PDA

View Full Version : Quick interview question

Chuffer Chadley
31st Mar 2004, 18:24
Evening all

I'm on a rare excursion from the familiar safety of the 'Wannabees' forums, but please humour me for just a moment...

I've been offered an interview as a duty ops dude, and have been rummaging through the company website. It's all pretty clear, but there's one acronym that has been bothering me:

What on earth is CRS? From what I can gather it's something to do with travel agents. I think.

All help is gratefully received!

Ciao
Chuffer Chadley

Whooaahh
1st Apr 2004, 00:46
"CRS" refers to Common (or Customer) Reservation System also known as a "GDS" which stands for Global Distribution System. Sabre (AA), Gabriel (SITA) and Amadeus (LH) are the big three and are primarily used by travel agents to book passengers onto a variety of different carriers.

Whooaahh

Chuffer Chadley
1st Apr 2004, 08:48
Whooaahh

Brilliant! Very many thanks indeed for that - very helpful.

Cheers
CC

sixmilehighclub
1st Apr 2004, 23:49
You also have Galileo and Worldspan which are widely used in flight only pasenger reservations in the UK and worldwide.

Many agents have an in-house adapted version of a CRS to suit their needs. Either way, most are directly linked to the airlines main res system, and will display a max of 9 seats per bookable class of travel.

Worldspan for example has different versions including a simple windows version for basic bookings (point and click), and a more complex version where you type commands into a blank screen to display flight availability (eg: *alhrhkg26jun/ba) and on the more complex version you can build your own fares (subject to the airlines confirmation), print tickets, request wheelchair assistance, seats, extra legroom, special meals etc.... all electronically 'queued' (sent) direct to the airline to reply to the agents computer with a decision/ confirmation.
Oh and you can get weather, horoscopes and recipes too.

I really am a mind of useless information. Right, I'm off to get some serious councelling....

Six

:ok:

Chuffer Chadley
5th Apr 2004, 15:54
It's a whole world just waiting to be discovered!

Thanks!

CC

:ok: