PDA

View Full Version : Password access to online banking troubles

PretoriaSillyperson
1st Apr 2004, 14:51
Another interesting problem for you and another massive headache for me!

I've just signed up for online banking on my XP Pro PC and the password site won't allow access. After this I tried a couple of other https sites and the're the same. So, I've turned off my old (woefully out of date) Norton and set all security access to Low where possible and made sure I can accept all cookies. Other than a sign on the front of the house saying "Please hack my PC" I can't think of any other way to allow me into the sites! Any ideas, I'm feeling a bit naked!

Thanks,

PSP

BOAC
1st Apr 2004, 15:10
PSP - the only time I've had trouble is with a bank which needs 'pop-ups' to activate its log-on. Are you inhibiting those?

Have you tried the bank IT helpline?

Tone
1st Apr 2004, 17:51
I too had a problem with the combination of Norton and First Direct, turn off Internet Security & it logs on every time. It may be that the security on the bank site is looking for stuff that Norton will not let it see. What a world.:D

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2004, 18:22
PSP,

My Internet bank has posted this:

"After investigation, Microsoft have released details advising that Internet Explorer users may experience difficulties with some secure internet sites following the installation of their recent security patch (Q832894, released 2 February 2004).

You can find out if you have the affected Microsoft updates by launching Internet Explorer, and clicking on:

- 'Help'
- 'About Internet Explorer'

Now check the version number to see if you are running Internet Explorer 6. Any updates are listed under 'Update Versions'. You may be affected if these include 'Q832894' or 'Q824145'.

Microsoft has released a further security patch to resolve these issues. Our investigations indicate that downloading this update should prevent you experiencing this alert. We therefore, suggest updating to the latest Microsoft patch, which can be downloaded from the following website address:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831167

Once on the website scroll down to the section entitled 'Resolution'. Choose the '32-bit' option and then select the download button on the next screen. Save this file to your desktop. Once the patch has downloaded, terminate your internet connection and close any running programs. Locate and select the downloaded file to start the installation. You will need to restart your computer to complete this process.

Should you experience any technical difficulties downloading and/or installing this update, we recommend that you contact Microsoft directly for further assistance."

Dunno if it's relevant, but might be worth a look.

SD

a is dum
2nd Apr 2004, 07:46
Saab Dastard,

I think you might just have just resolved a big problem for me.

Not the banking crowd but an other one, coming under the description of ""experience difficulties with some secure internet sites""

Ace :ok: Thanks a lot. :p

PretoriaSillyperson
2nd Apr 2004, 08:15
Brilliant - thanks guys - problem solved. Blerrie Microsoft! I was certain it was the pop-ups too until I tried the solution above.

Great job.

Now I've only one more problem to solve!

PSP

Saab Dastard
2nd Apr 2004, 15:26
Gee shucks, just passing on the information :O

Glad it helped :ok:

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Apr 2004, 23:43
PretoriaSillyperson,

Which problem is left? Lets get on it! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard