View Full Version : Emirates

Vibrant
30th Mar 2004, 15:53
Last October I submitted my pilot application (First Officer) and have just received an email saying that my application is on hold. I was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions.

1) Although the letter clearly says that being on hold does not guarantee a call for an interview, may I please ask what's the average time one has to wait if invited for one?

2) I presently have 7100hrs on the Boeing 737 with just over 2000hrs command time. I am well aware of the current problems re:- DEC. Is the accelerated programme for upgrade still in force or has it been abolished completely.

Thanks for all your help.

druckmefunk
30th Mar 2004, 16:49
The accelerated command system is still being used but you will need 8000 hrs before joining.

dmf

swashnob
31st Mar 2004, 10:50
Time from hold pool to interview between 6 to 16 months. If you're half happy where you are, I would't bother though.

Good luck.

Interconti
31st Mar 2004, 11:46
druckmefunk

You say the accelerated command scheme is still in use. I am just wondering what the ratio is between internal upgrades and direct entry captains.
In spite of their expansion I guess EK is doing upgrades at a high pace....? (Wishful thinking??)

Cheers

druckmefunk
31st Mar 2004, 12:54
Interconti

I wouldn't have a clue of the ratio, but I can say that (to the best of my knowledge) every F/O that is eligible for either accel or normal command is being upgraded. As I understand it, the percentage of DEC that are passing the recruiting is improving, but still not nearly as many as expected, so still enough commands for F/O's from within the company.

On the 777 it is a different story. There are no/few upgrades at the moment because we dont have any new aircraft arriving until next year. A few upgrades have been generated by Capt's transferring to the Bus because of the chronic shortage there, but I believe the upgrades are coming just after the 3 year mark at present and will probably be closer to 4 years by the time we ramp up again. Once the new a/c start arriving, i would expect to see DEC's on the 777 as well.

dmf

31st Mar 2004, 14:53
At least there is still some movement there and it's seems to be an okay stepping-stone if you're actually headed elsewhere! I must say; I agree with the the idea that if you're half-happy elsewhere...

:}

Vibrant
31st Mar 2004, 14:55
Guys thanks for your replies.

I just have to be patient and hope that I'm called for an interview. In the meantime I'll work on the 8000hrs needed for the 'fast track' command. Hopefully things won't change with regards to the conditions.

druckmefunk
31st Mar 2004, 16:10

I hear what you are saying, but I am not sure that I agree that EK is actually a stepping stone.

The only place that you are going to go from here is to another expat/contract job that has management under pressure to cut costs. No one leaves here to go to a union protected flag carrier.

Once you get here it will probably be for the long haul. As bad as things are here, with changing conditions, no payrises, no representation, no contract, there obviously isn't anything better on offer or else people would be leaving.

So my advice is if you are looking toward EK, look with a vision to being here for a long time. If that vision doesn't meet your requirements then don't come, because it is unlikely to get any better, and you are unlikely to find a better offer in the future.

Of course none of what I have just said is valid if the long awaited amd much vaunted industry upturn and acute pilot shortage actually materialises.

But I for one won't be holding my breath.

dmf

Cerberus
2nd Apr 2004, 10:27
DMF,

You are right that there are few upgrades at the moment but it has nothing to do with 777 deliveries rather than DECs. On the bus, there are 2 upgrade courses between Feb and June due to training availability! I wouldn't be certain that there are enough commands for all of the F/Os in the company and doubt the 4 year timeline will hold true. I hope I am wrong!

Cerberus