PDA

View Full Version : External USB2/Firewire Hard Disk Identity Failure

OVERTALK
1st Apr 2004, 08:29
I keep getting a "Windows - Delayed write failed" under Win XP Pro (PIV 3.2ghz with PC4-800 MB and one gb of quality RAM).
"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I:\\$Mft (i.e. I colon backslash). The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or Network Connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Now this is confusing. Is it a scratch file of some sort? (that remains forever unwrit). Is it related to a setting? There appear to be two under "Device Manager" but it also seems to switch randomly between them. It wouldn't work while plugged into a Belkin USB/Firewire card so now it's attached to the MB's USB slot (in place of the mouse - which now lives in Belkinville).

I've noted that:
a. It is very hard to eliminate (cancel the message). It more often than not causes "My Computer" to stall - requiring a hard reset.

b. The ext HD still works OK (eventually). However you frequently have to change over the USB plug on the back of the crystal case to kick-start it.

c. On boot-up it goes into auto-logon and starts slowly reading (scanning) all the ext HD's contents (as if it was a CD). It won't cooperate under either of the options under "POLICIES" (Write Caching and Safe Removal offers you "optimize for quick removal" and "Optimize for performance")

It shows up as a plug and play compliant device i.e. "an Oxford Semi-conductor Ltd Oxford IDE device - IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (LOcation LUN 0)" - which sounds more like a sound-card to me???) - but it is little more than a Crystal drive case around a 120gb HD. It's my understanding that the Oxford chip constitutes the Firewire/USB2 interface....but Oxford deny all knowledge...

It has just come up with (after a reboot) "This Device is disabled (code 22)" and, after clicking <ENABLE> it said: "Windows was not able to enable this device".

Don't they ever trial these devices before letting them loose on an unsuspecting public?

fobotcso
1st Apr 2004, 10:09
I'm a tad confused but probably because I'm not too familiar with USB2; I do believe that the plug/socket geometry is the same as in original USB - no? And a Firewire plug won't fit into a USB socket; not without a scrunch. :ouch:

SBP2 = Serial Bus Protocol 2 and is the standard Firewire protocol I see when I plug in my La Cie external HDD. Nothing to do with a sound card. (Maybe you were thinking of Sound Blaster).

So, I lost it when you said that you have to changeover the USB plug frequently to keep the HDD running. Is this a Firewire device or a USB device?

Please could you tell us a bit more about the exact hardware set up?

OVERTALK
2nd Apr 2004, 05:30
Fobotsco
The crystal case comes with two USB ports and a Firewire port and two leads - and the plugs match the sockets on my case and the Belkin card.

I eventually resolved it by uninstalling the device, plugging it back into the Belkin card, installing it (and it was still unreliable). Thereafter uninstalled it whilst still attached to Belkin card and then booted it up fot a plug n' play install in lieu of the mouse (which is back in its Belkin slot).

What a rigmarole. However it seems to be behaving itself now (at least at the moment). Couldn't recommend it to anyone, as the HD runs continually, the outer casing gets hot (which means the HD must be red-hot) and the transformer gets too hot to handle also. I daresay it's chewing up 80 to 100 watts just on standby.

fobotcso
2nd Apr 2004, 08:12
I see. You haven't mentioned whether the Crystal case has its own power supply. It should have for USB operation; the standard Max power available at the normal USB socket is not enough to drive a HDD.

Firewire with 6 wires would do it, however.

Excuse me if this is a cheeky question, but, you're not using both USB and Firewire at the same time are you? :D

Firewire alone plugged straight into the MoBo is my favourite with my La Cie external HDD. But I've got three other external HDD enclosures. The Miglia enclosure for 2½" drives is great on Firewire with a power supply.

Another is by Amacom (USB is preferred) and the third is unbadged "cheapo" but made by Sanmax in the US from a chipset produced in UK called Genesis 711 that is similar to the Oxford chip you have (Firewire only).

You may draw comfort from knowing that there are others in the same pickle. Read HERE (http://www.macintouch.com/panfirewire.html)

The clue that something is odd about the Amacon and Sanmax enclosures is that when I try Partition Magic to manage the Partitions, it will not play. Doesn't like them.

My La Cie, however, is as solid as a rock.

Lastly, the Belkin card may need an internal Molex power extension if you are asking it to drive a HDD enclosure.

Saab Dastard
2nd Apr 2004, 15:25
fobotcso,

I've found that SOME PCs - particularly laptops - don't have enough power for my USB external HDD. Of the 4 systems I use regularly, 1 laptop and 2 desktops can power the drive just fine through the USB port alone, but one (old) laptop cannot and requires the external power supply.

Since I also find this at work, I will generalize by saying that the older the PC the more likely it is to have the power problem.

I must also point out that I am only talking about built-in or integrated USB ports, not expansion cards of which I have no experience yet.

SD