PDA

View Full Version : Arithmetic books!

Kempus
28th Mar 2004, 23:24
Hi guys!

Its late and i cant get numbers out my head! Well cant get them to add/subtract/multiply/divide that well to be honest!

Can anyone recomend any good self study books for mental arithmetic?

Awake and confused! :ooh:

kempus

Kempus
29th Mar 2004, 10:17
Must be something out there who can give me some advice?

FlyingForFun
29th Mar 2004, 10:28
Kempus,

I think the only way of learning mental arithmetic is to do it. I don't know of any books. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but if there are, I don't know how useful they'd be.

Next time you're in the supermarket, add up the contents of your trolley before you get to the checkout, to the nearest pound. When you're on the motorway and you pass a sign telling you how far you have to go, work out how far you've come already, what speed you're doing, and how long it will take, at that speed, to get to where you're going. Check the TAFs every day and work out the cross-wind component on the runway at your local airfield, even if you're not flying. Basically, practice practice practice. The best thing is, it's free!

FFF
----------------

Jinkster
29th Mar 2004, 10:58
Have you tried the BBC Bitesize website www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

Yes it is aimed at GCSE ('O' Level) but its pretty good to refresh ones memory.

Best of luck

Jinkster

Kempus
29th Mar 2004, 11:38
hi guys!

Thanks for your replies. I do try to use my head as much as poss when doing everyday tasks. What i am looking for is a book to give me ways to make me more efficient like when sitting apptitude tests when it is multi choice answers in front of you. I can do the basic maths, just have a habbit of rounding these to the easiest number when trying long divison to get a ball park figure!

I did pass a the BA apptitude tests once, how, eh not sure of that!

kempus

Master Yoda
29th Mar 2004, 14:19
have u tried the maths and physics for pilots book from pilot warehouse? (the yellow book).

Sprawler
29th Mar 2004, 19:34
Get your hands on:
"Rapid Math Tricks and Tips"
30 Days to Number Power by Edward H Julius.

You should be able to get it on Amazon. Its excellent. Covers little quick tips and tricks for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing as well as lots of practice problems. However, like FFF says, the best way to get up to speed is to force yourself to use mental arithmetic whenever possible. Also, hide your calculator.

Best of luck