PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter low timer jobs?

hotzenplotz
29th Mar 2004, 15:58
Hi

I'm trying to figure out the situation in South Africa.
I didn't find much helpful information on the south-africa forum, so I try to start something here.
Does anyone have information about:

-visa for europeans
-typical low timer jobs (about 200 hours R-22 & Schweizer 300)
-requirements for a flight instructor license
-companys to contact
-things 'ya need to know'
-situation for helicopter pilots in Cape Town
-salaries and living costs

That's a whole bunch of questions, but every bit of usefull information is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

B Sousa
29th Mar 2004, 17:30
Let me just jump on one of those questions. 200 hours TT in Robbies etc. means no workie for a while, period. Get an Instructors rating and things change until you build time. While you are doing so, get some turbine time, then when you get to between 1000-1500 hours and maybe a hundred or so hours in Turbines you will be in the market...
Even here in the states folks were getting jobs as low timers. Most of those companies have now ceased doing that as their Insurance rates went through the roof........

Dont give up. Your ahead of those who are just thinking about what you have accomplished so far.

hotzenplotz
29th Mar 2004, 18:25
Yes, I think you're right. I need to build hours as an instructor. As I can't afford a instructors license in europe, and see no chance to get a greencard for the US, I'm trying to figure out what other ways might be possible.
I learned that in Canada the flight instructor is no typical beginner job like in the US. That's why I asked about South Africa. Maybe Cape Town. Does anyone have experiences with the african market?

B Sousa
29th Mar 2004, 22:07
We can keep the thread going as Im sure their are some here who instruct and of course will recommend their school. I have some websites as to schools and suggest you contact them directly for rates. As always NO UPFRONT MONEY. Pay as you fly and you will be happier.
You can get the ads from some African Flying Magazines.
I hope it wont get edited as an advertisement at least untill you read the post. Its a source of Information. The three leading magazines in South Africa are:
African Pilot: www.africanpilot.co.za
World Airnews: www.airnews.co.za
SA Flyer: www.saflyermag.co.za

Contact them as to their advertisers for training... that should make PPrune happy as I am not advertising...
My Email is good if I can be of further assistance.

clipboard
31st Mar 2004, 09:54
Hotzenplotz, the helicopter market for low time pilots in SA, let alone Cape Town, is non existent. If you hold a FAA licence, you need to validate it by writing air law & taking a check ride with a Designated Examiner. The same applies to a JAR or JAA Licence.

If you want to instruct, you have to get a fresh SA Comm Licence by writing all the subjects, write the Instructors Exam, do the 20 hours patter and the test, coz the SACAA does not validate foreign instructors.

The main reason why low time pilots are not considered for jobs is due to insurance. The insurance companies profess their risks are big with a 2000 hour pilot, but becomes ten times bigger with a 200 hour pilot, so they will simply not cover low time pilots unless the company is prepared to pay huge loadings, which they are not.

Where did you train, and what licences do you hold now?

You can get all SACAA info on their site which is www.sacaa.co.za

Good luck.
Clippie

hotzenplotz
31st Mar 2004, 20:50
Thank you for taking your time writing to me.

Your link doesn't work for me at the moment. It could be because of my browser configuration, but I think I will get this fixed. So please dont think I'm too lazy to do my homework when I ask you questions that could be answerd by your link.

I have a german private and an american commercial (done in Los Angeles).

Do I understand you correct that most of the SA commercial pilots come from the military or foreign countrys at a high level of experience? Is instructing no typical beginner job like in the US because of insurance requirements? How many hours do you need to be marketable as CFI or commercial pilot?

Regards,

Hotzenplotz

Irish-Pilot27
31st Mar 2004, 23:41
Hi Hotzenplotz
I did my ppl and hours building in South Africa fixed wing.
Personally I would say avoid south africa like the plague.Its a ****ed up country.And living there can be pretty ****ty after a while.If you go and do tourist thing you will have a great time.But hang around for a while you get to see the real south africa.Being a european you will be in for a culture shock.It brings racism to another level.Their is no economy in the country compared to us in europe proffesionals get paid pathetic money.
If your dealing with flying schools dont give to much details about where your from because they may possibly adjust their prices according to the currency they think your earning.In other words your a tourist and they will help relieve you of your money very fast.You need to check other african countries like Botswana or Kenya or other peaceful countries because you find a lot of relief work available.Plus they tend to take low houred pilots because it aint glamourous work.Plus If you convert to a south african licence your stuck.If you travel to another country you have to convert again.

clipboard
1st Apr 2004, 10:30
Irish-Pilot 27, I have read your post with interest. You must let us know what you're smoking my man. You obviously have no frigging clue what goes on in SA. According to you, SA is a *****ed up country, racist and very sh1tty. Now why did you choose to come to SA. Was it because the Flying Schools here offered good rates and you could not afford to fly in your own country?

Hotzenplotz, don't take any notice of this boy.

What you should do is the following:

1. Get your J1 Visa thing done again.
2. Go back to the school in LA. (If my memory serves me correctly, there is an outfit there that will let you fly a Jetranger under supervision for US$80 an hour to build time flying the Traffic Reports)
3. Do your FAA CFI and get cracking on the instructor side of things. You're only going to get minimum wage plus maybe 5 or 10 Dollars an hour extra, but its worth it. Build Turbine time, instruct and get to about 500 hours or more. That way you will become more marketable.
4. If you can't go to LA due to other reasons, take the time whilst you're at home to study for your JAA/JAR Com licence. Its at least 6 month of ground school, but it may pay you in the end to do that.

Being a fresh Com pilot and not being able to fly, is very frustrating. Its a pity your country does not recognize the FAA licence. I wonder why? America is the largest Civil Aviation Country in the world, but for some reason, the EU does'nt trust the Yankees.

Don't give up boy, good coyboys don't cry, they just ride on.......

HedgePig
2nd Apr 2004, 15:05
Fear not! there is hope!

I understand there are currently 2 positions available at Starlite Aviation in Cape Town for 200 hr com heli pilots.

You basically need a com, 200 hrs, R44 and night rating and you're hired.

They can be reached at Thunder City at Cape Town International, or I would guess their number is in the book.

Interestingly, Starlite are always looking for young pilots, also for the Puma co-joes in Spain, and at their base in Greece.

Good luck.

Goldfish Jack
3rd Apr 2004, 23:08
You could always try SPORT helicopters!!

They will take on anyone, no matter what they do/have/want/etc etc.

You will need to have a conversion on a Sony Betacam and you can expect to spend your whole time filming the opposition taking off and landing at the Waterfront!

With an Elvis look a like in charge of them one is always kept guessing what he will do next, so you never know - he might employ a 200hr helicopter pilot and give you a conversion onto his Huey which he plans to start flying in 20..!!!