PDA

View Full Version : sniffy weepy things !!

gul dukat
23rd Jun 2001, 04:27
listen up chaps !! I have had a miserable sort of day !! What music do you recommend to

(a) plunge me further into despair?
(b) raise me from the depths ?

GO !!!!

Rollingthunder
23rd Jun 2001, 04:44
a) Hurtin music.
b) Elgar.

Iceolareanic
23rd Jun 2001, 04:48
a)Something that is described as 'pop music'
b)One of Tchaikovsky's dramatic overtures.

tony draper
23rd Jun 2001, 04:55
Something even more pop,Vangelis, the sound track from 1492, very stirring, cheer you up no end.
If you revel in misery, Pathetique.

Mac the Knife
23rd Jun 2001, 14:01
a) Anything by Leonard Cohen
b) Anything by Mozart

Flypuppy
23rd Jun 2001, 16:51
a) Hear'say/Allstars/SClub7/leonard Cohen/del amitri
b) Tubthumping by Chumbawumba/Song2 by Blur/Beautiful Day by U2/Jump by Van Halen

The b) selection is best listened to on a walkman with headphones inside a helmet while you are perched upon a motorbike on a nice sunny morning.

The a) selection is best listened to in a bar full of good looking women who will take pity upon your poor soul.

HugMonster
24th Jun 2001, 01:16
a) Gotta agree with Leonard Cohen - excellent music to commit suicide to.
b) Gilbert & Sullivan

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

fobotcso
24th Jun 2001, 01:58
(a) Samuel Barber - makes me feel suicidal on a good day!

(b) Wagner's Siegfried Idyll - that's a surprise! It's the sweetest, happiest love music you could wish for.

Eric
24th Jun 2001, 04:51
Gul, this is probably a bit late, 'cos if you've been listening to Cohen, you're probably already dead (even if you're still alive!) but how about
a) Tom Waits (what do you want? He's suicidal!)
b) Percy Grainger - Listen to Percy and you'll be taken to strange places that leave you smiling...can't be bad!
(He was an Aussie that arranged English folk tunes, so he wins on every count in Pprune!)

BlueDiamond
24th Jun 2001, 07:01
a) Enya - music to slash your wrists by.
b) Any early Beatles - simple and catchy.

Does this mean we're all going to face charges of assisting a suicide???

What you need, Gul, is a big, warm hug. Here - have one of mine.

:)

Slasher
24th Jun 2001, 08:56
I read the thread title and opened it thinking it was about pox-ridden dribbley d!cks!

(a) Anything by Melissa Ethridge

(b) Anything by Kevin Bloodey Wilson

Nil nos tremefacit
24th Jun 2001, 13:21
a. Dr Hook and the Medicine Show - depressing in an ironic sort of way.

b. Mozart, Gilbert & Sullivan, Offenbach.

Send Clowns
24th Jun 2001, 14:51
a) Leonard Cohen, The Smiths or The Chameleons.

b) The Ninth (Beethoven's "Choral" Symphony)

Actually, combine the elation and depression and read/watch "A Clockwork Orange" - a wonderful but depressing book/film about a sociopath obsessed by "Ludwig van" and "the glorious ninth" my droog.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

rightstuff
24th Jun 2001, 15:23
Try www.spinner.com (http://www.spinner.com) Excellent internet radio,no DJ,no commercials just a very wide choice of music.

Winston Smith
24th Jun 2001, 15:26
Yes, interesting book, "A Clockwork Orange". Loved the slang - luckily, I had a Russian dictionary at hand. The last chapter (in the unabridged version) is very discomforting, though.

Firestorm
24th Jun 2001, 15:42
a) Joy Division, 'Lifted' by the Lightouse Family, or 'Happy Atmosphere' by Russ Abbott.

b) ZZ Top, The Shirehorses or BT.

Send Clowns
24th Jun 2001, 18:29
Yes, on a par with your biography, Winston Smith. I was lucky enough to have learnt enough Russian from associates (student friends/girlfriend learning Russian, not Russian friends, if Naval intelligence are monitoring this :) ) to understand pretty much all the slang in A Clockwork Orange.

Both are books that Princess Tony should read!

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

NorthernSky
24th Jun 2001, 18:58
Either (a) or (b), pretty much anything by Nick Drake. Start with his album 'Bryter Layter'. Music of extreme beauty.

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.

GoldFishBowl
24th Jun 2001, 19:00
a) Radiohead/Enya/Moby
b) The Jam (esp. That's Entertainment)

Loki
24th Jun 2001, 20:17
To take you further downwards, try Gorecki and his third Symphony. To raise your spirits,almost any J S Bach, but I would recommend any of the last 4 Brandenburg Concerti.

I think this guy had God`s phone number.

[This message has been edited by Loki (edited 24 June 2001).]

CL604
24th Jun 2001, 21:51
a)Barry Manilow-----flashy and wimpy
b)Robbie Robertson-"Storyville" soothing and intellectual as is Stevie Nicks- "The other side of the mirror"

Winston Smith
24th Jun 2001, 22:31
a) Sibelius' 4th Symphony, the most sinister music ever created. He probably had the deepest, most unfathomable soul of all composers. - And Loki is right about Górecki (Great composition; very simple but extremely moving).

b) Mahler's 8th Symphony. As this genius wrote himself: "[...] it is the greatest thing I have done so far. And so different in content and form that it is impossible to write about it. Try to imagine the whole universe beginning to ring and resound. [...]" - Alternatively Rachmaninov, especially his 2nd Symphony.