View Full Version : Sunday Express "Shocker"

caspertheghost
28th Mar 2004, 16:25
Can't find a link anywhere but the printed copy of the aforementioned womens weekly has a funny story on the front page about a Tonka crew (F3?) who "came a second away from wiping out the whole of Northwest England!" Apparently they bonged Sellafield and missed one of the coolant towers by 100 ft.
Strange how no other newspaper seems to have this story....

Pontius Navigator
28th Mar 2004, 16:59
Bollocks is a good description

Sellafield in NORTH WEST.

It was not North West England but SOUTH EAST SCOTLAND.

The crew did heroically steer the aircraft away from the nuclear power station. I know this is a cliche how the dying pilot steered away from the school playground. This time it is true. They landed safely on terra firma and dumped the jet in the og.

caspertheghost
28th Mar 2004, 17:21
I remember the crash you mean Pontious, but I think this is a different one. I haven't seen the article myself, just had it read to me over the phone by a friend who bought the paper and called me to give some FAA/RAF banter!
I think it's probably all sensationalist rubbish on a slow news day. Apparently the phrase "World Exclusive" was used on the cover.
As I said earlier, funny how no one else remembers the incident!

Just read the article; apparently it was a jet from Leeming travelling at 1000mph(!) and it passed 100' from one of the cooling towers at Sellafield. Apparently it happened last December.
The eyewitness must be very adept at gauging how fast aircraft are travelling just by using the naked eye!

Jimlad
28th Mar 2004, 18:38
The sunday express is probably the worst defence related rag out there. Its "journalist" uses this site and a few others as "sources" for his "exclusives".
I cant think of a single thing they have written that has proven accurate - according to them today we have a £10 billion budget black hole - blimyt first £1 - then £4.5 now £10 billion, any increase?

To the journo who lifts stories from this site - how about you go learn to do some real reporting?

None of the above
28th Mar 2004, 19:10
I wouldn't normally post here but the following may be of some interest, gentlemen.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/3576233.stm

Archimedes
28th Mar 2004, 19:35
So we have a 'Sunday Express Journo Talks Bolleaux Shocka!' scenario.

Apart from the fact that it's no shock at all.

Arbie
28th Mar 2004, 22:45
Having read the offending article, it seems to me that it was full of idle conjecture and short on facts - like the stunning revelation that the jet "could have" been from Leeming. Amazing what these journalists can uncover from their thorough investigations! Did they let the work experience kid write the front page this week?! Just one more reason not to read the Express, as if we didn't have enough!

VP8
29th Mar 2004, 02:49
Didn't it state they were doing 1000mph or did I misread it as not got copy here at the puzzle palace called work to verify...

VEEPS

Antelope
29th Mar 2004, 20:37
It did indeed say 1000mph.

Ralf Wiggum
31st Mar 2004, 16:57
Jimlad,

Who's talking balleaux on this site?

Its "journalist" uses this site and a few others as "sources" for his "exclusives". I cant think of a single thing they have written that has proven accurate.

Does that mean everything on this forum is inaccurate?

:ok: :D

Jimlad
31st Mar 2004, 17:10
"Does that mean everything on this forum is inaccurate?"

Not at all, but if I were a journalist writing stories for the media then I would make sure I
a) had more than one source
b) Made sure said source wasnt an anonymous website with no way of proving any allegations made
c) Wouldnt quote said anonymous website for fear of ridicule by journalistic types.