PDA

View Full Version : Captain Chas Finn-Kelcey MBE

idgas
1st Apr 2004, 15:18
It is with huge sadness that I have to inform you that Captain Chas Finn-Kelcey (Britannia Airways aka whitehat) died at about 15:00 on April 1st 2004.

Chas was one if not the most generous person I have ever had the privilege of knowing. His enthusiasm for all things aviation, PPRune, life and people in general was second to none.

He was more than a colleague to me, he has been a personal friend for many years and I will miss him greatly.

My thoughts are with Di, family and all his friends.

Details of the funeral will be announced later.

Rest in Peace

PPRuNe Radar
1st Apr 2004, 15:25
Many will also remember, with great fondness, Chas at GatBashes ... under his PPRuNe title Dr Syn.

A true gentleman and one of those who lived life to the full.

Deepest sympathies to all his family and friends.

Flypuppy
1st Apr 2004, 16:10
Oh no. Not Dr Syn.

What can I say? A helluva nice guy and damned unfair that the good guys go first.

When I first met Chas, I had no idea of his accomplishments in life and took him for what he was, a damned fine human being. He always was a WYSIWYG sort of chap, someone who gained immediate respect, simply because of the way he approached people.

I only met him and his lovely wife Di a few times, but I feel priveledged to have done so.

He is someone who will be sorely missed.

Condolences and deepest sympathy to family and friends.

1st Apr 2004, 16:13
I don't know him personally. I do recall him (with fondness) from PPRuNe and I'm sincerely saddened!

Danny
1st Apr 2004, 16:24
I'd like to pass my deepest condolences to Di and the rest of the family.

Chas was one of the longest serving PPRuNe members. I remember him first getting in touch with me over something controversial and from that time on I got to know him. He became a moderator when we set up the Britannia Airways Pilots Forum and was always ready with help and advice if it was needed.

Many of you will remember Chas from PPRuNe bashes and I don't think he missed any of them. His help to Don with the PPRuNe Fund was most appreciated.

My heart goes out to Di and she can be comforted by the fact that Chas will be missed by everyone who ever had the good fortune to meet him.

NineEighteen
1st Apr 2004, 16:25
I only knew him from his contributing to the excellent STS Columbia (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80261&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) thread. He posted some incredibly detailed analysis. Obviously a clever chap.

My condolences to all who knew him personally. :(

brockenspectre
1st Apr 2004, 16:39
It was Chas who introduced me to proon and it was Chas (and Di, of course) who helped me any many others stay awake past dawn at various Aviator Balls in Maidstone courtesy of his Country & Western guitar and magic fingers. Only last December I was insisting that Di find a "brother of Chas" for me as he was one of the most fun, decent, entertaining, smart and loveable guys anyone could have the privilege to call a friend and... I wanted one of my own! Di told me that the mould was broken after it made Chas and... dammit... she was right.

It was as Dr Syn that Chas chose to ignore the increase in my girth and the various pics he posted of me at Gatbashes were always flattering - I never quite did get to know how he managed that when others couldn't.

Suffice to say, my last memory of Chas is in the wee hours of December 14, 2003, him strumming guitar in the lounge-bar of the Tudor Park Hotel, Maidstone, and the crowd of at least 50 still there at that time singing along...

RIP Chas... you have now slipped the surly bonds and are probably soaring on high on laughter silvered wings, if I know you!

:ok:

flapsforty
1st Apr 2004, 17:13
Hard to understand that Chas is gone.
Such a lovely man.

Di, thinking of you and how sad you are feeling now. My deepest condolences.

Jude

CrashDive
1st Apr 2004, 17:25
You can find some pics of the great man on the pages here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40609&perpage=15&highlight=DrSyn&pagenumber=4) and here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40609&perpage=15&highlight=DrSyn&pagenumber=5).

He was a thoroughly top bloke and this is a very sad loss :{ , but we celebrate his life :ok: as I’m sure will all who knew him.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
1st Apr 2004, 17:45
Chas was one of those genuinely nice people who make life so much fun... he'll be much missed and I for one will be raising a glass or three to him at the next bash!

My thoughts are with Di... also one of life's genuinely nice people!

...Mik

http://www.vampireparrot.com/albums/album01/chas.sized.jpg

flyblue
1st Apr 2004, 18:05
What a sad day...:( He will be deeply missed.
Condolences to his family and friends.

brockenspectre
1st Apr 2004, 18:11
I am still trying to come to terms with this - as an ancillary comment to my previous post... how did Chas die? was he ill? what happened?

I am in shock - he was slim and fit and so unlike me (we used to laugh at how I dice with death being so big these days)... can't think of anyone else who shared my passion for NASA and space exploration... damn... can someone shed light on what happened? I was not a close friend, as in not someone who saw Chas and Di every day but... at least twice a year we "caught up" and it was as if we were just continuing on yanno? .... ::lighting a candle::

David Berry
1st Apr 2004, 18:26
There are many who will remember Chas from his RAF years. Humbly, on their behalf, I add my condolences.

David Berry - ex-RAF Lyneham

PPRuNeUser0215
1st Apr 2004, 19:19
Many thanks to Chas and Di for the great bashes we had... I met Chas before I joined Britannia and we always talked about flying together some time so it is with great sadness but also with great pleasure that I remember our night flight to Corfu.

6 hours deep into the night we spent talking, laughing, looking at the stars and Mars, making plans to meet over the summer.

Good bye Chas, my thoughts going to Di and family.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Apr 2004, 19:33
When Chas came out of the RAF I gave him his first civilian job. He was an oustanding pilot and a great organiser. When I acquired a Twin Otter Chas volunteered to get it on the AOC and wrote the manual for it. 6 Weeks later the CAA were happy with his effort and the rest is history. His capacity for knowledge knew no bounds. He was an expert on many things, space, steam locomotion, flying, a superb artist and a very good muscian.

We grew to be great mates and so it went on. Families together.
Good times, fun times - always fun times and I admired him in every aspect of his life. He was a very generous man - to a fault usually - and Di simply was to him everything. I have been close to him, with Di and the family, over the past few horrendous days but I do have some little moments we shared that I shall treasure for evermore.

I wonder what I am going to do without Chas, how my life without his humour and friendship and counsel will suffer, but I know he would not like to think that I had such thoughts, so I will cherish his love and memories - but I will never get over losing my best friend.

RIP Chas x

Wino
1st Apr 2004, 19:55
Im better for having met him at the bashes.

So long Dr. Syn, You will be missed.

Wino

Davaar
1st Apr 2004, 19:57
I met him only through these pages, but he was one of those I hoped I'd meet in person. Now alas that will not happen. My deep condolences to those left to mourn.

reynoldsno1
1st Apr 2004, 20:24
I knew Chas in Oman. Great guy, and I was talking about him only a week ago...
Condolences to his family and friends

LOMCEVAK
1st Apr 2004, 20:26
We met Chas at the last two GatBashes. What an interesting gentleman, and what a couple he and Di were. We are all worse off after losing him. Deepest condolences to Di and the family. Please keep us posted with funeral arrangements.

With regrets

L and Mrs L

AerBabe
1st Apr 2004, 20:42
I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Chas at the GatBashes and always found him extremely generous. He and Di made everyone feel at home. What a terribly sad day - my love & best wishes are with the family.
A

Tinstaafl
1st Apr 2004, 22:27
I'm shocked & really saddened by this loss. My profound sympathy for Di.

I often think of the wonderfully fun dinner that he, Di, PPRuNe Pop, Jan, Pax D & I enjoyed.

I'm really sad & upset now.

DanAir1-11
2nd Apr 2004, 00:00
I unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting this great man, but his reputation preceded him and I have only ever heard colleagues and freinds speak so very highly of him. The overwhelming sentiment I always perceived in others is that he was indeed one of natures gentlemen. Condolences to family and freinds. A nice touch by Proon to close the jetblast forum for 24 as a mark of respect.

pax domina
2nd Apr 2004, 02:30
I first met Chas and Di at the 9 June 2001 bash - I remember that 10 June is Di's birthday, because at midnight he had us all sing "Happy Birthday" to her. That night, and later in PPRuNe chat, I remember chatting about the times he and Di had spent on holiday on Florida's Space Coast.

I really remember the wonderful dinner Tinny mentioned - Chas and Di, PPRuNe Pop and Mrs. PPRuNe Pop (Jan), and Tinny and myself celebrating Jan's birthday at Smith & Western on Box Hill. Another example of his wonderful generosity. I remember him talking about another of his interests - how he loved steam trains and supported their restoration.

Can't say it better than Danny did - Chas will be missed by everyone who ever had the good fortune to meet him.

Di and family - my thoughts are with you.

Jayne

Snigs
2nd Apr 2004, 08:28
A sad day indeed.

My thoughts are with Di and the family.

mcdhu
2nd Apr 2004, 08:40
I too am shocked. What a wonderfully talented man and aviator. I had not seen him since Lyneham days in the late 70s when he had the whole Station in fits when the monthly mag came out with Chas's 'Rompers Green' comic strip therein.

Furthermore, his attitude to his training role on the C130 was exemplary; with him, training could be enjoyed.

Goodbye, Chas.

Ian Dow

flower
2nd Apr 2004, 08:45
A charming gentleman,

May he rest in peace and his family find comfort with him being mourned by so many.

Flowerx

HugMonster
2nd Apr 2004, 09:02
There's nobody to fill his boots - he has left a huge impression on people's lives throughout aviation and in many other fields. He was a good friend to many, and will be sorely missed.

So long, Chas, sleep well. RIP.

Big Tudor
2nd Apr 2004, 09:46
Absolutely stunned. I remember him from my days at BY, what a throroughly nice chap he was. I don't ever recall a time when he wasn't politeness personified, which isn't easy at 03:00 on a Sunday morning!
Farewell Cpt Finn-Kelcey. May your family and friends find comfort in their memories of you.

Sagey
2nd Apr 2004, 11:45
What terribly sad news - he was one of lifes true gentlemen.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Rest In Peace, you will be deeply missed

Sagey

idgas
2nd Apr 2004, 13:04
brockenspectre FYI

Chas suffered a severe heart attack on in the early hours of Monday morning followed closely by 2 more. Further complications included a collasped lung and internal bleeding. He passed away at St Thomas’s Hospital, London.

I will post the funeral arragements as soon as known.

airship
2nd Apr 2004, 13:47
Whoooosssshhh. That's what it feels like when I've taken a deep breath because my emotions have reached the limit and finally exhale. After I've been thinking about those who have just left us. Empathy may be our greatest achievement, or handicap, with regard to all the other life we share the Earth with. A few words:

Responsibilities, dreams and regrets
Life was full of these and more
The better place to which I go
To find release for evermore

If freedom is truly around the corner
I shall not know all I've left
For behind there would be a blank
A nothingness, perhaps evidence of theft

For what would be my new being
If I was aware of all the suffrance
That past love and affection still had relevance
What would one call such an existence?

If I am still near and fully aware
Then my sadness has no boundaries
For at least in life, I was there
And could help in life's quandaries

But if perchance I am reborn
A butterfly just out of my cocoon
And you stumble across my labours
Linger and witness something marvellous...don't leave too soon!

john morrin
2nd Apr 2004, 14:29
I found out that Chas was ill yesterday and sent him a get well card - unfortunately he had probably passed away before he received it - buggar! I'm sure he wouldn't have minded and probably would have been amused at the irony.

I never got the chance to meet Chas - I was really looking forward to the opportunity, at the 30 Sqn reunion, and now alas, I will never get the chance.

He gave me much assistance in my application to join Britannia Airways, an application I've suspended for a little while, as I have decided to stay in the RAF a little longer. He was always willing to lend an ear and gave good and valid advice when required - it never seemed too much trouble for him to talk and write to me and others.

He will be sadly missed; he is still remembered on the Hercules, particularly but not exclusively for his cartoon 'Rompers Green', which he wrote for the Lyneham magazine. I was reading his cartoons the other day and it's amazing how accurate and true they still are (many a true word spoken in jest!).

My sincere condolences to Di, his family and all the friends and colleagues from Britannia, PPrune and the Airline industry, that had the privilege to know and work with him.

John Morrin

StopStart
2nd Apr 2004, 14:36
:( Terrible news... :(

I knew Chas rather well through both the 30 Sqn Association and, of course, the Pprune Bashes. Just a really, really nice guy - full of banter and tales to tell.

A real loss - thoughts with Di and family

:(

Courtman
2nd Apr 2004, 17:04
Chas was one of the most friendly and understanding guys I have ever met, he always had a friendly word for us all in Ops and understood the problems going through the department.

He also helped me no end as I went through medical problems, ironically with a cardiac problem. He would always ask how I was getting on and had suggestions on what tack to try. My problems are resolved now, and Chas was one of the first to congratulate me.

His help and words of support will always been remembered, a very sad day.

pilotwolf
2nd Apr 2004, 17:13
Please add my condolonces to the list...

Sorry to admit I didn't know who Chas was until someone posted his PPRUNE name.. :(

PW

FastJet Wannabe
2nd Apr 2004, 17:27
I am stunned.

Chas was one of the nicest and most genuine people around.

It was Chas who helped greatly to nurture my passion for aviation, he aranged my first ever ride on the jump seat of an airliner, a 767 when I flew on Britannia as a passenger.

He always kept in touch, we spoke on the phone, and always had fun at the gatbashes.

He always took a genuine interest in my flying, studying, and life in general.

Chas was one of the most knowledgable people I have ever met, not just about aviation, but about life in general.

Now I too work for Britannia, and was supposed to fly as part of Chas's crew last week. When he didn't arrive at work they told me he'd gone sick...

Di, all my love and wishes are with you...

Tom P

TightSlot
2nd Apr 2004, 19:27
Chas looked after his Cabin Crew: For many years he treated us with courtesy and respect, made us laugh and got us home safely to our families no matter what - I'm not sure you can ask for any more of a pilot.

Therefore, on behalf of all Britannia Cabin Crew, may I offer our thanks and condolences to his family. Flying just got a bit less fun.

redsnail
2nd Apr 2004, 19:38
I just found out. Di and your family, my sincerest condolences.
I am just stunned and truly saddened your loss. We lost a friend, you lost your soulmate.
My thoughts are with you.

eltel
2nd Apr 2004, 20:04
Chaz was one of my students on the Varsities at RAF Oakington back in '72. He was always enthusiastic, cheerful and absorbed everything like a sponge, a delight to fly with. He went on to amuse all of Lyneham with his irreverent 'Rompers Green' cartoons in the Globe. My condolences to Di and family.

vnavspeed
3rd Apr 2004, 01:26
From all the Aussie blokes who had the pleasure of spending time with Chas in the flight deck and bar at Britannia we say goodbye.

Chas accepted each of us "antipodeans" as he would say. He loved his trips to Oz both before and with Britannia. He did'nt mind the odd drop of Aussie wine either.

Geez he loved to chat, but 99% of the time he exuded an incredible wealth of knowledge and zest for life. Who will forget his stories.

The 767 flight deck will miss Chas, and his laptop of course.

Condolences to Di and family.

Chas, the true English Gentleman.

The boys Down Under SALUTE you.

navyator
3rd Apr 2004, 07:10
Chas was the true gentleman.great fun and a good guy to be with.I never flew the Herc,but having done a few transatlantics with him,I can now!!

His zest for avation and life will be sadly missed,

RIP Chas We will all miss you,

Condolences to Di and the family

G SXTY
3rd Apr 2004, 09:19
Absolutely stunned.

We were lucky enough to meet Chas at the GatBashes, and he was as generous, charming, and likeable as anyone you will ever meet. One of life’s genuinely nice guys.

Don- would be very grateful if you could pass on our deepest sympathies to Di and the family.

Dave & Julie

hotnhigh
3rd Apr 2004, 09:45
Through this weird and wonderful aviation game you meet some delightful people.
Some are remembered for ever.

Chas certainly fits that mould.

As one of the fortunate ones to have shared the BY767 flight deck and also one of "The antipodeans", I raise "The tinnie", as he refered to, and have one for you Chas.

Cheers mate.

Condolences to Di and the family

Rest in Peace Chas.

Mac the Knife
3rd Apr 2004, 10:59
That is really sad. I only knew him as Dr Syn but we had some lively debates about the Space Shuttle program and accidents. A really nice, smart and perceptive chap.

Condolences to the family and friends.

"Tot siens ou maat"

beamer
3rd Apr 2004, 19:29
Very sad - Chas ran my first PRT at Lyneham - good man. Last saw him at Ncl in the Marriott a couple of years where we enjoyed a long chat over a glass or tow.

I've just extracted my two volumes of the story of 'Rompers Green' - they still bring back memories and make me smile albeit with a touch of sadness now.

God bless Chas

Bally Heck
5th Apr 2004, 00:02
What can I say. Flew with Chas. Cannot possibly be gone? Bu**er!!

small4
5th Apr 2004, 00:22
Just got home to find this tragic news. I'm completely stunned. I haven't seen Chas for years, however I flew with him a considerable number of times on the Herc.

It was never a dull moment with him and I still remember with fondness a particular trip requiring two tech diversions on consecutive days. Only Chas could make the New Year snowed in at Gander into a memorable event!

RIP Chas, the world is a sadder place for your premature departure.

ramsrc
5th Apr 2004, 05:56
I never met Captain Finn-Kelcey but having spent my childhood in Rye his nom de plume (DrSyn - The man of the marsh) always reminded me of home. I will miss seeing it around here.

hobie
5th Apr 2004, 08:22
.... "one of his many interests was Railway locomotives" ......

perhaps one of his last posts was .....(see entry 1631) ....

http://www.signalbox.org/register.php

polite and generous as ever ......

from all I've read about Chas, a very special guy!

AussieinUK
6th Apr 2004, 20:22
Having grown up from the age of 5 knowing Chas (he lived with us for a while) he was nearly a brother to me. What has been written about him is truly a reflection of what a great person he was.
My family, mother and sisters are shocked and stunned.

No doubt there will be many of you I have met over the years, especially at Lyneham Summer Balls and one or two other events. I hope I shall get to meet some of you on April 19th. Clearly he has made many friends and I know he valued everything that you all offered him.

Di will in course get to read your comments and will I'm sure be intensely grateful for the support from everyone.

My best friend may have 'flown off' but myself and my family (Chas' god-daughter included) will have the greatest of memories of a very wonderful man.

Goodbye Chas

Nigel Baxter

Symbian
8th Apr 2004, 09:39
I don’t visit very often and on this occasion what a shock it was to read of Chaz’s death. I haven’t seen him for years and I first met him at the Cinque Ports Flying Club Lydd airport 1981.

All the tributes I have read on this thread describe the Chaz I remember to a T.

RIP Chaz.

Joles
8th Apr 2004, 19:13
Dear All,

Never met him, never heard of him, but reading all these mails, feel happy he had nice friends .
Must have been a rare spirit that alighted here, to lend us moments of joy.
May the Almight grant his Soul eternal Peace and strength to his family at this hour

Dengue_Dude
11th Apr 2004, 06:43
I first met Fink on 30 Sqn at Lyneham, he was a new Herk captain and was one of the nicest people to fly with that I've ever met.

An odd character who use to carry around the SAS timetable I remember!

His cartoon in the Lyneham Globe is well-remembered in my family and the term UK Bags was added to the English language in Wiltshire along with a few others. He managed to say SO much when most of us could only think, he SAID it with PICTURES!

I think he was one of the few people in life that you can say you 'enjoyed'.

Thanks for being there Chaz, I for one am glad I knew you.

RIP

My sincere condolences to his family who must miss him more than any of us.

Stitchbitch
14th Apr 2004, 17:52
I was about to post this terrible news,but I see most of the aviation world has beaten me to it. Chas you were a true gent, thanks for all the times you answered my stupid questions on the flight deck on the way to thumrait, thanks for rescuing me from school at the weekends, and so sorry we lost conact. My sincere condolences to Di and family

Ben & Jo Kendrick, Chris & Pat Kendrick and family.

laughter silvered wings.....

johnvbell
14th Apr 2004, 20:39
Bye Chas. We will always remember the way you lightened our lives with Captain Cool and the gang. They are around Rompers Green somewhere. Probably en route from Akronelli.
Thanks for everything.
Our condolence Di to you and all the family.

John and Jan Bell

AussieinUK
19th Apr 2004, 20:39
The most fitting tribute today for Chas.
The organisation was magnificent, the flypast a finale that Chas would have enjoyed. In fact did we not see him go then?

His family and friends know that he was a remarkable man.

We will continue his memory in many, many ways. We had a good party for him afterwards and if you couldn't be there please raise a glass or seventeen to him soon.

Cheers, Chas.

19th Apr 2004, 22:49
Chas, untimely death has prompted my first pprune posting.
Thank you for providing what is effectively an e-condolences book.
I hope it is a small comfort to all of Chas' family. I admire your request for plenty of colour today. I have already expressed a wish, when my turn comes, for no black ties.
The much anticipated monthly publication of the Lyneham station magazine, the Globe, was read, as Flight, from the back because Chas comic but often hard hittng strip "Rompers Green" the every day story of a West Country Transport Station", was invariably just inside the back cover.Much pleasure came from the detail eg among the AOC's (Air Officer Commanding) bookcase titles "Morale and how to spot it" next to "Morale and how to stop it". Thank you Chas for highlighting all the cock-ups & the way we felt but with a talent we lacked.
In 1980, I was co for Chris Mann's 1st LHS conversion with Chas as TRE during my annual sim/fly refresher.Chas' enthusiasm for aviation ingeneral and flying the Herc in particular made for a hardworking productive but enjoyable 2 weeks.
I last saw Chas in 2000 when at EOG I flew him to GLA one evening. My welcome PA led to Chas joining us on the flight deck, those were the days. A short flight but loads of catching up! He had been called out to position to GLA and operate a night TFS before positioning back to LGW in the morning. Not a prospect to fill anyone with joy! I can still see Chas striding out air-side along the side of the pier as he went in search of his aircraft.
Sorry I couldn't be with you today.
Chas, thank you, it was a privilege to know and work with you.
I treasure my copies of Rompers Green, you will see me smiling every time I read them.

Howard & Chris

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2004, 07:32

Thank you for your poignant post.

You will be pleased to know I am sure that the day went well. He had a marvellous send off. I didn't do a count but most of the 400 seats in the Church at Cranbrook were taken. In attendance were very many from Lyneham, including AVM John Bell, Tony Main with officers, past and present, from 30 Sqdn. The Squadron Standard was placed in the church by the Station Warrant Officer. A large picture of Chas, in the LHS of a Herc, was erected in the church. Uniforms were worn as per Di's request that there be colour for the occasion.

A very large contingent of Captains, FO's and stewardess were also there from Britannia, all in uniform. Made us wonder who was doing the flying at LGW! A great number of friends from various lodges that Chas belonged to, including aviation lodges, were also there. Relatives, close friends and local friends were very many, indeed it was touching that a big group of people from his home village were also there. Many tributes were paid to Chas and the warmth of the occasion was there to feel.

A 30 Sqdn Herc did a fly-past which very much added to the occasion. Chas will have enjoyed that moment It was much appreciated by everyone.

Relatives and close friends then went to the crematorium for the final departure of a truly great gentleman, a great family man, and a wonderful friend.

Then we amassed at the Tuor Park Hotel at Bearsted, to what Di called a 'bun-fight' - it was a very jolly affair which Chas would have liked and he got the send-off he deserved.

Chas was a rare man, a gentleman, and a friend to everyone. He will be missed more than any words can say.

Perhaps people reading this might like to see a poem I found on the internet called "FLYING WEST" - it is attributed to a Captain of Trans World Airways.

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky
Where pilots can go when they have to die.
A place where a guy could buy a cold beer
For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,
Nor a management-type would ever be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke.
The kind of a place that a lady could go
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There must be a place where old pilots go,
When their wings become heavy, when their airspeed gets low,
Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all the fellows who'd 'flown west' before,
And they'd call out your name, as you came through the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And there, through the mist, you'd spot an old guy
You had not seen in years, though he'd taught you to fly.
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear
And say, "Welcome, my Son, I'm proud that you're here!
For this is the place where true flyers come
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won.
They've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
From the government official, and the management clone;
Politicians and accountants, and all of the noise,
Where all hours are happy, and these good ol' boys
Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest!
This is Heaven, my Son. You've passed your last test!"

hobie
20th Apr 2004, 14:55
........ " A 30 Sqdn Herc did a fly-past "

what a brilliant gesture from the RAF .......

UncleFester
20th Apr 2004, 21:10
I would like to add my condolences to Di and the family. I was a "young" co-pilot on 30 Sqn with Chas and flew several times with him as Captain and mentor. Particularly fond memories of masirah det with him and Graham Timms (he of trombone and "TIMMS TOURS " fame). Chas was one of my inspirations and I aspired to his flying ability, becoming unit test pilot before I was medically retired from the RAF with cancer. It was a great delight to meet him again at the last 30 Sqn reunion and a terrible shock to hear the news after our re-aquaintance. Chas has been eulogised much more than I could ever hope to repeat, but

" Why do the good die young?"

"Uncle Fester" aka Ray Evans

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
20th Apr 2004, 23:21
Have been following this thread for a while now and I would just like to say that I hope the "Rompers Green" cartoons can be preserved for posterity.

I realise that now may not be the best time to raise the subject, but it sounds like something that would be a shame to lose.

My condolences to all.

Dengue_Dude
22nd Apr 2004, 16:42
Yes it was a good gesture, Chaz would have been proud:

a) They found the church
b) They didn't drop anything in the Kiel Canal.

Bye old chap, whilst often a cliche, you will be missed by those who knew you.

scroggs
24th Apr 2004, 05:19
Chas's last party was a great occasion, and filled by a fabulously diverse bunch of people that truly encapsulated Chas's phenomenally wide range of interests, experience and expertise. I managed to catch up with a few old friends, and made many new ones - all with the common theme of happy memories of Chas's effect on our individual lives.

To Nigel, Stratton and Don, thanks so much for making the day go well and directing our thoughts and memories so accurately. To 30 Sqn (and particularly Inga and Obie), the flypast was a marvellous gesture that Chas fully deserved; thankyou. To Di: you were and are an inspiration! What a shame that the reason for such an excellent day was the death of one of aviation's true characters, but it was a day I'm proud to have shared with all of you others blessed by Chas's life.

Scroggs (Tim Collins in real life!)