PDA

View Full Version : Contacts in the pointy end?

Aerofoil
30th Mar 2004, 18:14
Hi

I was just wondering if any of you guys who wear contact lenses in the cockpit ever have much of a problem of them irritating you due to drying out?
Mine tend to dry out when i go from outside to inside but they affect me the most when i am driving with the heaters on. So it made me wonder about flying. They dont really bother me when flying light aircraft but since i havent got my ATPL yet i have no experience of wearing them at the pointy end of a pressurised aircraft.

If you do get this problem then how do you combat it?

Thanks in advance

Dave :ok:

MidnightSpecial
31st Mar 2004, 03:28
Hi, I wear hard contact lenses. They don't dry out like the soft contact lenses do. I used to wear those and carried eye drops. So did other pilots I knew that wore soft contact lenses.

Good luck,

MS

Irish_Roll
31st Mar 2004, 12:12
Aerofoil.

I've just got my first job and start training for the 738 this summer. I wear soft monthly lenses which I am finding to dry up in airconditioned environments (a desk job in an office in london).

I have had no problems in light aircraft but is there a consensus that hard lenses are the fav to wear in the pressured environment.

A question to all, is do people who switched from soft to hard lenses prefer them because of comfort or the cost?

Many thanks,

IR