PDA

View Full Version : University Boat Race

joesimon
30th Mar 2004, 19:12
Was anyone else bored enough to watch it? If so, should Cambridge have been disqualified for nearly decapitating Oxford's cox and de-seating one of their team?

Surely theres an Oxbridge graduate here somewhere with something to say?

EyesToTheSkies
30th Mar 2004, 19:19
If it had been next year, we'd probably all have missed the critical moment as ITV would've gone for a commercial break. :ok:

chiglet
30th Mar 2004, 19:31
js,
Isn't "Oxbridge" a generic term for Oxford/Cambridge?:confused:
So "Just" which side should He/She support?
watp,iktch

joesimon
30th Mar 2004, 19:41
yeh, if someone is from oxford or cambridge chances are they will have something to say as they're the only two unis in it!

Oxford peeps will say it shoulda bin a foul, Cambridge will say it shouldnt...noone else seems to care either way!

30th Mar 2004, 19:57
To make it a bit more exciting, they should take a lesson form Ben Hur, and add spikes to the sides of the boats. (blades on the end of the oars would be good too:E )

Send Clowns
30th Mar 2004, 22:46
I am Cambridge graduate, so obviously pleased with the result although I was at work and missed it. The judgement comes therefore from an independent third party, and I believe Oxford fouled to nearly get their cox decapitated, being in Cambridge's water. Some time ago my college's boat killed a certain rival's cox like that (hence there is no St John's college boat club, only the LMBC), so they ought to be more careful!

Anthony Carn
31st Mar 2004, 05:15
Did I miss something (for a change) ?

".........nearly decapitating Oxford's cox and de-seating one of their team?"

Almost sounds interesting !

All no doubt occured to cries of "You bounder, sir !", "You rotters !", "You scoundrels !" and "Oh, I say !" just to add to the.......erm........ drama. :bored:

Saddest thing is, part of my enforced License Fee goes into paying for the coverage. :mad:

Unwell_Raptor
31st Mar 2004, 05:51
"Was anyone else bored enough to watch it?"

Yup. I think that it was about 9 million in the UK who chose to watch it.

And AC, Oxbridge can't be all that posh if Send Clowns went there, can it?

paulc
31st Mar 2004, 06:08
Judging by the swearing coming from the Cox of both boats neither uni comes out of it looking very good.

teeteringhead
31st Mar 2004, 06:57
I'm always surprised that the same two teams get into the final every year..........:rolleyes:

topcat450
31st Mar 2004, 07:12
I was more than a little suspicious when looking at the 'unbiased' umpire....who just happened to be wearing a Cambridge cap...and who..ermm..ruled against Oxford.

Maybe we can get Alex Ferguson to ref the next Man U match...surely he'd be just as unbiased. :rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
31st Mar 2004, 07:17
Perhaps the umpire should really be Jeremy Paxman.

Come on.. come on

Dimensional
31st Mar 2004, 08:00
Spikes on the front have been tried. And binned.

Send Clowns, you red scum you.

Oxford were off their line, and were penalised as such. ;) In actual fact, there's a team of (I think) eight, who advise the umpire -- four from each Uni.

Windy Militant
31st Mar 2004, 08:11
Huh they're just a bunch of vest wearing jessies! Need Eight of them to row a tiddly little skiff like that.

They ought to try the real thing Welsh Longboat Racing (http://www.waleslongboatleaguecymru.org.uk/index.html)
;) ;) :p

foghorn
31st Mar 2004, 08:21
Send Clowns, I'd rather shit in my pants than row for Maggies :}

The best crew won, of course. It was simple, the umpire was warning that dark blue lot about encroaching on Cambridge at exactly the same time that the dark blue bow man was knocked out of his seat by a Cambridge blade. He didn't have any choice but to disallow the protests from the crew from that industrial city on the Thames, as to do otherwise would be blatantly inconsistent.

spam
31st Mar 2004, 08:33
419 I think that should be blades on the end of the blades.

Go the dark blues.

Ozzy
31st Mar 2004, 11:18
Stick high power marine engines on the back and let's see a real race:E

Ozzy

X-QUORK
31st Mar 2004, 11:22
Foghorn you bounder !! You've clearly never been to Oxford....an industrial city on the Thames? Actually I think you'll find its a rather lovely little city situated on the pretty banks of the Isis.

Now, I won't be stooping so low as to describe the other seat of learning as an average East Anglian town somewhere near the A14...oh no, not me.;)

tony draper
31st Mar 2004, 11:38
Twould be much more interesting if they supplied each oarsman with a good sharp Cutlass,and allowed them to hack at each other in cases like this.
:rolleyes:

Coconuts
31st Mar 2004, 11:52
Did a bit of rowing for UCD (University College Dublin), bl**dy great sport :ok:

Coco

Ric Capucho
31st Mar 2004, 12:06
Are the boat teams still posh? Can't imagine them letting any comprehensive school riff-raff with a scholarship on their team...

Cox (through the megaphone): "Jeremy? Jeremy? Don't suppose you could row a tad harder, could you dear chap?"

Jeremy: "One is already (grunt) rowing like a (gasp) slave already, (haaaahhh) Cox".

Cox: "Ahh, thought so, oops, forget I said anything... cheerio!"

Jeremy: "Don't mention (hahh) it".

Cox: "Ahhh, Kev...er.... Kevin... I don't suppose you could, er, pull a bit faster, dear..."

Kevin: "You stupid fcuking basturd! (grunt) I'm rowing like a (cough cough) fcuker here..."

Cox: "Er."

Kevin: "You just sit (ugh) there like (phooo) a cnut, and (haaahh) we'll do the hard (cough) fcuking work. Ok?"

(pause)

Cox: "Ahh, sorry... did we meet at Eton, perchance? No?"

Ric

Boromir
31st Mar 2004, 14:00
Is it true that the person presenting the trophies, has to kiss the cox of the winning team?
:yuk:

DishMan
31st Mar 2004, 14:05
Only Boat Racing I've ever indulged in was after a rugby match and involved eight guys and eight pints of beer. :E :ok:

Anthony Carn
31st Mar 2004, 14:35
Is it true that the person presenting the trophies, has to kiss the cox of the winning team?
I really hope you've got the spelling correct there, Boromir ! :uhoh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
31st Mar 2004, 14:56
One's Pater has the dubious honuour of havng been stroke for Oxford the year they sank c. 1950...not his finest sporting achievement however went on thrash the cads from Cambridge in later years.

The Sark to Jersey - now there's a rowing race! No sliding seats in an ocean going coxed four just sliding bums. All that salty water....Couldn't sit down for a week or so after.:ugh:

Taildragger55
31st Mar 2004, 15:02
just sliding bums. ....Couldn't sit down for a week or so after.

I can see a certain Mr, Draper nodding, his wildest conjectures confirmed.

Send Clowns
31st Mar 2004, 15:05
Me too Dishman, although teh 8 were pilots rather than rugby players.

Dimension, foghorn, you dodn't go to the place next-door, did you, to have such vitriol for the better college ;) ? If so, foghorn, that is about what can be expected of you :} Personally I would not be dumb enough to get up to row at 6 in the morning, so managed 3 years with only one trip on the river with rowlocks (that's rowlocks! I paddled often, much more civilized) my connection to Lady Margaret's stopped at drinking with my good friend, the cox of the 3rd boat.

Wasn't a commentator once heard to say "That's nice - the wife of the Oxford president is kissing the cox of the Cambridge team"?

tony draper
31st Mar 2004, 15:33
Interestingly twas a Tyneside oarsman of great fame, one Harry Clasper who invented the sliding seat, rowing was a exceedingly popular spectator sport on Tyneside in the 1800,much in the way football is now.
The great Tyneside oarsmen like Clasper and Renfrew beat all comers at the time including those Oxbridge fops.
Renfrew was so good those dastardly Canadians poisoned him lest he humiliate their oarsman more than he already had, he died at his oar.

:(

foghorn
31st Mar 2004, 16:06
Send Clowns,

Just poking the nest, the missus went to Downing and they were always battling it out with your lot for head of the river, I picked up that little saying from them :} . 1st and 3rd weren't even in the picture, they were crap.

Personally, I rowed for Selwyn, we were at no risk of being head of the river (I did row in a 2nd VIII that overbumped Maggie 3rd once - it was fun).

Six o'clock starts. Ouch. I remember them. Especially after a 3am finish at cindys the night before. Rowlocks? You mean gates, surely?

nostalgic foggy.

Dimensional
31st Mar 2004, 16:57
I don't have vitriol for the better college, I have vitriol for the jumped up little upstart next door. :)

Anyway, I'm still here, and free to gloat slightly at LMBC's performance in the Lents.

Anthony Carn
31st Mar 2004, 18:38
Well, tut tut, I dunno, it's all becoming obvious.

Kissing cox's, sliding bums, problems with oars, stroking for Oxford, unable to sit down for a week and they all pull together.

What's more, not a punt in sight.

:rolleyes:

foghorn
31st Mar 2004, 21:57
Send Clowns, Dimension, I shall mention the name Peterhouse, now there's a college upon which we can all heap vitriol without offending anyone...

Or even Robinson :yuk:

eko4me
1st Apr 2004, 01:46
Having piloted these beasts upon the Isis during ones student days, it brought it all back watching this latest duel courtesy of the internet. Ah the memories! 2nd VIII max but still great fun. I had the honour and pleasure once coxing the 1st VIII (near to the TOtR) during a practice session – it was like driving sports car – a well oiled machine that left bruises on my back.

06h00 starts – I remember them well. The marathon started with breaking into the University Parks by scaling the 10ft spiked, cast iron railings of the park gates. Everyone leading up to the races practiced early but the park didn’t open until 08h00 so all risked life, limb and reproductive potential to participate in this madness – tradition, you cant beat it!

As to this 150th meet. Well done Fen Poly is all I can say! I think the Oxford cox was cocky [sic], stole water and paid the price. The young Cambridge cox steered a good race against an aggressive opponent and led his team to a well deserved victory.

BTW Spam, shouldn’t it be blades on the spoons on the end of the blades?

Floreat Aula!