View Full Version : Typerating vs Classrating

Woolf
1st Apr 2004, 07:42
Following a recent discussion over a few beers (really!), the issue sourrounding typeratings and classratings came up again. Since I live and work here in the UK I am only familiar with the typerating system which seems to work fine but has a big downside - Money! I have noticed that JAR has started to move in that direction (Warp 9 as usual .....;) ) on piston helicopter renewal/revalidation and I am curious whether other states do operate a classrating system and how it is organised. What constitutes a class? Is it weight limited? What about special types? Renewal/Revalidation? Any downside?

Any comments welcome :ok:

Woolf

Camp Freddie
1st Apr 2004, 20:06
I am told by my swedish chum that the swedish national system worked on the basis of class ratings wheras JAR FCL 2 has now been implemented , but apparently class ratings can be renewed by people who hold the national licences and apparently very few people are upgrading to JAR licences because these class ratings will be lost

kates
3rd Apr 2004, 15:33
Hi (I am the Swedish chum....)

If the pilot have more than 200 hours TT in helos a type can be renewed by a PC in one of the types in the group of the type.

Group 1:
SEP Helicopters
Group 2:
Bell 206/206L, BeII 407, HU369/MD500N/600, SC330, ENF480
Group 3:
AS350, EC120

As an example. You have the R22 type, 300CB and F28 and more than 200 hours total. You only have to do one PC to renew all of your types. If you have more than 1000 hours total, one PC in any of the three groups will renew all of your types in the three groups.

Cheers