PDA

View Full Version : Air Nelson making ATR enquiries

ZK-EBC
31st Mar 2004, 10:31
Air Nelson have approached a New Zealand based company (cant name it) about their ability to run ATR ground courses for a large number of tech crew & training for FA's. I know there has been talk on pprune about them getting one ATR- 42, but by the sound of their enquiries they might have much bigger plans for the type.
A complete change of fleet and a pax capacity increase of 30%.....How realistic do you think this is?

NoseGear
1st Apr 2004, 02:12
G'day ZK, its pretty common knowledge that Air NS are going to do a fleet upgrade early next year. It will be a complete fleet change to the selected new type and by the sounds of things, the ATR42 is the front runner, for lots of reasons, least of all type commonality with Mt Cook, good for training, parts etc. Also a proven performer in NZ. Will be very interesting to see what type they do get, but if I was a betting man, it would be the ATR.

By the way, that company wouldn't be in CHC would it?

belowMDA
1st Apr 2004, 04:43
Boys don't write off the Q300, or for that matter the 2000 or 328, because ATR is very confident on getting the contract and as a result aren't being too flexible on the number of beer vouchers it will take to buy them. interesting times.....

NoseGear
1st Apr 2004, 05:12
Yep, certainly is interesting times for the NS boys and girls. I would have thought the 328 would be a non-starter as it only has 32 seats, although its a pocket rocket at 330kts I'm sure keeping the drivers grinning from ear to ear :D :D is not top of the list of requirements! Same I would imagine for the 2000, but also for the fact only 64 or something ever built, really doesn't make for a long term solution.

The Dash 8-Q300 is a very interesting choice, but it is 50 seats so would need 2 FA's. I would think that if they don't go airplane for airplane on the "trade-in's", in that they get less Dash 8's, then that will not be such an issue as they will have trained and experienced FA's of the required number already. Any idea when the decision is to be made anyone?

wandrinabout
1st Apr 2004, 05:18
...number of beer vouchers to buy them?

I think you will find that if Air NZ decides to go with the A330, then there will not be very many beer vouchers required at all.

Toulouse is not that big a town you know, Airbus and ATR probably use the same bank...

ZK-EBC
1st Apr 2004, 08:38
If we're talking a complete swap of type, then the -42 must have a huge advantage - esp if talk of Mount Cook getting an ATR sim rings true. Better utilisation of an expensive asset, common type rating, spares, maintenance and they can do all the training here in chch... i like the sound of that. Folding Air Nelson into Mount Cook would probably be next on the agenda, but where that would leave pay & conditions who knows.
Also would we be talking a combination of lease/purchase for the -42's or are there quite a few used examples out there?

druglord
1st Apr 2004, 12:07
ATR's? don't they have a 1:1 hours flown to hours of maintenance ratio?

Eurocap
1st Apr 2004, 19:09
Tell me what other aeroplane doesnt?

Cloud Cutter
2nd Apr 2004, 01:09
Although I don't think you could go past the ATR (all things considered), I sincerely hope Air NZ doesn't go for the A330 over 777s:(

As mentioned, a larger aircraft for Air Nelson would prob result in fleet reduction (esp if they get 72s) - so how many ATRs do you need to replace 17 Saab 340s? Is it going to be a repeat of their last fleet reduction - this time FAs may be involved also.:ugh:

BCF Breath
2nd Apr 2004, 05:59
As said previously, there WON'T be a 1 for 1 replacement, maybe 12 or 13 for the 17.

I did hear recently that the down time on the -42 is way longer for a "C" or HMV check than they are currently used to with the 340, so the 2000 came back in for a closer look....

However... nah can't tell that story, too close for comfort.

Tight wads, could have sent some of the TRG Staff to Froggy Land for a wee jaunt.....

Eurocap
3rd Apr 2004, 01:25
So the 340B is looking more promising then????

ZK-NSN
3rd Apr 2004, 06:52
I reackon its down to either the -42 or new s340's. Both have their own advantages/disadvantages.

saab- already proven, no real re-training for crew or engineers and a sim close by for checks, ( i beleive closest -42 sim is in thailand)

atr- first of type but so similar to the -72 anyway. more pax but still only needing 3 crew, plus alot of spares, engineers and knowledge with mount cook. I hear after about 7 years the atrs start becoming hanger queens though.

too close to call. Below mda is probably right, depends who offers the most beer.

ZFT
3rd Apr 2004, 22:42
<( i beleive closest -42 sim is in thailand)>

There are 2 ATR 72/42 sims in Bangkok now, both JAA approved to Level D

Plas Teek
4th Apr 2004, 03:47
Whichever company is doing a "Last Run" will get it.

737-300, B-1900D..........