PDA

View Full Version : 5 hours mutual flying

buzzc152
30th Mar 2004, 20:28
Part of the FI(r) course consists of 5 hours mutual flying with another FI student. My question is : is this 5 hours each, so actually you would fly 10 hours mutual OR is it 5 hours between the two students ? If this is the case then only 2.5 hours can be logged by a student in this phase and hence make the total course 27.5 hours OR do both students log the time as PIC (surely not) ?

Many thanks

homeguard
30th Mar 2004, 20:33
5 hours each student is allowed as part of the course hours total. The student acting as Instructor logs P1. Mutual flying however isn't mandatory, it is optional.

mad_jock
30th Mar 2004, 20:54
I found it pretty pointless as well.

Much more effective was taking the guy on the ops desk (who was doing his PPL) for maint trips and going over lessons he had already done. Or going out with a 1000hr instructor who would be able to act the dick in a completely student manner without becoming unsafe.

MJ

RobinHood
4th Apr 2004, 15:06
I also found it pretty useless. Flying with a 500-1000hr experienced instructor would have been much better.

Also, when I did my AFI rating under the old rules, it only covered certain aircraft types, on which you had to have 5 hours PIC and a check flight with the FIC instructor. I ended up having to fly off 5 hours P1 on a Tomahawk so I could get it on my licence, even though I had done the entire 28-hour AFI course on it! Madness.