PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Idea

goates
31st Mar 2004, 17:01
Nvidia is building a firewall into their new Athlon 64 motherboard chipsets. Maybe the other chipset designers will follow suit. This could certainly cut down the number of viruses running around the net.

Anandtech - nForce3 250 (http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2004)

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Mar 2004, 19:23
goates,

One of the advantages of being a Moderator for a MSI and a Beta Tester for nVidia is the window into the future. I cannot go into details, but look for the Socket 939 MSI Kn8 Gem.

Some info was recently given at CeBIT:

CeBIT Online Exhibition (http://msi.vtion.com)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. It is a shame that nVidia removed the Dolby Digital SoundStorm from their nForce3 Chipsets. :(

DeepC
31st Mar 2004, 19:36
Isn't this what is called anti-competitive behaviour?

Microsoft got fined for bundling multimedia software seamlessly into it's operating system and therefore reducing the demand for other software companies products. What is the difference here?

I'm not digging or criticising NVidia but am interested in what constitutes fair development of a product and what constitutes uncompetitive behavour.

Any thoughts?

DeepC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Mar 2004, 19:41
DeepC,

I do not think it is any different than when the motherboards started to include:

Onboard Video
Onboard Sound
Onboard LAN
Onboard USB
Onboard Firewire

Take Care,

Richard

goates
31st Mar 2004, 20:34
I saw some of the reports from cebit about new motherboards. I've heard some ideas or rumours that nVidia might release their own sound cards, or make the Sound Storm an option in the future. Apparently very few people are taking advantage of it right now. Now to find a way to justify spending the money on upgrading...

I don't think this is anti-competitive at all. As Richard pointed out, motherboard manufacturers have included just about everything else into their boards you can think of. This hasn't hurt the market for add in cards at all as the motherboards usually only include the low end versions anyways. Just look a the difference between built-in video cards and AGP cards. For the average user these options are usually just fine, and power users are knowledgeable enough to add their own.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Apr 2004, 00:19
goates,

I can tell you there are no plans for a SoundStorm Sound Card.

Part of the problem is that the large OEMs convinced nVidia that no one wanted the Dolby Digital Onboard SoundStorm. In fact the opposite is true. One of the biggest selling points of the nForce Chipsets is SoundStorm.

There are petitions running all over the net asking nVidia to put SoundStorm back into their Chipset.

I sure hope nVidia listens. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 06:25
goates,

Here is a little preview for you:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nForce3) Motherboard (http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?p=223564)

Do not forget to click on the image at the bottom. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

goates
7th Apr 2004, 14:48
Richard,

I wish you hadn't posted that. Now I am tempted to save for one this summer... :suspect: :D

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Apr 2004, 18:46
goates,

I already have it on my upgrade checklist. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard