PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Thinking

Transition Layer
18th Nov 2001, 03:42
These may have been posted before, but here goes. A couple to get you started...

(1) A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives he surgeon says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

(2) A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and a balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its lights off too, but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?

Cheers,
TL

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 03:48
surgeon is boys mother
man walks down the street in daylight
got a book somewhere with some good ones
to late tonight to go looking for it. ;)

A explorer is captured by a tribe that worships logic,
They say to him, make a statement
if its the truth we will hang you,
if it is a lie we will shoot you.
the man makes his statement, the tribe goes into a huddle and they decide they have to let him go.
What did he say?.

Anothe one I remember
the logic tribe capure another explorer,
they throw him into a arena with two doors
a red one and a green one, beside each door stands a man.
The high priest says to the explorer,
One of those doors leads to freedom
the other to shark infested boiling lava,
You must go thru one of these doors,
You may ask one of those men one question,
one of them will always tell the truth,
the other will always lie, but I will not tell you which is the liar or which is the truth sayer.
The man walks up to one of the men asks his question, opens one of the doors and walks to freedom.
What did he ask?.

:D

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

LAN
18th Nov 2001, 05:20
Draper'isms on logic - and at this hour! :eek: :D :eek: Well, this cannot go unnoticed...

1) "I am a liar"

2) "If I asked the bloke guarding the other door which door leads to freedom, what would he say"?

What would you say if you check in and find the captain is dressed up in high heels, a skirt and is wearing make-up? (same old, same old - I know, but right now its 1 hr. bloody later for me than it is for Mr. Draper :D)

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Ivan the Horrible ]

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 05:30
hmm not sure about the first one he could be telling the truth, he is a liar, they could then hang him.
The answer I have is, he says "I will be shot"
They can't shoot him because that would make his statemen the truth and therfore he should be hung, they can't hang him because that would make his statement a lie, and they would have to shoot him.
eerrr I think.
The second one is righ, 5 points. ;)

doesn't matter which man you ask you go thru the opposit door, if he say the green one you go thru the red and visa versa.
If the man you picked is the liar, he will lie and tell you the wrong door, if he is the one that tells the truth, he will tell you door the other man chooses will be the wrong one., err I think.

Well it could be a lady Captain, so Good Morning Maam.

LAN
18th Nov 2001, 05:38
But Mr. Draper!!! How would you falsify or verify the first statement???

If he tells the truth, he is lying...
If he is lying, he tells the truth...

This is too bloody deep for this hour of day - we should get lives, y'know?

:p Ivan :p

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 05:40
His statement could be true he is a liar, he is not lying about that, they could hang him.
with the statement I will be shot, there is no confusion, it is the following actions of the tribesmen that will make his statement true or false, and therein lies the trick,, ,Whatever they choose they are wrong.
remember they are all exe lawyers these tribesmen... err I think... ;)

Concure, off to shakey ned.
good night all... :)

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 06:02
Let you into a secret, Draper was once caught out by a dilly asked by my sister in law, now you may laugh and cluck at Draper stupidity but you would be amazed at the number of people you can catch out with this one, especialy is the person you ask is a bit preocupied and its asked in a casual way. She said innocently,
"Tony"?
"hmmm yes", answers Draper a bit preoccupied,
"what did they call that ship in that film Mutiny On The Bounty"?
"Hmmm",Draper puts down paper work and his brows become furrowed, eerrrr, emmm, jeeez now can't bloody think of it, let me see hmmmm, errr, at this point sister in law begins to laugh, Draper was well and truly got,boy was Draper mad..
;)

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 07:16
Any way, there's this Irish bricky standing in a bar with the English forman from the building site in England, having a pint.
The forman says
"Here's a riddle for you Paddy,Brothers and sisters I have none, but that man there is my fathers son"
"Begorra, right, errr, you got me dair sur oi have no idea"
"There paddy my reflection in the mirror, its me paddy, I'm me fathers son" says the foreman pointing at the mirror".
"Oh right sore dats a good one allright"
So Paddy goes home to Ballygobackwards, and he's standing at the bar with his mate Shamus, he says,
"Here's a riddle for you Shamus,"brothers and sister I have none but dat man dair is my fathers son"
Shamus thinks for a minute, he points at the mirror and says,
"Is it yourself Patrick"
"No" says Paddy
"Its dat fokin foreman on the site in England, got you dair shamus". ;)

Axerock
18th Nov 2001, 11:47
Herr Draper

The problem

=====================
the logic tribe capure another explorer,
they throw him into a arena with two doors
a red one and a green one, beside each door stands a man.
The high priest says to the explorer,
One of those doors leads to freedom
the other to shark infested boiling lava,
You must go thru one of these doors,
You may ask one of those men one question,
one of them will always tell the truth,
the other will always lie, but I will not tell you which is the liar or which is the truth sayer.
The man walks up to one of the men asks his question, opens one of the doors and walks to freedom.
What did he ask?.
======================

The answer (with reference to Terry Pratchett "Lords and Ladies").

...he goes up to the smallest guard and says, "Tell me which is the door to freedom if you don't want to see the colour of your kidneys and incidentally I'm walking through it behind you, so if you're trying for the Mr Clever Award just remember who's going through first".....

Remember there is nothing that violence and mayhem cannot solve!!

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Axerock ]

sirwa69
18th Nov 2001, 15:49
Don't like lateral thinking.
It gives me a sore side ;)

LAN
18th Nov 2001, 19:46
Draper is right of course (but what engineer isn't??? :p) - so I'll settle for 5 points! :D

Anyway, an aussi ventriloquist (spelling?) is walking along an irish countryroad. He approaches a small farm, where a paddy is sitting on the porch with his dog. The aussie, being a bit of a lose end, walks up to the farmer and says :

"G'day, mate. Mind iffa talk a bit with ya dog"?

"The dog can't talk, you stupid aussi", the farmer says.

"G'day dog. How are ya"? And to the farmers suprise, the dog answers "Oh, fine, thanks for asking." The farmer is flabbergasted! The ventriloquist then asks the dog "Ya master treat ya well"?. And the dog, leaving the farmer even more suprised, answers "Well, just fine! I cannot complain - he pats my head, scratches me behind the ears, feeds me lots of good food, allows me to run all over the farm and at the end of the day lets me sleep in front of the warm stove".

The ventriloquist looks smugly at the farmer and asks "Mind if I have a chat with ya horse"? The farmer is now less sure of himself : "Well, sure, but...eeeer...the horse doesn't talk...either...I...eeer...think"? he says. So the ventriloquist walks over to the horse and asks "G'day horse! How are ya doin'"? The horse answers "Oh, just splendid! I am also treated very well here - my master rides me a couple of times a week, grooms me every day, I have a large shed to stand in, and he feeds me all the hay I can eat".

Now the farmer is convinced - there is indeed more to this world than meets the eye! So, the ventriloquist asks him : "Now, could I also have a chat with ya sheep"?

What, Mr. Draper, does the farmer say to this request???

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 20:11
Heh heh Mr Ivan Draper has heard that one, only it involved a Aussy ventriloquist and a Kiwi sheep farmer, so I will leave it for someone else.

Old Abdul is dying and he has to leave all his wealth to only one of his wastrel twin sons, all they care about are their racing Camels and are constantly fighting over who's Camel is the fastest. He calls his two sons to his tent and tells them,
I will leave all my money to one of you, I am sick of you bragging about your Camels,
so you must race from here to Damascus and back ,that should take two days,if you take longer than two days neither of you shall inherit.
The lads rush out of the tent and leap on to their prize Camels, stop!, he shouts, there is one more thing, the last Camel back shall be the winner,not the first, but you cannot dawdle or both will lose.
what do the lads do.?

traveler
18th Nov 2001, 21:01
No idea if I am lateral, but here are some ideas,

You kill the other camel. You come back first but also last. Old man said last camel wins.
Probably not political correct over there. And second camel doesn't come back at all making neither a winner, I suppose.

You jump on brothers camel and win the race, your camel comes last and wins ?

You make it a nice two day trip with your brother and split the difference ?

Or more with current events, you kill dad, take money and then race to Damascus.

But more likely they are still sitting there trying to figure it out a few days later.

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 22:01
Bit of a shotgun answer there Mr T, you did get it right though, the lads swop Camels. ;)

Grainger
18th Nov 2001, 22:02
Ivan - I guess the farmer pays the sheep 50 quid to keep quiet !

And traveler - yup, gotta be swap camels.

OK, so you're on a small island which has only one small town. You need a haircut and you find that there are just two barbers in town.

You go to the first shop, which is immaculate. Barber greets you with perfect smile, neat, clean uniform, perfectly groomed. The shop and all the equipment are spotless.

The second place is a dive - barber smells of beer and urine, has 3 day's stubble and a beer gut the size of the Hindenburg. The shop is filthy. Let's face it, the guy is an unkempt disgusting wretch.

So which of the two do you go to for a haircut, and why ?

tony draper
18th Nov 2001, 22:25
Hmm a variation on another one I've heard Mr G, so I will leave the glory for someone else. :rolleyes:

Jeez Draper, what the hells the matter with you these days.
Ssshh you fool , New Years Honours List, need I say more. ;)

LAN
19th Nov 2001, 00:10
Grainger, you Irish? :D ;) :D

An Irish farmer would probably not spend 50 quid, so blaming the sheep for being a liar would probably do just fine :p

And the arab father said : "The last CAMEL shall be the winner..." - so both brothers would be in the crapper - and you would end up with a very wealthy camel :D

...or something along those lines...

And now : what barber would Grainger choose for the haircut? - I am clueless (enjoy it, boys, it doesn't happen all that often! :D )

Ivan

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Ivan the Horrible ]

Grainger
19th Nov 2001, 00:34
ItH:

Think you know which barber - the question is why ????

I'll leave you to stew on that a bit longer - and no, that's not another Irish reference !!!

Danged right though - "that sheep's a bl**dy liar !" is the correct response now I think of it....

On a similar vein though, once met a Welsh guy in a pub. He'd had a few too many and was feeling sorry for himself so I got the whole life story.

"All my life I've lived in the same village", he says....

"In my time I must have helped build twenty houses, but do they call me Jones the Builder ? Do they heck.... "

"I built dozens of cabinets, tables and wardrobes for everyone but do they call me Jones the Joiner ? No, they don't"

"I've made boats for all my friends but do they call me Jones the Boat ???? No !"

"All it takes is one bl**dy sheep..."

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 01:43
Well as we seem to be the only ones playing
The Barber his shop and his instruments were spotless because no bugg*r went there for a haircut, he was obviously a lousy barber.
The tother bugg*r obviously had plenty of customers(hair on floor).

A policeman was walking past a house. He heard somone cry, "Don't shoot me, John! Don't shoot!" There was one gunshot. The policeman entered the house and saw a lawyer, priest, and an engineer, gathered around a dead body. The priest was immediately arrested.
Why?.

Gash Handlin
19th Nov 2001, 01:50
You'd go to the scruffy barber coz everybody else in the town obviously goes there and avoids the other guy like the plague, A further clue would have been if the spotless barber also had immaculate hair, he'd have to go to the other barber to get it cut :D

ah buggr, beaten to it by Sir Draper KCB (I didnt let the cat out of the bag did I) :D

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: Gash Handlin ]

evenflow
19th Nov 2001, 02:06
because the lawer is a woman and the engineer is a woman....therefore not called john

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 02:06
Hmm, never thought of that, good one Mr Gecko.

Greed is good. ;)

What the hell?, a post just disapeared in front of my eyes, strange forces are at work here.
:eek:

Grainger
19th Nov 2001, 13:51
Gash, drapes - correct !

The two barbers have to go to each other to get their own hair cut.

OK - you are organising a tennis tournament.

It's a knockout competition. Winners from the first round go through, losers go home and so on.

If there is an odd number of players left in any one round, then one player is selected at random and is given a bye to the subsequent round.

A total of 173 players enter, so in the first round there are 86 games and one player is given a bye...

Without doing any calculations, what is the total number of games played in the entire tournament ?

Far canal
19th Nov 2001, 14:55
Grainger,

Shouldn't that be Matches?

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 15:19
Someone already posted that someone called Gecko Mr,S H, and I think tha is the right answer, thats the reason for my meaningless post above, next time I looked it had dissapeared ,very strange. :eek:

Bloody hell!, S H's post has disapeared now,is this some plot to drive Draper insane ,or what.

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

SilentHandover
19th Nov 2001, 15:28
My post got deleted as I had only read the 1st page of this thread and thought I was the first to reply about the barbers so I removed the answer as it was here all along.

and 172 as there has to be a game to send all bar the winner home.

Chap lives on the 89th floor of a tower block, every morning he goes out of his flat, goes down in the lift and goes to work. At the end of the day he goes back to his tower block and walks up the stairs to his 89th floor flat. WHY? :D

Grainger
19th Nov 2001, 15:39
Drive draper insane ? :confused:

And SH, 172 is correct - game/match pedantry notwithstanding

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

tony draper
19th Nov 2001, 15:55
The guy in the lift is a dwarf, he cannot reach the 89th button going up, but he can reach the ground floor button going down.
Thats the trouble, when you get to Draper age you have heard most of these, so its more a excersize in memmory rather than Lateral thinking.
Found a whole website with raft of this type of prob, that don't seem right either ,it also has all the answers. ;)

[ 19 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

con-pilot
20th Nov 2001, 00:48
Ok, try this one, plain arithmetic and logic, as in simple addition.

A man’s son is in college and sends an e-mail back home asking for additional funds. The father, being tired of being asked for money sends the following e-mail back. (I actually had this question on a mid-term final in college)

Dear Son; Solve this and I will send you the amount of money indicated by the solution of the question.

Send
+More
Money

Send + More = Money

Simple addition, no numerical values assigned to the letter such as A=1, B=2, etc.

How much money was the father going to send?

P.S. when I was in university it was a telegram, not an e-mail. No e-mail back then.
:confused: ;)

Grainger
20th Nov 2001, 13:34
CP:

Looks like the trick is to figure out where the carrys happen:

S E N D = 9 5 6 7
M O R E = 1 0 8 5

Gives M O N E Y = 1 0 6 5 2

+1085
=10652

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 13:44
A strange one.

A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her husband was murdered by her sister. The judge declares, "This is the strangest case I've ever seen. Though it's a cut-and-dried case and she is guilty, this woman cannot be punished."
Why?.

Grainger
20th Nov 2001, 14:17
? The woman and her sister are siamese twins :eek:

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

traveler
20th Nov 2001, 17:05
heh, heh.. :D
I thought she was already dead,
but I like your answer better.

Keep them rolling please, Mr Draper.

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 18:56
Anthony and Cleopatra are lying dead on the floor of a villa in Egypt. Nearby is a broken bowl. There is no mark on either of their bodies and they were not poisoned. How did they die?

Brit Abroad
20th Nov 2001, 19:40
Anthony & Cleopatra were goldfish and their bowl fell and smashed on the floor.

They suffocated.

The siamese twins one above - How does the fact that the 2 women are siamese twins kill the husband ?!!

con-pilot
20th Nov 2001, 20:05
Well done Grainger, you got it.

Once one deducts that M can only stand for the number 1, S has to be 8 or 9 and off you go.

:D :D :D

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: con-pilot ]

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 20:13
A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be

HugMonster
20th Nov 2001, 20:16
They had different fathers?

Titan Locked
20th Nov 2001, 20:58
Policeman walks into a room. He finds a man hanging, dead, with a noose around his neck. His feet are off the floor. The noose is attached to the ceiling. There are no windows in the room. The room is entirely empty apart from a pool of liquid below the mans feet. The policeman immediately attributes cause of death as suicide and closes the investigation. Why?

HugMonster
20th Nov 2001, 21:06
He had been standing on a block of ice.

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 21:12
The two lads are two of a set of triplets.

You chaps are to smart.

Either that, or you have found the same web site as Draper. :(

Not exactly a lateral one,

Why are manhole covers always round?.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

HugMonster
20th Nov 2001, 21:28
A very prosaic answer - so that there is the same pressure on the rim below all the way around. Were they square, or any other shape, the points furthest from the centre (the CofG) would take less weight that those points on the edge closest to the CofG.

Having gone through all that balls, there are some that are square... :confused: :rolleyes: So I don't know why I typed this... :D

Grainger
20th Nov 2001, 21:30
BA:

I guess the woman had incontrovertible proof that her sister did it 'cos they were both there and you can't punish one twin without punishing the other [innocent] twin.

Exactly how the husband was killed is irrelevant.

Grainger
20th Nov 2001, 21:33
Hugs:

I've even seen some pentagonal ones.

Probably makes us a bit of a sad act - manhole cover spotting :eek:

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 22:24
Thats true I've seen plenty of square pit covers.
Apparently a square cover can slip sideways down the hole it covers whereas a round one can't.

A round peg can seal a square hole.
explain how?.

Grainger
23rd Nov 2001, 01:14
Simple: Chop off a length equal to the diameter so you get a short cylinder, then shove it in sideways.

Ha ! and just when you thought you had us all 'stumped' :D

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 01:38
Right on Mr G,
Here's a nasty one for you.

Adults are holding children, waiting their turn. The children are handed (one at a time, usually) to a man, who holds them while a woman shoots them. If the child is crying, the man tries to stop the crying before the child is shot.

Grainger
23rd Nov 2001, 02:06
Vaccinations ?

Tetanus jab, that sort of thing ?

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 02:14
Nearly Mr G,will leave it for a while,there's a very logical explanation. ;)

Stoorie
23rd Nov 2001, 02:36
While they are shot with a camera :D

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 02:51
You got most of it Mr S ,Its Xmas the children are being presented to Santa Claus
and being photographed one at a time by the lady photographer.. ;)

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 03:41
Three switches outside a windowless room are connected to three light bulbs inside the room. How can you determine which switch is connected to which bulb if you may enter the room only once.

OzPax1
23rd Nov 2001, 04:17
Rite I got one! :D

You wake up in a walled(say 30ft high... :D) off rectangular area with no doors or obvious way out. The space is filled with waist height grass and there is a fire which streaches right acrooss the southern end of the rectangle! The aforementioned fire is moving North towards you, blown by the wind at a slow walking pace.

The Question is how do you stop yourself from being burnt to death!!! :D ;)

sanjosebaz
23rd Nov 2001, 10:06
Light bulbs - if you turn one on for a while, then off. Turn on the next switch and leave it on. Then go in the room. The "on" light is obvious, and one of the "off" lights will still be warm.

Grainger
23rd Nov 2001, 13:14
OZ;

You grab a piece of burning grass and go about 3/4 of the way up and set light to the grass ahead of you...

This burns northwards and you move into the scorched area (after it's cooled a bit :eek: ) before the first front reaches you from behind.

Grainger
24th Nov 2001, 00:46
[ You may need to draw a diagram for this one....]

OK, here's the setup: Four guys are buried up to their necks in the sand. Each is wearing a hat.

(the hat is conical but that's just a red herring - doesn't make any difference to the problem).

We'll call them Mr A, Mr B, Mr C and Mr D.

Mr A is wearing a black hat and is buried facing the wall.

Mr B is wearing a white hat and is facing the wall from the other side (i.e. A and B would be facing each other if there was no wall in the way.).

C is wearing a black hat and is buried directly behind B, again facing the wall.

D is wearing a white hat and is buried directly behind C, again facing the wall.

None of them can see the colour of their own hat.

A and B can see only the wall.

C can see B's hat and the wall.

D can see B's hat, C's hat and the wall.

They are told that there are two black hats and two white hats. They have one minute to guess the colour of their own hat and thus all four will be freed.

If they guess wrong, all four are shot.

If no-one guesses, all will be shot.

If anyone speaks other than to guess, all will be shot.

After a short delay, one of them speaks. He is absolutely certain of the colour of his hat.

Who speaks, and why ?

Sensible
24th Nov 2001, 01:12
Either I've had too much booze or everybody else has! Which is it????????????

Gash Handlin
24th Nov 2001, 01:36
Is it either A or B because the wall is made of mirrors and they can see their own hats?????

Grainger
24th Nov 2001, 02:43
OK so I was a bit p*ssed when I wrote it but there IS an answer.

GH: Can't be A or B because their situation is symmetrical.

:confused:

tony draper
24th Nov 2001, 02:45
Nope, that don't help Draper it's took him a hour to draw the bloody thing.
Hmmm symmetry. ;)
hmmm Draper musing aloud, D is the only one that can see a black hat and a white hat in front of him, but its not safe for him to assume the hat behind the wall is black, it could be black,it could be white white black black, Draper thinks perhaps Mr A is a red herring, hmmmm.

hmmm, Mr D cannot see Mr A behind wall he may assume Mr A is buried behind him???hmmm,
no that dosen't, D cannot assume symmetry.
no , still can't skull it out, bit like the number of socks from a draw problem?, think Draper think, ooya it hurts, it hurts.
:(

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

HugMonster
24th Nov 2001, 03:11
None of them can do it my process of elimination - IMHO it has to be that either D or C see something about B or A respectively that happens to them because of the colour of their hat - something to do with temperature, or light, or animals getting attracted to it or something like that which isn't happening to them...

tony draper
24th Nov 2001, 03:18
Even if they had been told that the hats are symetrical it still cannot be worked out ie white black white black is ok, but so is black black white white,
Hmmm. :confused:
But they were not told that anyway.
forget MR A, where does that get us?

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

tony draper
24th Nov 2001, 03:29
Just a minute Mr C cannot see behind himself he may assume that Mr D is behind the wall behind Mr A, he knows there are four of them.
Nope that still don't held

HugMonster
24th Nov 2001, 03:50
I've got it.

C speaks up. He speaks because D hasn't.

If D had seen two blacks, he'd have known he had a white. If D had seen two whites, he'd have known he had a black. In either case, he'd have said something.

But he hasn't spoken up, so C knows D doesn't have the answer, since he sees two different colour hats. So C knows his hat is a different colour from B's hat, therefore he knows he has a black hat.

tony draper
24th Nov 2001, 03:55
Of course, well sussed Mr Hug, good one that Mr G, Draper will admit he tried to cheat after trying to figure it out for the last two hours.
You will be pleased to know that it has brought another website to a complete stand still. ;) ;)
20 points to Hug Monster.

sanjosebaz
24th Nov 2001, 06:28
Well that one had me stumped - I even posted a ridiculous answer and deleted it almost immediately.

Back to the easy stuff - this one is often report to be true (actually urban legend):

Deep in the forest was found the body of a man who was wearing only swimming trunks, snorkel and facemask. The nearest lake was 8 miles away and the sea was 100 miles away. How had he died?

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

pigboat
24th Nov 2001, 09:42
He was deposited there by:
a..a waterbomber working a fire, after having been scooped up on a water pick up, or

b..a helicopter doing the same thing using a bailey bucket.

A deaf mute goes into a hardware store. He wants to buy a pencil sharpener, so he walks up to the clerk, sticks a finger in one ear and rotates his other hand around his other ear. The next customer is a blind man. How does he let the clerk know he wants a pair of scissors?

Dockjock
24th Nov 2001, 09:44
That one's based on the general public's ignorance as to the structure of water bombers...alas being pilots we know the intake ports are but shoebox-sized holes.

Anyhow, the diver has been picked up by a water bomber and dropped onto the fire site! :D

sanjosebaz
24th Nov 2001, 11:01
Well Pigboat; since he isn't mute, I suppose he could just ask for a pair of scissors! :D

OK then - one more of these silly things before bed:

Three men are dead in a barn.
They have all somehow killed each other, yet one is completely innocent. What's the scenario?

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

Grainger
24th Nov 2001, 12:02
Congrats Hugs - well done C is correct.

Now for the mind-mangler:

A and B were clearly ruled out as they had NO information.

C could see ONE hat

D could see TWO hats - including the one that was visible to C

so D had MORE information than C but was unable to answer - so how come C WAS able to answer ????

[Edited later]
Yeah, Hug's analysis was spot on.

The point I wanted to add was that although D has more information, he's unable to speak because he has to answer a different question to C.

Well, it bothered me when I first worked it out but perhaps I was just milking it.... :o

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: Grainger ]

Dockjock
24th Nov 2001, 19:54
Perhaps re-read Hug Monster's solution? :D

sanjosebaz
24th Nov 2001, 20:34
Yes _ I was tempted to say that! HM has indeed described the entire solution. I was wondering whether there was something more elegant, but the Hug's post says it all.

tony draper
24th Nov 2001, 21:09
This is called a lateral thinking wally test.

If a ton of coal costs $30 and a ton of coke costs $25, what will a ton of firewood come to?
Removing an appendix is called an appendectomy, removing tonsils is called a tonsillectomy. What is it called when they remove a growth from your head?
Why are U.S. soldiers forbidden to carry rifles any longer?
What three things that you can eat can never have for breakfast?
If a farmer raises wheat in dry weather, what does he raise in wet weather?
What would you call a person who did not have all his fingers on one hand?
Which is greater: six dozen dozen or half a dozen dozen?
What is the best way to get down from a camel?
How could a man be severely injured being hit by some tomatoes?
Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men?

SkidSolo
24th Nov 2001, 23:13
A couple of easy ones...

Telephone box, fishing rod propped up against it. Man inside dead and blood everywhere. How did he die? Its in a solitary location incidentally, no electrical pylons etc.

Policeman spots a bag and a body in the middle of the field. The person is dead but no foul play suspected? What happened?

Man listens to radio, goes upstairs, switches on the light goes back downstairs and kills himself.Why?

Lots of death and lightbulbs involved in lateral thinking don't you think? Thats my own query, don't answer that one!

sanjosebaz
25th Nov 2001, 00:12
Not wishing to spoil everyone's fun (though they still have to make a stab at my last effort - no doubt they are searching the web ;)), I'll just answer the first one: Telephone box, fishing rod propped up against it. Man inside dead and blood everywhere. How did he die? Its in a solitary location incidentally, no electrical pylons etc.This is the fisherman telling someone about his catch - in describing the size of his fish, he puts both arms through the glass of the phone box, severing some major vessels :eek:

sanjosebaz
25th Nov 2001, 00:23
OK Mr Draper - I'll have a stab at a few of your Wally questions (I may regret it though :)):
Why are U.S. soldiers forbidden to carry rifles any longer? Maybe they're long enough?
What three things that you can eat can never have for breakfast? Lunch, Tea and Dinner?
If a farmer raises wheat in dry weather, what does he raise in wet weather? Umbrella
What would you call a person who did not have all his fingers on one hand? Normal :D
What is the best way to get down from a camel? Down comes from a duck
Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men? There are more Chinese men ??

pigboat
25th Nov 2001, 01:41
'baz, that one was too easy! Try this.
It's the ninth inning. The pitcher delivers and the batter hits a deep fly ball. The outfielder starts to catch it, then deliberately lets it fall from his glove. Why? :D

Mr. D, a ton of coal would be two thousand pounds, and you can be seriously injured by flying tomatoes in Canada this time of the year. :D

tony draper
25th Nov 2001, 02:20
Thats that American cricket game like rounders aint it, dont know nuttin about that, sorry.heh heh ;)
I believe the tomatoes are canned,(daft that one)
The firewood one is ash, firewood comes to ash???, don't blame me, I didn't think them up. :)

FlyingV
25th Nov 2001, 02:43
Removing an appendix is called an appendectomy, removing tonsils is called a tonsillectomy. What is it called when they remove a growth from your head?

A haircut ?

nasa
25th Nov 2001, 05:58
SkidSolo..... Policeman spots a bag and a body in the middle of the field. The person is dead but no foul play suspected? What happened?.....Parachutist.....his/her chute failed to open :D

tony draper... Which is greater: six dozen dozen or half a dozen dozen?.....six dozen dozen = 864.....half a dozen dozen = 72 (I think)

Grainger
25th Nov 2001, 14:45
NASA / TD: Yeah, I guess six dozen dozen would be half a dozen dozen dozen ????

SS: The man is a lighthouse keeper and ... kills himself because he's been told some bad news over the radio, but first goes upstairs to switch the lighthouse on? ???

Grainger
25th Nov 2001, 14:53
OK - here's a seasonal one (well, almost).

Santa Claus has to give presents to three children. Anna is to get £10, Ben £15 and Clare £20.

He puts two five pound notes in one envelope, a fiver and a tenner in another, and two ten pound notes in the third envelope and seals them all up.

Santa unfortunately is a little bit p*ssed and manages to muddle the envelopes up before writing the names on them. He succeeds in writing the wrong name on each of the three envelopes.

When he sobers up, how can Santa figure out which envelope is which and get them all relabelled correctly, by opening just one envelope and looking at just one of the notes inside ?

HugMonster
25th Nov 2001, 15:06
Easy - when he knows the contents of one, he knows the contents of all three, since there is then only one way all three could be mislabelled.

He opens A and finds £20, then B must have £10 and C £15. If he finds £15, then B must have £10 and C £10.

You can't mislabel only one envelope. It must be two interchanged, or all three in a rotation pattern.

Grainger
25th Nov 2001, 15:08
Nearly HM - but don't forget he can only look at one note...

HugMonster
25th Nov 2001, 15:39
Okay - just as easy. (Sorry missed that bit).

He opens the envelope for B.

If he finds a fiver, it's A's envelope. If he finds a tenner, it's C's envelope. Then proceed as per my earlier post.

Grainger
25th Nov 2001, 20:18
Exactly
:cool:

Otis Spunkmeyer
25th Nov 2001, 22:01
A young millionaire decides it is time to get married, but he has a choice of three girlfriends. So he gives them £10,000 each and tells them to do what they want with it and he’ll see them in a month.

One puts the cash in a building society and makes a few quid
The second invests in the stock market and nearly doubles the money
The third blows it all on clothes

Which one did he marry?

HugMonster
25th Nov 2001, 22:35
The best-looking one who goes like a rabbit... :D

Grainger
25th Nov 2001, 23:56
I'd go for the building society chick 'cos she's obviously not obsessed with clothes and money like the other two.

tony draper
26th Nov 2001, 00:08
Hmmm Mebbee the young Millionaire runs a chain of ladies shops, the one that blew it all did so in his establishments, so he marries her.
I know I know, lousy reasoning.
Found another site with some snorters on it, but I don't think they can be classed exactly as lateral thinking, you are presented with a scene and have to explain how the the events came about.
Some very clever answers, but it strikes me that the scenes could be explained in other ways, so there is not just one answer?.
:(

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Otis Spunkmeyer
26th Nov 2001, 01:53
Yes indeed Hugmonster, or thereabouts anyway.

Correct answer:

The one with the biggest tits!