PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP, worth sticking around for?

johnnypick
31st Mar 2004, 04:58
I'm currently instructing in the States, I've got 1250 hours and trying to get the magic 1500. However, I'm thinking about going back to the UK soon and not bothering with the FAA ATP, when it comes to applying to the airlines in the UK, will it look better if I have the FAA ATP on the CV, or is it not an issue. The last 250 hours are becoming a drag, as I want to go home and get the JAA CPL and IR check rides out of the way, so I can start looking for a proper job.

raysalmon
31st Mar 2004, 18:35
Depends how long it will take you to get the final 250, and whether when you reach the 1500 makr, you'll have met all the other requirements for PIC, X-Country, Instrument and especially Night.

I would personally hang out and get the ATP done. After all, it never expires and it will be to your advantage to have it if a time should come when you would want to work for a US operator. While you're in the "U.S." mode of aviation-thinking it will be easier to do it now than later.

As for it looking attractive to a JAA operator...I highly doubt it. They're more interested in a JAA ATPL. If you have that, they won't care two hoots about any FAA qualifications.

But in the end it's up to you and your priorities.

Ray

scroggs
31st Mar 2004, 18:48
An FAA ATPL can be very valuable should you have to find work outside the EU. While there are few places that will accept an FAA licence rather than JAA one, it seems a bit silly not to get it if you have the opportunity. It depends who's paying for those 250 hours, I guess.....!

Scroggs

johnnypick
1st Apr 2004, 00:45
Thanks for the input guys. As an add on question, while I'm here is there anything that I can be doing to add to CV. Ie Multi time, instrument time, types of aircraft flown. I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI with 1250 total 100 multi (Duchess and C310)75 IFR, 100 night 400 x-country (FAA 50nm).

cheers

Keygrip
1st Apr 2004, 02:26
J P - let's approach this from a slightly different perspective.

Do you have ANY JAA qualifications - even a PPL?

Have you done the elusive JAA written exams?

Have you considered moving to Florida and working, as an instructor, for a school that is also JAA CPL and I/R approved??

johnnypick
1st Apr 2004, 05:16
Keygrip, yep writtens are all done JAA PPL/MEP in the bag, just need to get the flight tests out of the way. I'm in the States for another few months and just need to know, is it worth getting the FAA ATP or just doing some cheap flying to help me on the way when I get home.

Keygrip
1st Apr 2004, 10:43
"Writtens done" makes it much easier.

Could you not spend your last few months in the States working in Florida instead of San Diego?

Work at one of the schools that does JAA CPL training and you could build your last few hours and get the CPL ride out of the way at the same time.

You will probably find the CPL 'check ride' much easier in the USA (with all your USA experience) than you will if you try to do it back in the U.K.