PDA

View Full Version : Is XP my mum?

PretoriaSillyperson
30th Mar 2004, 14:31
Fellow techies,

Why is it that the default settings on XP Pro will not allow me to change IRQs and partition the HDD from the Computer Management console? I'm the only user on the PC and so I'm the Administrator.

Any advice would be helpful because at the moment this is like having a steering wheel in my underpants (it's driving me nuts).

Yours aye,

PSP

fobotcso
30th Mar 2004, 15:57
I haven't read THIS (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000) this through. You can do that!. :O

But you should be able to do the partitioning provided that the partition you want to muck about with is not the active partition (obviously!) and that there is no Pagefile.sys on the volume. That's easy to sort out from the basic setup screens.

IRQ's? Dunno. You should be able to if you go about the right way. Can you tell us what you are trying to do and maybe we can spot the step(s) you are missing.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Mar 2004, 16:35
PretoriaSillyperson,

WinXP loves to configure its own IRQs, usually the only way to change them is to turn off Plug and Play OS in the BIOS and set the IRQs manually.

SB Live! is now a Legacy Device. It is one of the last devices made that needed a specific IRQ to function properly. With the latest Hardware, it does not matter IRQ it ends up on, just whether or not it is sharing an IRQ with another device.

Take Care,

Richard