PDA

View Full Version : Online Resources For Telexes, ASB's, SB's, etc?

mikeferg
30th Mar 2004, 18:47
Does anyone have any good online resources for checking the applicability of current Alert Telexes, Service Bulletins, AD's, etc. ?

We're constantly faced with having to sign off separate inspections (like on the AS350's!), but how do we know the one we're signing off hasn't been superceded? How do we know the logbook we're carrying has all the latest SB's and AD's?

I think we need a library of online links that we, as pilots, can use to double check what maintenance is having us sign off. As I'm sure you've all found out, your mechanic isn't always the most reliable resource, and most times, it's because the logbooks and inspection requirements originate in the DOM's office. Once you're out in the field, you have to rely on your updates and their accuracy coming from the home office.

I'm constantly finding out that one signoff sheet or another is an old version or was superceded a few months ago. Sometimes it's by chance, like talking with another pilot and I find out there's a new one out, sometimes it's because of a newly assigned mechanic who happens to have a friend at one of the manufacturers.

EurocopterUSA, for example, will list all the Service Bulletins by Document Year, but they don't show what the inspection is. To find out, you have to download them and read them. That could take days.

I'm looking for some comprehensive online resources so we can look up a list of maintenance requirements like SB's, AD's, and Alert Telexes on specific aircraft models.

Do we have any IA's out there who would like to share their bookmarks with us?
:cool:

Jango
3rd Apr 2004, 11:54
Not sure where you would go for manufacturer SB etc for the types you mention. I suspect you would have to subscribe thru a company web site (if they have one?)

Mandatory requirements best taken directly from the FAA web site, easy Yahoo search for FAA.

Good luck

spannersatcx
3rd Apr 2004, 18:39
Why ask us, you obviously don't trust us -

As I'm sure you've all found out, your mechanic isn't always the most reliable resource, :mad:

ukeng
3rd Apr 2004, 21:52
Don't think any offence was meant by that comment, I quite agree we're not the most reliable source as SB's etc.. take a while to filter down to the mechanics/engineers that embody them.

Only place I know you can get them is through the manufacturers subscription based tech services websites. Boeing and Airbus have very well appointed ones but I don't know about smaller firms.

If in doubt, your maintenance firms tech services department should be able to tell you whether an SB etc.. is current or not.

MrLobotomy
4th Apr 2004, 01:44
1) If you dont know what you are signing for why are you taking it!
2) We all know us spanner men are unprofessional, & can't be bothered with helping you prima donnas out.
3) So where is your home base support?
4) Ok so I will break the rule just this once & help a creamy that is paid 10 times what I get www.faa.gov if you can't find it there I give up!
5) Please dont tell my mates that I think air safety is important, they might all laugh.
6) In all seriousness if you think you are being compromised, then report it. You can't complain to anyone if you stuff your kite, & those on board whilst attempting a 90 degree landing at mach one.

VTM
4th Apr 2004, 21:02
Mikeferg,
"We are constantly faced with signing off seperate inspections as required by maintenance".
Are you signing off inspections as a pilot or A & P?

VTM

mainwheel
4th Apr 2004, 23:25
Is it harder to estimate height , visually, when you auto rotate in snowy terrain?

:ouch:

Blacksheep
5th Apr 2004, 05:15
You've ruffled a few feathers there mikeferg, but the way you put it means that you perhaps deserved a bit of a backlash.

Next point is, where are you operating and where are you aircraft registered? Its important because the various countries of registration operate quite different systems. In the UK for example, any task that is made mandatory in the country of origin or design is automatically applicable together with any extras that the UKCAA choose to impose. In the USA only FAA mandatories apply and they don't necessarily include everything from the country of origin.

So, if as it appears from the location at the foot of your post, you are in the USA, all the mandatories for your aircraft are on the FAA site to which MrLobotomy directed you, but to be more specific the ADs are given here (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet) and Advisory Circulars are given here (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet). Your maintenance people will have been supplied with various telexes and advisory information from the manufacturers and possibly initiated actions before the FAA actually make them mandatory, but until they are listed they are only voluntary. [Don't forget to monitor the engine and equipment sections as well as the aircraft section. You have to comply with them as well.}

Service Bulletins are often superseded by revisions and in many cases it doesn't really matter which revision the SB was incorporated at - it depends on the effectivity section at the front of the SB itself. If you really want to know the current revision status of any SB the only way is to subscribe to the various manufacturers' SB services. Very costly! I'm afraid.you'll just have to trust 'the mechanic' or at least the back office chap who raised the relevant work package that the mechanic worked with ..

gaterbait
9th Apr 2004, 22:49
If your company operates Boeings I'm sure they subscribe to "My Boeing Fleet.com" where you can find a full listing of all SBs,SLs MMs etc:D

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2004, 01:13
Boeing do make great big wobblycopters gatorbait, but I think our friend is flying smaller French machines (eg AS350s). The rotary world is very mixed up, for example here in Borneo we often play host to a Canadian outfit operating a Philippines registered, French manufactured helicopter on contract to an American company. They are a very self contained crew and they do everything for themselves. Complying with regulations can become quite complicated in such a situation. I sympathise with mikeferg and his rotary colleagues in their search for answers. Operating out in the field, they often have to sign off on special OOP checks far from main base and the customary comforts.