PDA

View Full Version : Films that scared you as a child

Sally Cinnamon
1st Apr 2004, 17:17
I can remember a watching film called 'The Watcher in the woods' when I was about 7 or 8 and being scared sh!tless. Grandma said it would be ok for us to watch as it was a Disney film, although it was certainly not a typical Disney production. I had bad nightmares for years afterwards. Very creepy film.

Any other prooners remember it ?

Which films scared you as a child ?

quagmire
1st Apr 2004, 17:29
think i was 11 or 12 when i first saw Poltergeist, that bloody tree outside the window used to scare me [email protected]
Still pretty scary to this day i think.

Boss Raptor
1st Apr 2004, 17:32
I have a genuine phobia for any films or images involving the 'electric chair' - As a kid aged say 7 I was quite intelligent (says I) and was allowed to watch and read with very few limits material way beyond my age...

I recall having seen a film or films with the electric hair and also seeing one soon at Madame Taussauds in London soon after as a kid...and at the that time the films were very 'what you dont see' one was definately a James Dean B & W and another involved the Lindbergh kidnapping...another was an article about an execution on the electric chair about a young black guy in Florida 'who had said 'stop it...I cant breathe' whilst being electricuted...see I can still see the picture of guy from the article in my mind today

I am fascinated by and notorious for having a certain hardness and insensitivity to death/murder/execution etc. I was particularly fascinated by Hanging, but then that is so British :) and used to go to the autopsy with a neighbour who was a pathologist as a teenager...just seeing a pic of the electric chair makes me shiver and the film 'The Green Mile' was way too far...although I have recently read the 'science' behind the electric chair...still freaks me :uhoh:

So look on the bright side if I ever become a serial killer I am unlikely to murder in certain states of the USA :E

topcat450
2nd Apr 2004, 15:56
The Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. :uhoh:

WeatherJinx
2nd Apr 2004, 16:24
The Haunting (1963 version) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6302872766/102-0854968-1116917?v=glance)

Ancient movie, black and white, but knocks spots off any over-f/x'd modern horror flick...spooky.

Jx

Davaar
2nd Apr 2004, 16:51
I can tell you one that scared me as an adult, 1957: "The Bad Seed". The book is even worse. In the book it is the malignant one who survives and her mother who dies.

Wino
2nd Apr 2004, 17:05
Everything you wanted to know about sex but was afriad to ask.

I was 3 and the scene of the giant tit. My parents went to see it in the drive in and took me. When they covered my eyes I knew something bad was happening and peeked around and saw it break through the wall. Scared the beejeezus out of me. If my parents HADNT been covering my eyes it probably would have had no effect.

Cheers
Wini

Islander Jock
2nd Apr 2004, 18:24
I saw Jason and the Argonauts in the mid 60s. Had nightmares about sword wielding skeletons springing up out of the floor of my bedroom.:ooh:

Davaar,

The Bad Seed was one of my favourties too. Manipulative little bitch she was

Anthony Carn
2nd Apr 2004, 18:39
The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Charles Laughton was bad enough before the hump and skew whiff eyes.

I was well out of nappies by then, which made viewing all the more hazardous. :uhoh:

Slow-Rider
2nd Apr 2004, 18:58
I found E.T. quite an intimidating figure as a young boy. Yet I watched Robocop a few years later and didn't bat an eyelid - strange

RowleyUK
2nd Apr 2004, 19:49
King Kong......That giant over grown turd climbing that building!!:{ :{

The Invisible Cat
2nd Apr 2004, 21:26
The Mouse That Roared :ooh: :ooh:

Ascend Charlie
2nd Apr 2004, 21:49
Does anyone else find themselves calling out "Turn on the light, and don't walk backwards!!" to the screen? Cannot understand why characters in scary films prefer to walk around in the dark house without turning on the light.

And if they finally do knock the villain down, why don't they finish the job by beating them to a fine paste, instead of dropping the weapon within reach of said villain, and acting concerned about the villain's wellbeing??:8

Dead_Heading
2nd Apr 2004, 21:53
Like the Eddie Izzard sketch:

"Look! theres something moving 10 miles away in the woods! I'm going to go investigate all by myself armed with nothing but a thimble."

Yep, I do that too.

firejockey
2nd Apr 2004, 22:02
Night of the Demon scared the s*** out of me as a kid.

That haunting whistling noise as the beast closed in on its' victim, and the fact it was made in B&W all added to the cr*p yer pants effect.

Watched it a couple of years ago, and the hairs still stood up on my neck.

Dead_Heading
2nd Apr 2004, 22:06
Jaws. Yes, I know its really bad special affects, but the film is so suspenseful. Still hasn't stopped it being my one of favourites.

TheStormyPetrel
3rd Apr 2004, 03:11
To Kill a Mockingbird.

A brilliant film though. Sure did give me some trembles me the first time I watched it though.

pigboat
3rd Apr 2004, 03:53
I'm with Weather Jinx. I watched the original b&w one on the late show, and turned on every light in the house when I went to bed. I was no kid either. ;)

TamedBill
3rd Apr 2004, 04:11
The Daleks from Doctor Who filled me with real fear as a kid.......I know they are still out there.......waiting.............

Man-on-the-fence
3rd Apr 2004, 07:27
Quatermass and the Pit. Also wasnt there a TV Quatermass series as well. Saw them both when I was about 10 and was scared witless.

High Wing Drifter
3rd Apr 2004, 14:33
The Daleks from Doctor Who filled me with real fear as a kid.......I know they are still out there.......waiting.............
The Daleks I could handle, but the Cybermen - Mummy!

Caslance
3rd Apr 2004, 14:46
"Night Of The Hunter" scared the bejasus out of me when I was a kid.

The fact that the milkman looked like Robert Mitchum reassured me not at all............. :ooh:

It's also the only film that Charles Laughton ever directed.

flowman
3rd Apr 2004, 15:30
Not a film but a childrens TV programme from the sixties called "The Singing Tree". It had a dwarf in it, a white horse and of course a tree. Scared the crap out of me at the time! No idea why, it was a bit creepy though.

AeroSpark
3rd Apr 2004, 17:02
Not a film I know but Jeff Waynes musical of War of the Worlds scared the life out of me as a child. Still can't listen to it with the light tuned off even now!:O

Coconuts
3rd Apr 2004, 17:36
'When a Stranger Calls' with Jack Nicholson I think, scared me, not as a child but as a teenager. 'Friday the 13th' & 'Halloween' put the frighteners up me too & any scary with Vincent Price is worth its weight in gold. :ok:

Oh & 'Baby Jane' was eerily scary, probably cause of my fear of being stuck with my sibling sister as an adult, some nightmares do become reality!. :uhoh:

Coco

greatorex
3rd Apr 2004, 17:52
'The Omen' scared the living [email protected] out of me and still does . . . .:{ :} :{ :}

buffy747
3rd Apr 2004, 18:30
'A nightmare on Elm Street'

Used to scare the living daylights out of me, no wonder I am like I am!!!!

:E :hmm:

Aileron Roll
4th Apr 2004, 15:34
The SHinning, with Jack Nicholson, still scares me.....

TheStormyPetrel
4th Apr 2004, 15:54
Coco - I so agree about 'Baby Jane' - that was creepy!

Outer Limits was pretty full on, too.

Davaar
4th Apr 2004, 16:23
My poor old Dad took my sisters and me to see "The Wizard of Oz", in 1940-something, and the junior set all loathed it so much we left half-way through, although a trip to "the pictures" was a great treat in those days. What an awful movie.

Ozzy
4th Apr 2004, 17:16
Not as a child, but the movie Carrie, the bit at the end when the, you know, happens. Nearly [email protected] meself. And don't get me started on the Exorcist, tame now, but in themdays there were ambulances at the ready outside the cinema.

Ozzy

Smeagol
4th Apr 2004, 20:09
Man-on-the-fence

The original Quatermass and the Pit on the Beeb, in B&W, in the middle 1950's was it!

Scared the hell out of me!

Smeagol

Man-on-the-fence
4th Apr 2004, 20:41
I'm fairly sure that it was in Colour although there were B&W bits

I can remember the space ship was blue, oh and it was a repeat in the early 80's

maxman
4th Apr 2004, 22:11
Trilogy of Terror. Saw it when i was a kid, the first two stories are pretty lame. But the third, where the Zuni doll is chasing the woman around the house with a knife, scared the sh1t out of me.
Saw it again recently, not half as bad as I remembered.

BUMPFF
4th Apr 2004, 22:23
'The Mummy'. 1936 version. Boris Karloff I think.

Not a film, but 'Dracula'* performed on stage at Sheffield's Lyceum theatre with Bela Lugosi in person as The Count himself. More frightening than any film version. Everyone who attended were surely looking under their seat on the tram home. And under the bed for many nights afterwards.

*Give yourself a treat, read Bram Stoker's original book. At night. With only a candle for company. Then visit Whitby and dare to go out after dark.

Synthetic
4th Apr 2004, 23:28
Er umm - The Wizard of Oz. Have watched it since and I can't work out for the life of me what it was, but when I saw it as a child, something scared me senseless.

hostie
4th Apr 2004, 23:49
I remember a film called 'Magic' I've never been able to cope with ventriloquist dummies since, in fact all 'dolls' freak me out.

There was also a so called childrens show I think it was called something like 'Children of the stone' and these kids were trapped in a house looking out of a top floor window to these creatures below that were after them, I can't remember it that well as I think I've blocked it out!

The Daleks also had me hidden behind my teddy in the chair!

So now I don't watch any 'scary' movies it's never the film that frightens me, it's how my imagination spins off on tangents.
(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

CarltonBrowne the FO
4th Apr 2004, 23:57
This may sound like an odd choice at first....
Diamonds Are Forever.
To explain, there is a scene where Bond is shut in a coffin, the lid is nailed on and the coffin is put into the oven at the crematorium... very nasty indeed, I don't like it any more now than I did when I first saw it at the age of 5.
Hmmm, didn't my parents take me to see some inappropriate films at a young age?

PilotsPal
5th Apr 2004, 00:30
hostie

I'm amazed someone else remembers Magic. It was utterly spinechilling. Anthony Hopkins and Ann-Magret and that horrible dummy called Corky.

Also Christine and Carrie.

But the worst for me has to be Cruella de Ville in 1001 Dalmations, the original version. Apparently I saw her and screamed to be taken home....

ehwatezedoing
5th Apr 2004, 01:20
The old black and white King Kong movie!

Pretty scarry for a young boy growing up in Central Africa.
I spend a couple of night waiting for this big gorilla to abduct me through my bedroom window... :ooh:

Sultan Ismail
5th Apr 2004, 01:50
Quatermass

Just to put thje record straight, the first Quatermass show was "The Quatermass Experiment" in 195*, it starts with the rocket returning from space and landing on Wimbledon Common.

The second one was "Quatermass and the Pit" when a "tube" is found in Hobbs Street, somewhere in South London.

I have a recollection of another series who's most striking element was the introductory music, The Mars Movement from Gustav Holst Planet Suite.

Another horror story from Saturday night BBC was "Little Red Monkey" , the theme was played on a synthesiser, considered rather advanced at the time.

50 years on that original Quatermass still gives me the creeps.

henry crun
5th Apr 2004, 02:03
"it starts with the rocket returning from space and landing on Wimbledon Common.''
"
Thanks for that information Sultan, all these years I have wondered how the Wombles found their way there, now I know. :)

seacue
5th Apr 2004, 02:32
"Wizard of Oz" but not sure that it frightened me all that much, but it was one on the first films I saw.

There is a place on the infamous Washington Beltway when one comes down a hill with a huge Mormon temple straight ahead. It is "1938 modern" architecture, and reminds many of the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz.

Remember the sky-writing Wicked Witch of the West? A railway bridge crosses the Beltway well down the hill - with exactly the right number of panels on the side for the vandals to write SURRENDER DOROTHY in big letters. The Mormons were not amused, and the letters were painted out but reappeared a number of times. It's been quite a few years since they last appeared.

SC

Maxflyer
5th Apr 2004, 10:05
When I was a child I saw an old b/w film and I think it starred someone like Rock Hudson who was given another pop at life in a different body. He did something wrong and the people who gave him his chance took it away from him. The last scene is shot as if looking through his eyes, you see a surgeon with a drill getting closer and closer and then.......

Really scared me.

DishMan
5th Apr 2004, 10:17
TamedBill spot on.

Couldn't watch any Dr Who with the Daleks (shiver) unless I was behind the sofa peeking around with one eye! Cybermen were creepy too!

Have never been a horror film lover.
When working shift we used to have whole load of TV monitors for various channels...if colleague watched horror film I could just about watch the reflection in a window! It must have been the separation between the audio + video that allowed me to keep control of myself.
Unlike when Mrs DM + I went to see 9 1/2 weeks when it first came out. (Me 26ish?)
Lovely cinema, Champs Elysees, Paris.....all quiet.... then.... WOOSH! up she comes out of the bath. DM levetated at least 0.5m off the seat, huge intake of breath (did I scream - dunno:\ ) but whole cinema looking at a VERY emarressed DM - Mrs DM in tears joins them all laughing at me :{ :oh: :\

Justforkix
5th Apr 2004, 10:58
Texas chainsaw massakre saw it as a kid and it ruined my sleep for a long time. I saw it again many years later and laughed at it! Go figure. :confused:

Taildragger55
5th Apr 2004, 11:06
An old b&w BBC one, M. R. James's
"Whistle and I'll come to you"

Change of underwerar needed.

Boromir
5th Apr 2004, 11:15
The original "The thing" I was about 6 or 7 at the time,
And "The Birds" too, seem very tame now... but at the time: :uhoh:

ratsarrse
5th Apr 2004, 11:39
Ozzy, I'm not so sure that the Exorcist is tame now - it's still a pretty scary film! The idea of possession and evil is still frightening. Sure, there may be more gory films, and there may be better special effects, but that doesn't necessarily make for a more scary experience.

There was one film that had a profound effect on me as a child. No idea what it was called. It was some B movie about an army of ants on the rampage, eating everything in their path. I saw this a few days before a holiday in the South of France where the ants are much bigger. I've had a mild phobia about the little critters ever since.

Gainesy
5th Apr 2004, 12:01
Cybermen? Scary?
You mean those extras with an empty catering-size bean can for a head, with washing-machine pipes stuck in it...and the silver spray-painted wellies??

paulc
5th Apr 2004, 12:02
A film about a 'yeti' type creature causing havoc in a ski resort somewhere in the usa. All you saw of the creature (until the end) was a white limb with a few claws as they ripped some poor skier to bits.

a is dum
5th Apr 2004, 12:38
Khon Phu Khao by Wichit Khunawut. :uhoh:

HomerJay
5th Apr 2004, 12:55
I still bag myself when i watch the excorcist, by far the worst movie i saw a kid, anyone with a hockey mask aswell after hollaween

left_hand_drive
5th Apr 2004, 15:14
Jaws... you know the bit where the head minus its body suddenly appears in the freshly bitten hole under the boat. Scared the bejesus outta me. :eek: :yuk:

moo
5th Apr 2004, 19:05
Steven King' s "IT" with that clown!! :uhoh: what is it with clowns??!!! Oh and 'Knightmare' that kids tv show where a dungeoneer has to be guided around the dungeons by his team mates and the dungeon master Treguard (oh and pickle in latter series') hehe!! all very scary, particularly when the goblin horn went off! :uhoh:

Slim20
5th Apr 2004, 19:32
paulc - was it called Snowbeast?

Jaws scared me senseless too (the bit with the head under the boat)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I couldn't sleep for days and [email protected] myself every time a car went by and the headlights shone in the room! And unfortunately my bedroom had a little grating for central heating that looked just like the one where the screws start turning loose....... eeeurgghhh!!

--o-o-0-o-o--
5th Apr 2004, 20:11
Got to be the 1930's version of FRANKENSTEIN's MONSTER. (Borris Karloff i think).........when the lightening struck,.... then his little finger would start twitching, and DR FRANKENSTEIN was oblivious to this...............i used to hide my head under the cushions in total terror !!!!!!!!!!......this was last week ;)

Synthetic
5th Apr 2004, 23:26
A program in the late 60s or early 70s which used to be on BBC1 at 21:00 on Mondays called 'Doomwatch'. The bit I remember was chickens wandering around with babies' heads.

Wasn't it great when tv could realy scare you?

MidnightSpecial
6th Apr 2004, 05:46
The Wild, Wild, West. No not the [email protected] movie from a couple years ago, I mean the teevee series from a couple decades ago.

There was this character called Dr. Mihiguelo Loveless, I think played by Billy Barty, and even though it was the 1860's he kept trying to blow up the West with nuclear weapons.

I was scared of midgets after that show. My excuse is that I was only 7 or 8 years old and Mr Barty could act well.

MS

paulc
6th Apr 2004, 06:52
Slim20,

yes, that name does sound right - kept me awake for ages afterwards

Maxflyer
6th Apr 2004, 12:21
There was another programme from the 70's that was called Changes. It was some sort of anti technology thing. Scary as I recall

Ausatco
6th Apr 2004, 13:39
"The Picture of Dorian Grey" in B&W, which I saw as a 10yo in about 1960.

I was on a weekend pass from boarding school and saw it with me dear old Gran who I used to stay with sometimes. It scared me shiteless but I manfully didn't let on, so she didn't think I was affected.

That night I was reading in bed and she creaked the door open at the head of my bed and reached her ancient, gnarled, claw-like hand over my face. (At least that's what I saw in my mind's eye. She would have been all of 60 at the time, hardly ancient and gnarled.

She spent the rest of the night trying to settle me down and I never forgot it.

Have seen it again and it's as tame as.:O

AA

EH8
6th Apr 2004, 17:44
"The Birds"...scarred the sh%t out me as a lad.......It was on the box a few weeks back and I still couldn't watch it...:\

747FOCAL
6th Apr 2004, 18:45
Silent Scream - that gave me nightmares as a young lad

Chaffers
6th Apr 2004, 19:32
Watched The Fog as a sprog and it scared the shit outa me, saw it again when I was a teenager and, erm, it still scared the shit outa me. Would be interesting to see it again....

According to me mate I jumped at least a foot and a half out of my seat and had a mild heart attack at the end of 8mm in the pictures. Very creepy film.

Saw one recently, Dog Soldiers was surprisingly good. Definately recommended.

Some time around 1980 I saw a horror film that simply terrified me. Can't remember the name but penny farthing bicycles seemed to be a recurring theme... We left the cinema early from that one... Think it had a creepy tree outside too and lots of shots of a nursery.... No idea what it was.

Mostly Harmless
6th Apr 2004, 19:46
The original Alien was pretty scary, but the movie that scared me for life…

Showgirls.

KTPops
6th Apr 2004, 21:04
....my god, what a scary film! I haven't thought about it since I was teeny!

Wasn't there some nasty business about children getting stuck inside mirrors? And weren't some children stuck underground shining a torch onto another child's corpse covered in cobwebs? :{

...gives me the willies just thinking about it!!

Paracab
7th Apr 2004, 00:09
Wasn't a kid, early teens (Well suppose I was a kid really)

By Dawns Early Light seriously messed with my head (still gives me the willies from time to time) but, before that, Freddie Kruger has a lot to answer for in the 'Paracab is awake all night' stakes.

[email protected]

CarltonBrowne the FO
7th Apr 2004, 11:29
The B-movie with the army ants? Sounds like The Naked Jungle , starring Charlton Heston. Don't know if I was ever that scared by it, but every time I see it my skin crawls for hours afterwards...

Ric Capucho
7th Apr 2004, 12:29
As a child, I'm unaware of a single moment where I could watch the Daleks, or the Cybermen, (especially the Cybermen, shiver-shiver), without a large cushion between me and the telly.

Bloody scary they were.

As I grew up into my mid teens, little stuck in my mind, until I watched the Salem's Lot 'TV movie', based on the Stephen King book. That bloody old vampire scared the bejesus out of me, but the young vampire kid hivering outside his former friend's bedroom window, pleading with him to open up, gave me nightmares for yonks.

Then, in my early twenties, I finally saw The Exorcist, which is easily the scariest film I've ever seen. The rest of the horror movies are an easy walk in the park compared to that.

Nowt much scares me since then.

Ric

djk
7th Apr 2004, 14:55
"The Two Faces of Evil" had me scared for a little while

Synthetic
7th Apr 2004, 22:17
Oh yes Maxflier

"Qui me tangit mundum turbat"

Guess who had a good education wasted on them:)

BobAgg
7th Apr 2004, 23:04
My mum told me I started crying at the Wicked Witch in Snow White when I was about 4!

I don't tend to tell too many people 'bout that 1!

Bob

bubba zanetti
7th Apr 2004, 23:05
The Wild, Wild, West. No not the [email protected] movie from a couple years ago, I mean the teevee series from a couple decades ago.

There was this character called Dr. Mihiguelo Loveless, I think played by Billy Barty, and even though it was the 1860's he kept trying to blow up the West with nuclear weapons.

Midnight Special that was Michael Dunn ...truly a supurb actor ... he was perhaps better known for his role in the film Ship of Fools.

Ozzy
8th Apr 2004, 00:21
Okay, other movies that have induced near bowel evacuation in Ozzy:

The Sentinel (directed by Michael Winner)
The Devil Rides Out (with an awfully young Patrick Mower)
Rosemary's baby (Polanski - sick [email protected] - classic)

Ozzy:E

MidnightSpecial
11th Apr 2004, 02:10
Thanks Bubba Z. for the correction.

MS

gatfield
11th Apr 2004, 12:23
Amytiville Horror was the movie that scared the beejees out of me.

Jodie the pig - well I ditched my imaginary friend after that!

The Greaser
11th Apr 2004, 18:32
Anyone else remember a BBC miniseries broadcast in the 80's called 'Maelstrom'. Bloody scary to a sub-10 year old i can assure you, all i can remember is some dolls with evil stares.

maxman
11th Apr 2004, 22:11
Hostie.
Thanks for the reminder of "children of the stone". I thought I was the only one who ever saw it. Kids upstairs in an old house, the stones getting closer and closer.
Wheres me nightlight..................................