PDA

View Full Version : Instructing to Cathay

squawk1200
31st Mar 2004, 05:06
Hi Everyone, I have been reading a lot of the posts about and thought that I would ask the question of you guys (I am sorry I know this or similar question’s have been raised in the past). I am currently working as a flying instructor teaching China Southern Cadets in WA and I'm 21 years old.

By the end of the year I hope to have finished all of my ATPL subjects and will have around 800hours. I would like to stay with my present company for a few years and work up to get onto our twins to get some multi IFR hours, and also have my Grade 1 FIR and also Multi Engine Teaching Approval.

My question to you all would Cathay “approve” of the 3000hours or so I would eventually have instructing if it included the Multi IFR component. Or would they prefer someone who has charter or military experience. I realise it all comes down to the testing and interviews, but I am wondering how they view instructional hours. Also will teaching Chinese for the 3 or so years be of an advantageous point for me do you think?

For many years now I have wanted to work for Cathay and I have been lucky enough to have some close family friends who live in Disco Bay, so I have visited Hong Kong numerous times and have had the pleasure of visiting CX City (including playing in one of the Sim’s, which was awesome) Living in DB is a lifestyle I would love to have, and unlike a lot of people around I enjoy and like living in Hong Kong.

Dragon Air would also be awesome to work for but i get the feeling that they are more after people with Jet time, which is not unachieveable as i realise that i may need to move to a Smaller Turbine operator before either CX or KA would look at me.

It is no surprise to me the amount of work that will be involved over the next 5 years of my life to get were I want to be, but im more than willing to make the sacrifices I need to and to work extremely hard to be working for the airline I want. However I do hope that I am going to be around when the “window of opportunity” is still open at CX.

I would really like to send of a letter or email including my CV, to someone at CX introducing myself. But I am unsure that if in the early days before I am suitably qualified if this would show an interest they would be happy with or if it would be more of an annoyance to them. Also who would be best to send this to, and in email or post, im not sure what they prefer up there.

I hope this all makes sense and that people are able to give me general thoughts. I realise that posting information on this forums can sometimes be an easy way to get info. But I also feel it is a good way to see what other people think. “Knowledge is power”

Thanks for you time

jtr
31st Mar 2004, 06:00
Do your ATPL, send off a resume, keep bugging them.
Get some turbine time, bug them more.
Go to Hong Kong and bludge off your rellys for a few weeks. Learn that DB is not HK, and just because you like one, you don't necessarily like the other.
Think of how much fun it is training the CS cadets, and then imagine being able to experience that, laugh a minute, lateral thinking, always glad to see you culture, all day every day.
Bug them some more.
Get job, come to HK, move to DB, tell me how great HK is.
Hope that helps:}