PDA

View Full Version : Top flying schools

too_sleepy
1st Apr 2004, 12:02
Hi

Anyone know what the top 20 flight schools are in the UK? Or where I could get the number of pilots who qualified from UK schools?

Thanks

no sponsor
1st Apr 2004, 13:03
If you asked 10 people you would get 10 different answers, although I would be impressed with someone who can name 20 schools for commercial flying training in the UK.

You will be faced with a question:

Integrated: do all the training at the one school on a zero to ATPL licence

Modular: Pick and choose elements of the required course at separate un-connected schools.

Hence, for Integrated there are only 2 in the UK: CCAT and Oxford.

For modular there are quite a few. Some just do the ground school, others do just the flying bit, and others do both the groundschool and the flying bit, but are still modular. Both the above integrated schools also do modular courses.

I'm doing the modular method, and I selected Bristol Ground School for my ground studies. I could have chosen a host of others, but I mainly went from recommendations from people I know and from this site. I'm quite happy with my choice. I have not yet selected any for the flying, but my shortlist is PAT, Bristol, Atlantic, Aeros and Westflight.

Do a seach on this site and it should become clear which schools are recommended. However, I would urge you to visit a school in person. I even went to visit BGS!

You could also look at schools outside the UK. There are a few in Europe, and quite a few in the US.

As for your private pilots licence, you can do that just about anywhere, and most would select their local flying club.

BillieBob
1st Apr 2004, 13:42
No-sponsor – Prepare to be impressed! All of the following are approved by the UK CAA for the modular CPL(A) course

Aeros Flying Club , Airways Flight Training (Exeter) Limited , Andrewsfield Aviation , Atlantic Flight Training (Coventry & Sanford) , Babcock, HCS Babcock Support Services Limited , Flight Training Europe , BCT Aviation Kemble , Bonus Aviation Limited , Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training Centre , Bristol Flying Centre , C & S Aviation Limited , Cabair College of Air Training , Carill Aviation , Comed Flight Training Limited , Coulson Flying Services , European Flight Training Llc , Cabair t /a European Pilot Training Academy , The Flight Centre , Flightpass Limited , Flight Training College (UK) , Global Flight Training (Pty) Ltd , Humber Flying Club , International Flight Training Academy , JD Aviation , Leeds Flying School Limited , Mann Aircrew Development , McAlpine Aviation Training Ltd (Bournemouth) , Multiflight Limited , Naples Air Center , Old Sarum Flying Club , Cabair t / a Orlando Flight Training , Oxford Aviation Training (at Oxford) , The Pilot Training College (Bournemouth and Moncton) , Plymouth School of Flying , Professional Air Training , Ravenair , Redhill Aviation , Rutland Aviation , Redhill Aviation t/a Sky Leisure Aviation , Southend Flying Club , Stapleford Flight Centre , St George Flight Training , Tayflite Limited (at Perth) , Taylor Aviation , Triple A Flying Limited , Walkbury Flying Club , Westflight Aviation Limited , Wycombe Air Centre.

49 in all.

no sponsor
1st Apr 2004, 13:58
I am impressed!!

:)

FlyingForFun
1st Apr 2004, 14:00
BillieBob,

I'm pretty sure I could have copied that list out of the CAA's list of approved schools if I could really be bothered, too :D :ok: :E

FFF
--------------

scubawasp
2nd Apr 2004, 11:34
Did my CPL and FI(R) with C and S aviation. Would not be able to say enough GOOD things to say about him. Passed both first time and in min hours. My advice, give chris a call and talk to him.

152wiseguy
2nd Apr 2004, 12:18
Ditto the above post. The training was professional and completed in a quick time frame despite some poor weather getting in the way. Top stuff. Got me ready in time for working as an FI last spring. When were you there scuba?

scubawasp
3rd Apr 2004, 09:26
Did my CPL in feb 2003 and then straight onto the FI course, completed at the beginning of may 2003!

152wiseguy
3rd Apr 2004, 15:17
Scuba check your PMs