal of the CAA questions and exactly what they covered, in those days. Now it's different, the questions have changed quite a lot. As evidenced by there being questions in none of the notes.

Avex notes are thorough. FTC's are easier to digest but not as accurate and sometimes remarkably shallow. There's a good book called "The Pilots Pocket Book" which is an A-Z kind of thing which covers a hell of a lot of the questions, very well recommended.

B Sousa
6th Apr 2004, 13:42
Speaking of Notes for exams. Something that has worked in the past is for someone who takes these exams to remember one question as it is on the exam. Then post that question on a thread in the forum. Pretty soon all the current questions are out there.
Based on experience and knowing exams are not changed that often, it gives a base for someone to study. Its a start.

Deanw
7th Apr 2004, 14:40
Great idea.

Let me contribute the first question:

Name? ________________________________

:E :)