PDA

View Full Version : Coins

SLF 999
19th Nov 2001, 19:24
You have 3 coins that added together total 75 P one of them isnt a 50 P.
What are the coins?

Kalium Chloride
19th Nov 2001, 19:38
My coins are a 5p, a 20p (that's the one which isn't a 50p) and a 50p.

Total 75p. Which I'm planning to spend on an easyJet return to Australia.

BlueDiamond
19th Nov 2001, 19:41
1 x 50p
1 x 20p
1 x 5p

That might be right although TWO of them are not a 50p coin.

HugMonster
19th Nov 2001, 19:46
3 x 1 coins and wait a couple of years! :D

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 22:07
1x60p
2x7.5p

;)

The Guvnor
19th Nov 2001, 23:07
Hmmm, two Silver Jubilee and a Royal Wedding Crown!

(Half Crown = 2/6 so crown = 5/- or 25p, for those too young to remember LSD except as as a mind-bending phamaceutical product!)

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 23:18
If you used all the coins in circulation when Draper was a sprog, ie proper money.
halfcrown
florin
shilling
sixpence
thrupence
penny
halfpenny.
you get seven and fourpence happney.
One could get sh*t faced have a fish supper enjoy the services of a lady of the night, get a taxi home, and still have enuough left to put a deposit down on a house.

cabair16
19th Nov 2001, 23:24
Don't forget the Farthing Mr Draper...When I was a lad that is all we got payed for signing two year articles !

TAF Oscar
19th Nov 2001, 23:27
1 daalder (2,50), 1 dubbeltje (0,10) and 1 stuiver (0,05) = NLG 2,65 or 75p equivalent.

'course, soon we will have the Euro and it's little Euro-cents, instead of our faithful Guilder, and then it doesn't work any more.

Bah.

Loki
19th Nov 2001, 23:28
Wot no farthings Draper?

When I was a lad, blah blah blah.....

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 00:18
Listen Draper is banging on a bit,he is bald and a tad wrinkled, but he's not that old.
I believe farthings ceased to be legal tender at the end of the war, the second one that is.
There were also Crowns, Five Shilling pieces, but I don't think it was normal to spend them over the counter,rather like the five pound coin now,only the Crown would buy a lot more than the fiver coin.
I do just remember one of my uncles having one of those big white fivers, but at the time, Draper was sitting on the floor in a puddle of urine, gumming a Farleys rusk.
Bloody hell nothings changed much.

PS,said that before one of you smart arses could get it in, Drapers old but he ain't daft yet. ;) ;)

PPS, bring back the ten bob note.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

The Guvnor
20th Nov 2001, 13:52
Hmmm, Mr Draper might be old and not daft - but I don't think he can add! That little lot comes to 6/4.5 not 7/4.5!

I've got some farthings hanging around somewhere - about the same size as the current penny but worth 0.1p - with a robin on the reverse. The very last date of farthing to be issued was 1956, and the farthing was demonetised shortly after, at the end of 1960. Farthings had survived for over 677 years.

According to this website (http://www.24carat.co.uk/farthingstory.html) there were even quarter farthings produced: Copper quarter farthings, incredible as it may seem to have needed coins worth 3840 to the pound, were produced from 1839 to 1853, but were almost exclusively reserved for use in Ceylon. The design of quarter farthings followed that of half farthings, in having as their reverse type, their value in two lines
surmounted by a crown.

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 14:20
Draper apologises, you are correct,
six and fourpence halfpenny.
Re farthings, there were still lots around but I can't ever remember anybody spending farthings. ;)

hailstone
21st Nov 2001, 09:34
three quarters would also do the trick :D

KD
22nd Nov 2001, 00:55
But then that would make 75 Cents , not Pence :rolleyes: ...... :confused: ...... :p ...... :D

KD
22nd Nov 2001, 01:01
Oh and Mr D ? Your first reply on this subject made me laugh for hours ! :)

tony draper
22nd Nov 2001, 01:10
People tend to forget there was a decimal half p origionaly, the protocol around here was to pelt them up the street if you got one in your change, perhaps that is why they were withdrawn.
Asked a few people around my age yesterday if they ever recalled spending farthings, nobody could, one older lady said she recalled her payslip showing fourpence threefarthings in the last colomn in 1948 but she thought they had been discontinued as legal tender during the war.
Did a search on google,plenty of references to farthings, but no date they were discontinued as legal tender, first time Google has let me down.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

TAF Oscar
22nd Nov 2001, 23:14
O most wise and merciful HerrD,

perhaps you should check out the following site:
http://www.bignell.uk.com/up_to_dec.htm

Loads of gen on pre-decimal coinage, including pictures, and even the elusive farthing. Quote:
"Production of farthings ceased in 1956, when inflation had rendered them practically worthless. They were withdrawn completely in 1960."

With the sincere hope to have been of the most humble service,

Kindest Regards,

TAF-O

The Guvnor
23rd Nov 2001, 00:01
Truly, I fear for Mr Draper's health. Not only has his arithmetical ability shown itself to be slowing down; but his eyesight seems to be fading fast as well.

On my last post here, I said: "The very last date of farthing to be issued was 1956, and the farthing was demonetised shortly after, at the end of 1960. Farthings had survived for over 677 years." - I also provided a rather interesting link to a site all about farthings ... which incidentally I found on Google! :D :D :D

If he deteriorates much further, then I fear we will see him shuffling off these etereal pages bound for some place of rest and retirement. :( :( :(

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 00:45
I can't understand that, as kids we played with farthings I had a mustard jar full, I would have thought if there were the slightest chance of them being spendable in the corner shop we would have been down there like robbers dogs, grubby little hands bulging with farthings.
Damm wish I had known, its wrong to keep things like that from kids. ;)

Per Ardua Ad Asda
25th Nov 2001, 15:36
Oi Guvnor!
...people in glass cockpits shouldn't throw er.... Farthings? It would seem that your eyesight is also failing as you appear to have mis-identified a "Wren" as a "Robin".

:D ........ s'alwight. Don't mention it. Glad to be of 'elp.

Anyone remember Groats?

---------------------------
Through Adversity to Ye Olde Milkinge Shedde

The Guvnor
26th Nov 2001, 13:55
Oops!! :D :o :D

Don't have too many wrens down in Africa - except in Simonstown when the RN comes calling! :D :D :D

HugMonster
26th Nov 2001, 20:45
No longer is the Navy life "Up with the lark, to bed with a Wren" :(

Wrens don't exist any longer in the RN!

Mobster
27th Nov 2001, 17:36
If memory serves correctly...
"You only f*ck a Wren if you're to lazy to W*nk"

gravity victim
27th Nov 2001, 19:00
Sudden memory of embarrassing paternal joke;

"Ten Wrens went into a cold shower, twenty Bluetits came out.."

Remember how parents' attempts at humour used to bring one's teenage self out in a cold sweat of embarrassment.... :eek:

Davaar
28th Nov 2001, 05:22
Does all this talk of the farthing have to be quite so patronising? The farthing was no mere theoretical unit of measurement. It had real over the counter value. In 1939 the youthful Davaar was well able to buy a stick of rock (you know what rock is?), cinnamon in flavour to be exact, for one farthing. For a ha'penny, needless to say, the merchandise was beyond calculation.

The Guvnor
28th Nov 2001, 10:38
This probably explains why even Billy Bunter was able to live for many months on a ten bob note.

Davaar
28th Nov 2001, 20:56
No question, Guvnor, with a ten bob note Bunter was well heeled. When we went on holiday to Arran around 1944, I had a One Pound note to last the 30 days. There were of course 40 sixpences to the Pound, so this treasury yielded more than 6d per day. Clearly a mistake somewhere in the math. How could one spend so much?

In an aberrant moment I now turn to aviation, believe it or not, and fares. In 1857 Butterfield Overland introduced the stage coach service from St Louis, MO, to San Francisco, CA. The trip took 21 days. The fare was US$200.00 Westbound and US$100.00 Eastbound. All extras were just that: extra.

I wanted to compare our current airfares with the stage, but without success. Is there any economist, central banker, or very rich person among us who can give me a, say, Cost of Living Index or any other accepted index quotation for the US$1.00 of 1857 in terms of the US$1.00 of 2001?

tony draper
28th Nov 2001, 22:18
A ten bob note was indeed wealth beyond the wildest dreams of a grubby young lad.
In fact Draper knew people in the early sixties, who would not turn in to work if they still had a ten bob note in their pocket after the weekends debauchery. ;)

Tinstaafl
28th Nov 2001, 23:53
Start with a one pound coin. Give a way 1 x 20p and 1 x 5p, leaving you with the equivalent of 75p!

T.

I really ought to work in finance...

The Guvnor
29th Nov 2001, 00:22
Out of interest, Davaar - out of the thirty days you spent on Arran, on how many of them was it raining?

Loki
29th Nov 2001, 01:23
Ah, the ten bob note. I used to get one every year inside my birthday card from one set of grandparents. The other set (the posh ones) used to send a postal order for 10/6 (half a guinea).

I distinctly remember spending farthings as a lad, and I am of post war vintage. But I also remember them being in my tin of odd coinage along with my South African half crown and silver threepenny bit.

henry crun
29th Nov 2001, 01:34
Davaar: $1 in 1857 would be worth $20.31 today.

PS. I not a economist and if I am rich my bank would like to hear the glad tidings

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

Davaar
29th Nov 2001, 16:59
Thank you, Mr Crun. It is less than I should have thought. If Overland still offered the 21-day trip for $4,000.00+/-, I might be tempted to try it.

No Guv, no rain at all. On others, maybe, but not on me. That 6d would rent a rowing boat from Captain Stein, and Lochranza was full of fish. The Clyde was full of warships.

Tricky Woo
29th Nov 2001, 18:47
Davaar,

The Clyde is still full of warships... underwater ones, so you can't see 'em. You know, the ones powered by nuclear reactors and bearing lots and lots of Trident missiles. Oh yeah, each missile can bear up to six 100 kilo-tonne nuclear warhead.

Makes yer proud to be British.

TW

tony draper
29th Nov 2001, 18:57
Interestingly Mr TW, Draper believes they are dial yield warheads, one sets a little dial between say .2 of a kiloton that only allows a little bit of the gunpowder to go off,for bonfire night and such, or whack it right up to the full 100kt, if you really want to frighten someone,
all the gunpowder goes of at once ;)
Errr, those boats are in the English navy not the Scottish navy aren't they??. :eek:
Anyway when Draper was a youngun, we had proper nukes,20 megaton planet busters, and Ivan had a few 50 megaton ones, none of these cissy 100kt tactical thingies.
Again standards have slipped. ;)

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Tricky Woo
29th Nov 2001, 19:35
Herr Draper,

Tis true, I'm afraid... these modern nukes really are a bit twee compared to the good old days. It makes one wonder why?

Perhaps the fashion is now for smaller, tactical nukes, that can be comfortably carried in a ladies handbag, or perhaps the inner pocket of a gentleman's jacket? They're like mobile phone, one supposes: the old ones worked well, but looked a bit silly in a wine bar.

I notice also that multiple-warheaded missiles are all the rage. No nuclear nation would be seen dead with a missile bearing a single device; all the other countries would laugh and point, it seems. Methinks a casually tossed twenty megatonne device might wipe the smirk off their faces, huh?

I wonder if clustered devices can be individually targetted, or are they sort of scattered about willy-nilly? If they are simply scattered, then why not just drop a single fat f**ker to do the job properly? A single "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!" is far more likely to scare the natives than the individual "Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!" of a Trident.

Truly pathetic.

TW

tony draper
29th Nov 2001, 19:59
Certainly Mr TW, the Mirv's Draper designed for MOD, could indeed hit double top single 16, and double 16.
MIRV , multiple Independantly targeted re-entry vehicles, Draper actualy thought up that acronim, and still has not as yet been paid for it. :(

Tricky Woo
29th Nov 2001, 20:10
Herr Draper,

Ingenius, methinks.

How independently targettable are they? Could one warhead be sent down to, say, Beijing, whlist another is aimed firmly at Birmingham? Or is multi-targetting only within a certain geographic area as defined by the missile's flight profile?

You never know, such knowledge might come in handy one day.

Amazing what one may learn from a thread on the seemingly boring subject of old coins.

TW

tony draper
29th Nov 2001, 20:24
One has to be discrete here Mr TW, after all this forum is open to god knows who, and Draper is reliaby informed that we have a resident spook, one does not wish to attract the midnight knock, the hollow click on the phone line, the damp scuffed envelopes containing ones mail.
One suggests you direct your enquires at one of our Russian Members, we have a few one thinks, after all they have always known more about our stuff than we did.
Never understood why those Cambridge chaps found young Ivan so attractive. :(

Loki
29th Nov 2001, 22:01
Herr Draper

Obvious really, it`s those fur hats they wear.

Plus of course some of their kit looks really sexy. No, I`m not talking about the boots, I mean their submarines and their fighters e.g the Mig 29 etc

tony draper
29th Nov 2001, 22:10
According to our intelligence sevices most of those 29's are just cardboard, and the Su27 is just rubber shell that fits over the old mig 15, and those subs are just made from snow painted black. ;)

KD
29th Nov 2001, 22:22
WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE COINS !!!

Davaar
29th Nov 2001, 23:01
Quite right, KD, to bring us back to the coins. That would have been HMS Royal Sovereign, Ramillies class, line of battle ship.

Yes, Tricky, they had the submersibles even then, though I remember them better sweeping close inshore (on the surface) passing Kilchattan Bay in Bute.

Just round the corner at Lamlash, with booms at both ends of the Holy Isle, were wall to wall warships, of all kinds and from all allied nations. Some of the bigger vessels would slip from time to time, and from far down the estuary came the gun-flashes on the horizon. Then the tugs would come back up the River with the target trellises knocked about.

On the hills were Polish troops, working up for such jaunts as Monte Cassino, I suppose. I wonder how many survived the war and what lay in store for them afterwards.

The place was hopping.

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: Davaar ]

Davaar
30th Nov 2001, 01:39
Then there were the lawyers from Bermuda who went to London. They were accosted in the West End by a lady of the evening:

Madam! I am the Crown Attorney of Bermuda!

Sir! I am the half-crown solicitor of Piccadilly!

tony draper
30th Nov 2001, 02:17
Draper had a uncle who died about twelve years ago, going thru his things I found a small leather ,velvet lined case with a set of Maunday(sp)coins, some very strange values among them, any numismatists here, with knowledge of the value of these things.? :cool:

henry crun
30th Nov 2001, 02:32
I'm no expert on these coins Mr D but a quick search on google revealed, among other info, the following.

The coins come in sets containing one of each of the coins. Each set has a face value of 10p (10d, until decimalisation in 1971) though if recipients' families decide eventually to sell, they can fetch 60 or more at auction. Each recipient gets Maundy coins to the same face value in pence as the years of The Queen's age.

tony draper
30th Nov 2001, 02:44
The box is next door at my brothers house ,will take a look at them tomorrow,
Only looked at them briefly when I found them,they seem to very small and of unusual values,there is a quarter farthing as I recal.
Don't even know if they are genuine.
One has to be carefull with these kind of antique things.
Draper bought a Stradivarious and a Michael Angelo once.
Turns out Stradivarious was a lousy painter, and Michael Angelo made crappy violins ;)

The old ones are the best.

tony draper
30th Nov 2001, 13:59
Hmmm,Very interesting, just had a look at the coins, they are in a small leather velvet lined box, there aare four of the little bugg*rs, the largest about the size of the much disscussed farthing above, the smallest must be only about a quarter of a inch across,
they have the numbers 4,3,2,and 1, no value,ie it does not say pence,or penny, Queen Victoria face on tother side and the date 1897 on all four.
Draper awaits phone call from Sotherby's ;)

henry crun
30th Nov 2001, 14:21
As you say, interesting, let us know if you find out any more Mr D, because obviously Victoria was not ten years old when they were given out.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: henry crun ]

tony draper
30th Nov 2001, 14:39
Furthermore, for those of you with a interest in history, Draper is off up to Alnwick Castle this morning.
Can't say much more about this, security you understand. :cool:

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

tony draper
30th Nov 2001, 21:49
Eureka! Draper has found it, the farthing was demonetized? in 1960.
Just think Draper the younger had all that wealth and didn't know it. :(

Elizabeth II
The wren design continued for the farthings of Elizabeth II and is still remembered by my generation with affection.
There are four varieties of the 1953 farthing, with two obverses and two reverses.

Obv.1: Upper arm of cross points at a border bead. M.G. indistinct.
Obv.2: Upper arm of cross points between two border beads. M.G. distinct.
Rev.A: F points between two border beads.
Rev.B: F points at a border bead.
In its later years the farthing became increasingly little used. At one time the main use was in the purchase of bread, where the price of bread was determined by law after the Second World War. The pound loaf cost an amount involving an odd halfpenny, so the half pound loaf required a amount with an odd farthing!

The last farthing was minted in 1956, and the coin was finally demonetized at the end of 1960.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

KD
5th Dec 2001, 01:41
I have three coins that total . .. . .never mind . :(

tony draper
5th Dec 2001, 02:09
Item on the news about the euro being issued all over Europe next month, there seem to be some suprisingly high value Euro notes.
Wish Draper had know of this, wouldn't have bothered stamping out twenty thousand of the 5 Euro coins. :(

Gash Handlin
17th Dec 2001, 01:10
Come on then KD, put us out of our misery :D

The Guvnor
17th Dec 2001, 02:37
Mr Draper - I fear your efforts have been in vain. The highest denomination coin in circulation will be the €2 - the €5 is in fact a note.

tony draper
17th Dec 2001, 02:52
Damm. :(

djk
17th Dec 2001, 03:33
Guvnor,

There was a 5 coin brought out a couple of years ago, and this is still legal tender, it was only brought out for a year to celebrate the millenium (I believe) or the summer olympics.