PDA

View Full Version : Passenger safety video - incorrect

trikeflyer
28th Mar 2004, 08:48
I flew on emirates EK404 which departed aprox 9.30am from Melbourne to Auckland on Saturday and foolishly listened to the safety video; particularly where they said 'follow the lights in the floor in case of smoke they lead to the exits'. I looked down at the floor, no lights on this particular aircraft!!! Hmmmm, i thought, must be an industry standard video they are showing, must remember where the emergency exits are.

Is this common, using a safety briefing video for an aircraft that doesnt match? Its the first time I have seen it but it made me wonder a bit...

- slightly worried traveller....

speedbird_heavy
28th Mar 2004, 08:56
They peoberbly were there. Did you see a white strip of plastic looking stuff running all the way down the one (or both) side/s of the aisle?? If so this was the floor lighting. It works the same as a watch with those (forgot the name) glow in the dark hands. Shine lots of light on them and as soon as it goes dark, they light up.

Allthough Im sure some arrogant, big headed, know it all will correct me.

TightSlot
28th Mar 2004, 09:35
What a/c type was it?

It is possible that the lights were located on the side of the passenger seats, or in the seat support assembly.

Although I stand top be corrected, I think that it is highly unlikely that the a/c was not fitted with the system, since I believe that it is mandated in several countries?

WHBM
28th Mar 2004, 17:20
EK404 is operated by a B777 in which case the lights are usually inserted in a strip in the floor (Airbus prefer to mount them on the side of the seat supports). They are not particularly apparent until they are switched on.

What is less brought out is that the lights change from white to red alongside the emergency exit. Yet if you are crawling along under the smoke following the lights this is crucial information. I've never done this in an aircraft but have in a building fire, it is astounding how the visibility goes in the smoke but is much improved in the few inches above the floor. Hence the lights.

Very few airlines now demonstrate the switching on of the lights. I remember that British Midland, following the Kegworth 737 accident where the lights became an issue, as part of the safety briefing always used to say the lights will come on, LOOK, like this, whereupon they would demonstrate them. I believe the aircraft had a wiring mod done to allow the crew to do this easily during the briefing.

They did this for some years but now BMI have stopped too. Bet their current Director of Ops wasn't there at the time of Kegworth (comments from BMI crew maybe ?)

BTW, Trikeflyer, it's not foolish to listen to the safety briefing each flight. It's foolish NOT to do so. Wonder how many pax would approve if the pilots said "can't be bothered to do the safety checks today" at the start of the flight.

answer=42
31st Mar 2004, 20:56
AF is in French and English. And no other languages. BA's foreign language announcements are often incomprehensible and sometimes risible.
The safety announcement / languages question is an interesting one and should be pursued.