PDA

View Full Version : Susannah in suspenders.......

BEagle
27th Mar 2004, 16:46
Thought that might get your attention.

Fans of the 1969 movie 'Battle of Britain' might like to know that, at long last, it's being released on DVD (Region 2) in widescreen format on 24 May 2004.:ok: :ok:

Which means that famous hotel bedroom scene will look better than ever!

Flying Lawyer
27th Mar 2004, 17:25
I can't find any of just 'that' scene but, in the meantime .....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/york.jsrpages/pics2/2sylbob.jpg

BEagle
27th Mar 2004, 17:31
Phhhhhhhwwwwwwwoooooooooaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....!

Thanks, Tudor!

John Farley
27th Mar 2004, 17:43
She did not look like that the other day - I guess I need some new glasses.

BEagle
27th Mar 2004, 17:46
Clearly!

;)

vintage ATCO
27th Mar 2004, 17:47
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

VA

Dr Illitout
27th Mar 2004, 18:32
Being a pervert I got excited by the aircraft!!!!!.

:D :D :D

Aileron Roll
27th Mar 2004, 19:03
With respect you guys are showing your age just abit !

give me Kate anyday !!!!!!!!!

BEagle
27th Mar 2004, 19:09
Kate who?

Winslet? Moss? O'Mara (surely not)? Or that common woman who was on Blue Peter, perhaps?

?

treadigraph
27th Mar 2004, 22:59
Bl@@dy Hell! I get home, having recovered from a rugby distracting letch over the goregeous new barmaid in the Builders... and you lot get me all hot and bothered again.

Can you do a screen grab FL? Or shall I go and put the video on...

(PS: Kate R100 Lips Winslet...? Nah...)

LowNSlow
28th Mar 2004, 04:32
Aileron roll not Kate Aidy(sp) :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Aileron Roll
28th Mar 2004, 08:47
Kate Winslet, of course........

On second thoughts Susannah does not look that bad !

........ sorry no idea who Kate Aidy is ?

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 08:59
Kate Adie was the BBC's glamouflaged war reporter who always seemed to appear first on the scene of any conflict. The joke being that if you ever found yourself on the same flight as Kate, get the next flight home!

She left her £150K per year job on the eve of GW2 last year after 34 years working for the BBC.

And she looked pretty good in publicity photos taken earlier in her career - quite like Bardot when she was about 19! She rose to fame by covering the 1980 Iranian embassy siege live, without any script, to a huge TV audience. She also covered the Malvinas war, Tianemen Square, GW1, Bosnia..........certainly rather better than CNN, Fox or Sky did!

QNIM
28th Mar 2004, 09:46
BEagle
"O" thanks I thought I had finally got over that scene after 30 years and you have to bring it up again, BUGGA now more sleepless nights.
Thanks again
Q
:{

Wycombe
28th Mar 2004, 09:49
BEags,

Did you catch Susannah in "Holby City" last year?

She made quite a few appearances as a Hospital Director of some sort....growing old but still showing the signs that she was a real looker (in a Catherine Deneuve sort of way).

Not quite in the same league, Sharon Maughan (remember the "Gold Blend" ads) is in the show too - still doesn't scrub up too bad either!

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 10:06
Certainly did, Sir!

Agree about Sharon Maughan as well!

Gainesy
28th Mar 2004, 11:34
Excellent news BEags; that bit of my BoB video is getting rather worn.

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 11:59
You mean it's getting calloused.....:E

Eric Mc
28th Mar 2004, 12:08
To be honest, I always found that scene embarrasing. As a ten year old I felt it got in the way of the action. Then, when I was old enough to appreciate it, I realised her make-up and hair was all wrong. Definitely more 1968 than 1940. In fact, I can forgive using the wrong Mark Spitfire far more readily than the wrong era of fashion and beauty.

I think Mrs Pike from "Dad's Army" would have been more authentic.

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 12:36
HUH????

Well, as an 18 year old Flight Cadet from all-male Cranwell, I found that scene of very great interest when I went to the premiere in Nottingham!

I found the 1960s glass door, electric bell push and up-and-over garage door at 'Mr Susannah' s digs far more irritating than the wrong type of life preserver or whatever.....

Molesworth Hold
28th Mar 2004, 12:52
The 1960s glass door, electric bell push and up-and-over garage door were in Robert Shaw’s “Sailor” Malan characters house. I hesitate to make any comment on you’re the effects of the film on your eyesight. Does anyone know if any more of the Walton score has made it to the DVD?

Airbedane
28th Mar 2004, 12:57
Battle of Britin on DVD - when it's joined by Those Magnificent Men, my life will be complete!

You beat me by twelve months, BEags - I first saw it as a QMC student the following year. The young lady I was with at the time was most put out when she discovered that the 'goose bumps' on my arm were caused by the sound of the Merlins, and not by her presence......

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 12:59
Yes - you're right. 'twas indeed 'Sailor' Shaw's digs. Perhaps the effect of certain parts of the film on my eyesight was to blame....:E

I might have been in the same cinema as you at the time then, Airbedane! Odeon, Leicester Square? Also with a young lady, although it wasn't just her goosebumps which interested me...:E

Duxford_Eagles
28th Mar 2004, 16:20
Airbedane, your life can now be complete. Those magnificent men in their flying machines is now available as a Region 1 DVD from a well known internet bookstore's american site.

I got my copy earlier this week.

Rob:D

http://www.robleigh.force9.co.uk/forum/SYork01.jpg
http://www.robleigh.force9.co.uk/forum/SYork02.jpg

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 16:45
:ok:

What else can one say.....??

Aileron Roll
28th Mar 2004, 17:13
...... well I guess you could say have you seen the sex scene in Top Gun !, is a great film......... but really the Spitfire still does it for me over the F14 (but would of course love a ride in one, or even a sit)....... and like old aeroplanes have always had a thing for older women............. Now id best log off before totally ruining this fine post !!!!!!!!!

Flying Lawyer
28th Mar 2004, 18:15
Depressing thought BEagle.
The nubile lovely is sixty three! :eek:

vintage ATCO
28th Mar 2004, 18:30
It's the tie that does it for me . . . . :eek: :p

Skylark4
28th Mar 2004, 18:31
I am 63 too and all my bits and pieces still work.
Mike W

BEagle
28th Mar 2004, 18:34
Bar Steward!

But then you and I aren't exactly oil paintings 35 years on either, my old ULAS chum!

Incidentally, the 'bedroom scene' between Kelly McGilles and Tom Cruse lacked the sophistication of Sussie-Susannah - far more blatant, 'in your face' and, well, American.......

TD&H
28th Mar 2004, 19:13
Isn't life strange. To me Susannah York totally spoilt the film, a pathetic character IMHO. I could think of many other attractive actresses of that era who would have looked/played the part better.

However shall look for the film on DVD though. The Magnificent Men is now out on DVD, unfortunately only in American/Canadian format, so go Google for it if you have a multi-region player. (thinks... how many Americans will wish to buy the Mag Men on DVD compared with the number of us over here?)

Enjoy, H

karrank
29th Mar 2004, 04:30
Was watching my old crackly, washed-out (pirate) tape this week, she's still looking good. My 15 yo son went kinda quiet for that bit too...

Vick Van Guard
29th Mar 2004, 19:38
Just checked the distributers website and it looks like its a two disc job, as apart from the kitchen sink they have thrown just about everthing else in;

"Restored William Walton Score In 5.1
"Battle For The Battle Of Britain" Documentary
"Authenticity In The Air" Featurette
"A Film For The Few" Making Of Featurette
"Recollections Of An R.A.F. Squadron Leader" Featurette
"Images From The Sky" Animated Photo Gallery
Audio Commentary With Director Guy Hamilton And Crew
Original Theatrical Trailer
"A Bridge Too Far Special Edition" Trailer"

I think I need a widscreen telly!

BEagle
29th Mar 2004, 19:43
Don't suppose it includes "Research into authentic WAAF garments of the 1940s", does it?

Tim Mills, he of occasional PPRuNe-ing, was one of the lucky RAF pilots seconded to the movie. I'm sure he must have the odd tale or two? Come on, Tim, don't keep us in suspenders - oops, I mean suspense!

teeteringhead
30th Mar 2004, 14:29
But I must direct S Y fans to "The Killing of Sister George" made the year before BoB. SY is seduced ...... by Coral Browne! It's still the sexiest bedroom scene on film IMHO....:O

Lukeafb1
1st Apr 2004, 11:29
Personally, I've always found Susannah York kinda' asexual, suspenders or no suspenders!!

BEagle
1st Apr 2004, 18:22
Never mind. Your hormones will kick in one of these days, perhaps.......

G085H1TE
2nd Apr 2004, 09:16
Isn't life strange. To me Susannah York totally spoilt the film, a pathetic character IMHO. I could think of many other attractive actresses of that era who would have looked/played the part better.

I tend to agree, she doesn't do anything for me at all. Maybe it's all that simpering, big-haired "Oh Colin, you really are such a silly-billy" stuff that seemed such a waste of celluloid. She's just looked like she'd parachuted in from the '60s.

And while we're on the subject, Christopher Plummer...RUBBISH! Really got on my nerves with his hopeless overacting.

So, my quick end-of-term report:

Laurence Olivier - :)
Robert Shaw - :cool:
Michael Caine - :D, THE classic line in the film "we either take-off or blow up!"
Christopher Plummer - :yuk:
Susannah York - :ugh:
Michael Caine's Labrador - better actor than either of the previous two ;)

Airbedane
2nd Apr 2004, 19:20
I don't care what you lot say, in 1968 it was BL00DIE GOOD stuff!

BEagle
2nd Apr 2004, 19:32
And still is.......!!

Personally I thought that Michael Caine was a very wooden actor in the movie.

Airbedane
2nd Apr 2004, 19:33
Nothing changed there, then...................:D :D

airgage
2nd Apr 2004, 21:27
Absolutely nothing to do with Ms York but did you know that during the aifield blitz sequence at DX they had a lorry with a smoke machine driving up and down te run way .....and if you look at the air to ground shots of those scenes you might just see it. Not a lot of people know that (Michael Caine link sort of).

Michael also previously appeared at DX in the filmimg of The Billion Dollar Brain two years earlier, you can see evidence of this film in the white painted runwaty section which was still evident at the early 1970's displays at DX again not a lot of people.....(actually it was mainly his double but he did visit thte set.

airgage
5th Apr 2004, 20:43
My apologies, I appear to have killed this thread......

Kolibear
6th Apr 2004, 11:04
Whatever happened to The Suspenders?

They should be a prized exhibit inthe Aviation Movie Museum at Compton Abbas.

sycamore
6th Apr 2004, 11:42
And the Fingertrappers too!!!!!!!!;)

Tim Mills
13th Apr 2004, 06:22
BEagles post 30 Mar.

What, fly a Spitfire and see dear Susan in her scanties! How much excitement can one man stand? Specially a career officer from darkest Lincolnshire, such as myself. Sadly, no, only airfields, hangers and aeroplanes for the likes of us! There may have been other distractions of less celebrity status about, but being a career officer from darkest Lincolshire-------!!!

But it does make me think how much more enticing suspenders were than these new fangled tights! Don't remember much about either now, sad to say!

Tim Mills
13th Apr 2004, 07:49
Of course I meant 'Susannah in her scanties', must be getting old!

Orange Arm Waver
13th Apr 2004, 09:51
Can't see the appal in her myself... never have but each to their own. One guy I know goes into a VERY far gaze when you mention that sequence in the film.

QNIM
13th Apr 2004, 10:55
You Bastards
Still having sleepless nights, why did you have to bring it up again.
Cheers Q :\

Tim Mills
14th Apr 2004, 10:09
Regarding my yesterdays posts; I now realise it wasn't old age, just a geographical error. I thought Hampshire, but meant York. No wonder I needed two excellent navigators in my Canberra!

Chimbu chuckles
14th Apr 2004, 15:48
Well in 1969 I was a mere lad of 8...but definately developed a crush on Ms York upon first viewing her in suspenders;)

Have been annoying my local dvd shop, in darkest Brunei, re BoB DVD with little luck todate...perhaps they will have more luck soon sourcing it for me...or I'll get it on a London overnight.

Did my first of those last week actually....great day spent in the RAF Museum at Hendon.

Hey Beags are you close to London...my roster has me there on 24/25 or therabouts...catch up for a beer/leer over Susanah?

Chuckles. :}

BEagle
14th Apr 2004, 16:53
Kind of you, but will be elsewhere.....

The BoB DVD isn't out yet (for Region 2) - May sometime, I understand.

She did look lovely in that famous shot, didn't she...... The buttons on that WAAF blouse just waiting to be.......AARRRGH - the Cranwell bromide is wearing off:E

Bletchley
14th Apr 2004, 21:26
Edited to remove advertising link

BEagle
14th Apr 2004, 21:34
Bletchley, mate - Cap'n PPRuNe is v.sensitive about advertising right now.

BoB DVD Region 2 available 24 May. Featuring the lovely Susannah, of course......(to get back to the thread).

Bletchley
14th Apr 2004, 21:45
Cheers for that I presume I must consider myself ticked off?.

Not intended as advertising though.

Do you remeber the 1974 film 'The Ghoul' with the lovely Alexandra Bastedo, dressed up in stockings on the bed...............

Blacksheep
15th Apr 2004, 01:44
Chimbu chuckles - try the video shop down Jalan Batu Bersurat, just off the Tunku Link. I got my copy of the BoB DVD there back in January. They had The Longest Day and All Quiet on the Western Front on DVD too.

BTW, if you're reading this Chew-Lip, can I have the bl**dy video back now? There's a queue you know....

RabbitLeader
19th Apr 2004, 07:16
God, are you guys STILL going on about this?!

I didn't want to say it, but Tara Fitzgerald, Dark Blue World...

All I'm gonna say ;)

XL5
19th Apr 2004, 09:14
" The Visitors". DVD, released this year. Susannah as she is today. It'll cure you of the frilly-knickers- 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square' fetish.

QNIM
19th Apr 2004, 10:42
Gday XL5
Get out of ere let's just remember it as it was aye, don't spoil it for us old farts.
Cheers Q

TD&H
20th Apr 2004, 21:37
Susannah in Suspenders?

But not as exciting as Samantha sitting on Humph's left hand! (you had to be there to appreciate!)

However, back to the film and the real stars: the aeroplanes.

Is there anyone involved with making the film who can verify how low the ME109s were in the early scenes? Were they really hedge-hopping height?

Also is it true that they had a two-seat Buchon in which Adolf Galland proceeded to impress everyone with a daisy-cutting slow roll?

H

RabbitLeader
21st Apr 2004, 07:23
According to the book Battle of Britain by Leonard Mosley, Galland went up in the back seat of the '109 and did the "famous Galland Roll" (according to Bob Standford-Tuck, anyways!).

And for those of you awaiting the movie released on Region 2 DVD:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/reviews/review.asp?Index=3809&User=627

treadigraph
21st Apr 2004, 07:25
Ahhhh Samantha! Brightened my day... wish she was sitting on my left hand...

They certainly had a two seat Buchon... now in the US I think, possibly with Connie Edwards.

TD&H
21st Apr 2004, 08:43
Treadigraph, were you there too?

If so 'a word for those of nervous disposition'
BOO!

Cheers

H

TD&H
26th Apr 2004, 10:26
Rabbit Leader:

Thanks for those comments about Leonard Mosley's book, trawling through a second hand bookshop I found 3 copies (and some other good books) so I can now read about Galland's daisy cutting roll.

Cheers

H

BEagle
28th May 2004, 22:51
Hoorah! Just had an e-mail from a**z*n telling me that my copy is on its way!

Funny thing is, I could have bought the German version (in widescreen) 'Luftshlacht um England' at FRA this afternoon!

BEagle
29th May 2004, 08:48
It arrived in today's post! A quick check shows excellent, original picture quality in 2.35:1 widescreen format. There is an additional special features disc and for those who have the facility to play it (not me), Dolby 5.1 sound.

Well worth the wait!

"It's two lumps you take, isn't it?"

wub
1st Jun 2004, 16:08
Got my copy today too! DTS sound is awsome but the Walton music just doesn't make the hair on the back of my neck stand up like Ron Goodwin's theme does

treadigraph
1st Jun 2004, 16:14
Odd that, to me the best bit of the film is the September 15th sequence with Walton's score... I think I find Goodwin's music a bit too martial!

Think I'd better order the DVD though...!

"Get them off, get them off"... er, I mean "Get them up, get them up..."

wub
1st Jun 2004, 16:19
Treaders: It's the opening title sequence with Walton's score that doesn't cut it for me; I guess I've seen it so many times that I just expect the marching music (which, incidentally, I have marched to!)

treadigraph
1st Jun 2004, 16:22
Better order my copy so I can hear what you mean wub... on second thoughts, I'd better wait till my Flexible Friend has stopped quivering: been through too many credit card readers over the past 72 hours!

RabbitLeader
2nd Jun 2004, 07:20
Best scene in the movie HAS to be the Northern Raid sequence! When the music starts as the Heinkel plummets into the sea - that gets my hair standing every time - and then that victory roll over the airfield.

Need I say more?!

treadigraph
4th Jun 2004, 08:14
Now there's a strange thing - I've just been given a copy as a very belated birthday present... darn, there goes Saturday! :ok:

Cheers

Treadders

Chimbu chuckles
1st Aug 2004, 12:24
FINALLY found a copy of the BoB DVD.:ok:

Unfortunately it's a pirate copy (I live in South East Asia) so does not include the extras DVD but the quality is excellent..apart from not having the 5.1 surround sound which my TV and system can cope with easily. Interesting watching it as it has been sooooo long since I saw it last that its like watching it for the first time again.

But I will still be looking for an original proper copy just to get the extras DVD:ok:

Chuck.

And if Susanah played her cards right she could.....well in 1969 she could have...she's old enough to be me mum...almost:E