PDA

View Full Version : Qantas' loop over timetable

Wirraway
27th Mar 2004, 05:05
Sat "Hobart Mercury"

Airline's loop over timetable
By NICK CLARK
27mar04

QANTAS has restored an early-morning flight from Launceston to Melbourne in the face of a sustained community campaign.

The backflip came on the day when lobby group Fairness and Equality in Airline Travel released a survey saying that 76 per cent of respondents would consider changing to rival airline Virgin Blue. Qantas's decision to bring the 1.10pm flight forward to 6.30am from May 25 comes three weeks after a similar policy reversal in Hobart. The Launceston business community had campaigned about withdrawal of the flight on the ground that business people would have to travel to Melbourne the night before to make a 9am meeting. The loss of the early flight was to have coincided with the start of operations by no-frills subsidiary Jetstar. Under Jetstar, the first flight to Melbourne would have left Launceston at 7.30 am. Qantas Airlines executive general manager John Borghetti said the new flight would be a Boeing 737 that included business class. He said Qantas had received representations from the State Government, local business and community representatives and federal politicians. In the FEAT poll of 1000 people, 85 per cent believed the loss of the flight would affect business and affect connections. However, Qantas spokesman Michael Sharp said the airline's decision was not poll-driven.

===========================================

proplever
27th Mar 2004, 09:24
Bewdy. Launy overnights!

Mr Wright
27th Mar 2004, 20:45
PL, wouldn't it be good to see the crews from three domestic carriers sharing a drink at the bar in Launy! We'll see!:ok:

DJ737
27th Mar 2004, 22:16
The way things are going sharing a drink at the bar will be the way of the future, pilots won't be able to afford one each :p

DJ737
The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

Keg
28th Mar 2004, 00:38
DJ, I've often felt your comments to be not worth much but I'll now eat a healthy serving of humble pie and log that one down as a PPRUNE 'classic comment'!

My daughter wanted to know what I was laughing at on the computer! :D

proplever
28th Mar 2004, 02:29
Gotta second Keg, there. DJ, you are sooooooo right, mate.

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Buckshot
29th Mar 2004, 04:31
Got to love those early morning winter sign-ons in Launy. Brush up on your de-ice procedures.

It's not likely that JQ,QF and DJ would be in the same hotel anyway is it?
I guess Jetstar pilots are overnighting at the local YHA?

Soulman
29th Mar 2004, 06:23
Funny you say that Buckshot.

I heard that part of the Jetstar uniform included a sleeping bag to be laid out in the galley on overnighters like this.

Guess admin can afford such 'luxuries' with all the money their saving on pilots!

Soulman.

rescue 1
29th Mar 2004, 09:30
Jetstar uniform included a sleeping bag ...

Jetstar low cost? Not even close to their NZ cousins

slamer
29th Mar 2004, 21:58
rescue 1... So Jester get even less! than their NZ Siblings??