PDA

View Full Version : Skin Issues

joesimon
28th Mar 2004, 14:26
To quote my previous post in another forum:

"Im 17 and at college and recently have found myself with really low confidence in myself. Not so much low confidence in my abilities and stuff, i know i can do things, and do some of them well, but on a more social level.

Over the last year or so i have developed acne, not really severe, but bad enough, which ive been told has been brought on by my age. However hardly anyone else suffers from it, at least not anymore, and i find myself in a very small minority.

Im an alright person (he says modestly), i aint no saddo thas for sure, im just an average kinda guy, but this really knocks my confidence on nights out and when walking through a crowded common room at college.

Everyones prolly way ahead of me in reaching the fact of the women, which lets face it (excuse the pun), hardly find the thing one of the pleasures in life. I know i'll grow out of it, as did everyone else, but do people notice it as much as i think they do? Or is it just me thinking that as i see it every time i glimpse a reflection?"

Im sure others have experienced the same or know people who have, so does anyone have any advice? Ive tried numerous medications, tablets and cream etc from my GP and im on an 8 month (yes thats right, 8 months) waiting list to see a dermatologist who no doubt will tell me stuff i already know. It'd cost over a grand to go private which isn't really worth it, so anyone have any suggestions?

Ta, Regards,

Bealzebub
28th Mar 2004, 17:21
Joe,

This is so very normal that you have nothing to worry about. Most people experience acne to a greater or lesser degree. It usually occurs anywhere from early teens to mid twenties. It is one of natures little cruelties that just as you are at the point of wanting to attract other people, your skin decides to become your enemy. It has happened to nearly all of us at some point. In fact any blemish tends to look ten times worse to the sufferer than to to anybody else. That is something that will always be true no matter how old you get.

If it is any consolation, everybody you meet will have their own imperfections that are of far greater concern to themselves. You will probably not even be aware of the fact. Of course it will get better naturally and as you know there are many "over the counter" medications that might assist even though they will not cure.

If you really need to see a dermatologist early then I doubt it would really cost £1000. Most private consultations can be arranged for around £150 - £200 per hour. Ring your nearest BUPA hospital and ask if they can give you a fixed price appointment. I am sure as a student money is tight, and I wouldn't go down this road unless you feel it is important enough to you.

Despite the advice given above which I suspect is from another teenager, I would definetaly not make any claims to depression in order to get an early appointment. If you are seeking an aviation career this would not be something you would want to have on your clinical records. I am sure you know that of course.

Anyway don't lose your confidence you are only going through a stage in your life that we have all been through and all felt the same as you on occaisions. They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am sure that is true but never when the beholder is looking in a mirror !;)

Best wishes.

Jinkster
28th Mar 2004, 21:32
Use Wrights Coal Tar soap - comes in an orange packet from the supermarkets, I think its about £1 for two bars. Failing that use anything with T-tree oil in it. :ok:

tom24
28th Mar 2004, 22:09
One word my friend, Roaccutane.

See a dermatologist and ask for it. They'll prescribe it as a last resort cos its bloody expensive, but in my case it did miracles!!

Bealzebub
28th Mar 2004, 23:19
aerofoil,

joesimon didn't say he was depressed......You did !
He was saying he suffered a lack of confidence which he attributed to acne. In fact all the usual things most folk go through.

I am not a doctor but I suspect that "depression" and "clinical depression" are two very different conditions. I never said that mentioning such things to your doctor was proscibed. If anything is bothering you, then you should most certainly bring it to the attention of your doctor. I didn't say depression was a "nothing illness" whatever that means ? However depression can and often is used to describe a short term mood which is not an illness. I didn't tell "people to keep stum about it", I suggested not following your "advice" to suggest it as a way of moving up a list ?

Did you actually read what he wrote ? Where did he mention depression ? Or is that your diagnosis ? I am sorry you think I was "branding" you a teenager, I have a few of my own and the script sounded familiar. Are you one ?

Loose rivets
29th Mar 2004, 05:01
Firstly, don't keep touching it, this is vital.
Bathe face as often as possible, good and hot.
Change your diet; experiment with the changes...baked tud instead of chips.
If you can lay hands on decolorized iodine, use this on local inflamed areas. Failing this, use surgical spirit.

There is an antibiotic course that is used in severe cases, but it is given long term, and I gather there are many good reasons why you should avoid this if possible.

A confident and cheerful personality ( however contrived ) will hide this tedious teenage + problem more than anything else you can do.

gingernut
29th Mar 2004, 08:45
joesimon, keep in there, the 2nd line treatments available from the dermatologists are very good, and usually make a difference to most people with your complaint.

Sorry about the 8 month wait, we're trying to do something about that, in the mean time, carry on with the 1st line treatments from your GP, he or she has many treatment options, I'm not sure whether or not you have exhausted all the options.

Your condition is very treatable, but sometimes its a matter of time before finding the right treatment for you.

Private treatment is an option, but be wary that the 2nd line treatments available from the dernmatologists sometimes require ongoing "follow up" (blood tests etc).

Good luck.

PS couldn't find anything in the original post that suggested clinical depression Aero, he sounds more pi:mad: d off than anything, but of course your absolutely correct, seek help if feeling that bad.

Islander Jock
29th Mar 2004, 10:02
Agree wholheartedly with Tom24!

I suffered acne on my face as a teenager but right up until my 30s I had it in varying degrees of severity on my back.

For years I was using everything from the basic medicated soaps to countless lotions. All had varying degrees of effectiveness but nothing provided the long term solution. In the end, my army doctor sent me off to a dermatologist and he put me straight onto Roaccutane.

The side effects can be a bit unpleasant ie:
dry nasal passages (I needed a D9 to get up there on some days:yuk: ) In fact drying of all mucus membranes occurs with the medication.

Thinning and peeling of the skin to the point that any sport involving contact will normally result in minor scratches needing to be dressed.

A very increased sensitivity to UV will be an issue which in Australia is a real problem so use plenty of sunblock and keep covered.

The drying effect will also have a minor effect on the joints causing some stiffness there also.

End result for me though is that after suffering acne for over 20 years, it is totally gone. From memory the treatment program took about 6 months.

I can't believe an 8 month wait for a Dermatologist:eek:

joesimon
29th Mar 2004, 10:53
whoa lots of replies, where to start...

Ok, the £1000 is what it will cost to go on Roaccutane if i go private, that is for a 4 month course. If after 4 months i still need the stuff, yep you guessed it, another £1000. If i want it on the NHS then i have to wait 8 months to see a dermatologist who will then give me a cream and tell me to go away for 2 months and consider if i want to go on it or not - or so ive been told by my GP.

Currently im replacing soap with Aquacept in the shower/bath etc which is a surgical wash used before surgery in hospitals, and just using that. The medication given to me by my GP plays havoc with my stomach so i find it hard to keep anything down. Ive been on various medications for about 2 and a half years, changing every 4-6 months to something else, however nothing now seems to work.

Im now trying a weird herbal drink thing from a chinese freak shop. Im willing to give anything a go to be honest, but my god is it :yuk: !

My diet isn't too bad, drink alot of water and fresh orange juice, and have cut down on chocolate and dairy products. I eat fried food at most, once a week, the odd bacon sandwich etc, but always try cancel it out with water.

Ive also got facial sauna thingy, and also a sun lamp (which im ashamed to say, are mine), i did try them but kinda gave up when i saw no improvement. Has anyone used them at all?

Thanks for all your kind replies, much appreciated

topcat450
30th Mar 2004, 10:43
Ive also got facial sauna thingy, and also a sun lamp ....Has anyone used them at all?

Well although I've not, I would imagine they could work, my skin improves 110% when I go on hols, which I put down to the sun and higher temps, cold dry weather (ie a long time in the UK) plays havoc with my skin, but in summer it improves somewhat...2 weeks in somewhere like spain and I'll come back without a single mark on my face, so if these things are dishing out 'sunlight' then I'd deffo give them a go! (although be careful blah blah with UV rays etc etc).

Good luck :ok: