PDA

View Full Version : USB flash disks

andrewnash
29th Mar 2004, 11:32
Ive recently had my incredibly old 266mhz (windows 98) computer upgraded to have usb 2.0 on it. I have made this change, becuase I hoped that I would be able to use my USB flash drive on it. I did all the correct things (installed the driver, restarted the computer) but when I plugged it in the computer didnt do a thing.
I tried reinstalling the drivers etc. but sill couldnt get it to work. The flash disk says "richdrive" on the side but after many searches on the internet I have given up.

Any ideas?

AerBabe
29th Mar 2004, 12:13
Have you rebooted with the USB device plugged in?

Saab Dastard
29th Mar 2004, 15:06
andrewnash,

Could you be more specific about what the start and end states of the upgrade were and the processes used to get from 1 to the other?

Did your PC have a USB connector on it at all or did you add a card with USB ports? If it did, it will have been USB1.0, so no driver will have upgraded it to 2.0. A USB 2.0 device should still work, however, but only at 1.0 speed.

Presumably the drivers are for the device - if you can't find any reference to your richdrive, where did you get the drivers from?

Is this flashdrive a "memory stick" that plugs directly into the USB port?

Ihave an incredibly old Tosh portable that has a USB 1.0 port into which I have plugged USB 2.0 hard disks without problems, but there is insufficient power in the port to drive the disk, so it needs a power supply from PS2 mouse port.

When you say you plugged it in the computer didn't do anything - presumably you have checked to see if you have a new drive letter in My Computer? Do you need to format the disk before you use it? Do you have any help file / manual with the driver disk?

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Mar 2004, 17:07
andrewnash,

Are you sure the USB 2.0 Card is properly installed? If you have a USB Mouse or keyboard, try it on the USB 2.0 Card.

If you have USB 1.1 slots on the motherboard, try the USB Flash Drive on it to see if Win98 recognizes it or not.

Take Care,

Richard

izod tester
29th Mar 2004, 19:54
What version of Windows 98 are you using? The early version does not support USB - neither does Win NT4. You need to use Win 98SE, Win2k or XP. Linux kernel 2.4 and on supports USB Flash drives too.

That said, I have one flash drive that will not work with one of my PCs, but does work on 4 other desktops/laptops that I have tried it with. The recalcitrant PC, which supports both USB 1.1 and 2, does read 3 other flash drives perfectly!