PDA

View Full Version : Fly to london For R2000??

Kennel Keeper
30th Mar 2004, 05:38
From todays Argus Cape Town

South Africa's first low-cost international airline will be ready for take-off by the end of this year and will offer direct flights to London from Cape Town followed by flights from Durban soon afterwards.

The announcement was made on Monday at the Aviation Development Workshop for KwaZulu-Natal.
CIVAIR.com took five years to obtain an international air licence and now has approval to fly return flights to England, Greece and Spain.

The Cape Town-based company plans to launch its operations from Cape Town by year's end with three flights from the city a week, followed at a later stage with two flights from
Durban to Stanstead airport.

'The only companies making progress and growing are those that offer low fares'
"We have two Boeing 747s for the route, but aircraft we're using in Cape Town can't get off runways in Durban due to runway length problems, so we're looking at alternative aircraft."

"If this can't be arranged, we'll have to consider using a smaller plane and have a refuelling stop," said Andy Cluver, managing director for CIVAIR.

The company will operate on a low-cost basis and (with existing exchange rates) economy class fares are expected to start from under R2 000 to a maximum of R4 000 (on an early bookings/cheaper rates basis and excluding all meals and perks). Business class fares are expected to cost up to a maximum of R16 000 (including all meals and perks). Both fares are one-way and exclude airport tax.

According to the Airports Company South Africa, passenger numbers have been growing. A nine percent growth is expected by the end of this month, of which 98 percent will be domestic passengers.

Local domestic flyers Kulula.com and 1Time airlines say no-frills, low-fare airways are the latest trend.

"In South Africa there are 40 million people and of that number two million (about five percent) travel domestic every year. If we can grow this to about six percent or seven percent, we can reach a good market. And this is done through low costs.

"There's enough coming out of the local market to sustain a low-fare airline," said Gideon Norvick, commercial director for Kulula.com.

Low-fair airline 1Time was launched in January and the company says in its first four weeks of operating it averaged 90 percent of capacity.

Glen Orsmond, CEO of 1Time airlines said: "The world trend in the industry is low-fare airlines. The only companies making progress and growing are those that offer low fares and the formula for low fares is low costs," he said.

The airlines said that cutting costs through services like online booking, selling food and commodities on board, call
centres and other factors contribute greatly to lower fares.

From marginal helicopters to 747's. Are they also going to be maintained out on the tarmac from a hut at Cape Town International ??

PretoriaSillyperson
30th Mar 2004, 09:31
Well, R4000 with zero scran and booze isn't that great a deal - BA, SAA and Virgin normally come in at c. R5000 rtn CTN / JNB - LHR and a lot of boozing can happen over 11.5 hours so I just don't think this is a cheapo airline at all - just a different one. Besides, who won't pay an extra R1000 to avoid a refuel stop?

PSP

CaneRat
30th Mar 2004, 10:15
Hi, all.

Cannot believe that ol Clueless, oops, i mean Cluver is going to try run an airline when he cant even run his rotor wing operation properly.

4 grand, no booze, a fuel stop and an AMO based on some apron at FACT??? :sad:

The fact remains, you never know until you try!

Happy flying all.

CanRat

despatch
31st Mar 2004, 12:39
Do you have any idea when they wil recruit for cabincrew.I am working as cabin crew in england and desperate to relocate back to South Africa.Comair and SAA dont recruit so its no point applying to them while CE do recruit but with low wages.Info would be apreciated

Goldfish Jack
31st Mar 2004, 15:31
Not being one for wanting to run a new comapny down, but I would really suggest those that are going to use this new service think very carefully about it.

One must firstly look at the appalling track record of SA companies that start up and try and make a fortune in the aviation game. Far too many have come and gone and one has to wonder about this operation. I wish it good luck, but, as the defence lawyer would say, your honour the facts are:

Civair tried a service to Plett and Oudtshoorn from Cape Town and that only lasted a few weeks, using an ancient BE90 that could go nowhere in a fast time. Then they tried Joberg to Kimberly and that vanished down the big hole quicker than it started.

The third attempt at running a schedule involved a DC9 from CT to Durban, Joberg and Kruger International. That got nowhere further than a pipe dream on a web site. And that was also with a lot of rara ree and press publicity and it came to nowhere.

Now we have rumours of a wide-body operation to London from Cape Town and Durban. How in hell's name are you going to operate a classic from Durban to London non-stop?????

I dont want to detract from this operation, but one must really think realistically. With a someone dubious operation of helicopters around the waterfront................

Your honour, the defence rests.

I would far rather pay an extra grand, know I am going with a reputable operator (BA) and know I will have various options available to me if the flight is cancelled and I will be taken care of , etc etc etc etc.

Despatch, think carefully about coming here and applying for a job - it is not worth the risk unless you have a hell of a lot of money and something to tide you over, if this ops folds.

CaneRat
1st Apr 2004, 05:38
Despatch, i would have to agree with GoldfishJack. Listen to the words of his wisdon and steer away from this yet to be seeing airline.

We will keep our ears open for you..

Cheers All.

despatch
1st Apr 2004, 07:35
Thanx you guys,it does sounds a bit dodgy.My 1st airliner I worked for went into receivementship so i dont want to repet that even working for a whole month and getting almost nothing for it.I will wait untill comair recruits or will go buy black polish to apply for SAA:p

George Tower
1st Apr 2004, 08:35
Despatch

Have you thought about giving SA Airlink a try? Not sure whether they are recruiting cabin staff or not but they are contactable through their website - www.saairlink.co.za

clipboard
1st Apr 2004, 10:17
:D I'll bet you my last bottom dollar that this event wil not take place by the end of this year. Not this year, not next year, NEVER!

With no hangar at CTI, and a bit of a junkyard around the Eurocopter hangar at CTI, I bet the "boneyard" is really p1ssing off Gunter & the Eurocopter guys. Everything in the "boneyard is old and totally "fubar"-ed. This guy really believes in old stuff, as the tie he wore on television the other night when he once again made an announcement to South Africa about his pipe dream, was older that Noah! :yuk:

This is the Company that was thrown out of their rented hangar at CTI due to non payment & this is the company that was provisionally liquidated last year. Now he wants to fly to London???? Eesch! Just ask his staff what they think! The comments are indeed humorous.

For 5 years now this man has been talking about an international airline with zero results, and to this very day there are zip, zero results.

ts amazing what some people will do to stroke their ego's!

gate5
1st Apr 2004, 19:54
Can one purchase any of that magical weed from "the hut" at CTI that he's obviously been puffing again??
Is that also R2000 "one-way"??!!

Deanw
2nd Apr 2004, 08:10
Is that also R2000 "one-way"??!!

Only if you get caught :8 :}

CaneRat
15th Apr 2004, 12:44
Hi Deanw,

I heard that it's R 2000.00 return now, however you, "Bring your own Weed"

Cheers:zzz:

Shandy
15th Apr 2004, 14:21
Heard a good saying once: " You fly cheap, you die cheap!"

To be honest, it would be great if we got another airline up and running here (more jobs etc) but I think Mr C is just a bit out of his league. Picture this: arriving for your flight to London, only to be told the 747 is U/S, but they have got a replacement ready .... ZS-MUM?!?!

Can't knock the man for trying though.

Gasoline
24th Apr 2004, 14:58
I have also heard the rumour that Mr Civair will be starting his airline by retrenching half of his already puny staff - who will run the airline? where will the money for an airline be coming from?
As for the website?? - For a company to go public and not even have a proper website?!
Clipboard is right, not this year, not next year, not ever - will civair even exist by the end of the year?

Goldfish Jack
26th Apr 2004, 05:53
Has it ever existed???