PDA

View Full Version : MFA, your opinion?

swamp monkey
27th Mar 2004, 04:18
Just wondering what the facilities are like at MFA?
How well the a/c are maintained and general working conditions?

I-Fly-River
27th Mar 2004, 13:40
I HAVE POSTED THIS IN A PREVIOUS TOPIC... BUT SINCE YOU'RE ASKING....

Well, since nobody is gonna give their 0.01 cent worth, i might as well put in some for all those budding flyers out there....

Recognition?
They are recognise by Malaysian DCA and since its an ICAO license, its also recognise worldwide. Its almost like having a UK License, only its called malaysian license. same privilages, you can fly anywhere in the world (except for maybe brunei.... i think?!) There also lots of expat students there too. Singapore, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong. Even some SIA pilots went there for a special course to get their ATPL. So how bad can that be?

Ground School?
What can I say. They speak for themselves.... They are the best!! No1 Ground instruction lessons. Top ppl,. mainly ex-indian air force. exams not to difficult as instructors are 'helpful'!

Flying School?
Hmmm.... I guess its not too bad. However, the place is NON-STANDARD which is something they really should look upon. basically every instructor has ther're own method of flying. Therefore, if u happen to change instructors, good luck!!

Aircraft and Maintainance?
Aircraft is not too bad either. Piper Warriors and Seneca. Now also running Eagles 150 from next door. Ofcourse there are some 'old' aircrafts out there and you cant escape from that. especially in the airlines next time! Maintaince is done ontime! Aircraft is safe and maintained properly. Ofcourse maintainance is restricted in certain areas because of lack of budget given by admin!

Admin side?
This is the BAD APPLES of MFA. They could do alot in CUSTOMER RELATIONS! But noooooooo........ All they want is to run the place like a 3rd world pilot training centre. (no offence to the 3rd world pilot training center!) This however ONLY applies to TOP MANAGEMENT!! Not frontline staff. They are very friendly. Makes MFA a more lively place. Without them, only God knows.....

Food?
Hmmm...... They ought to do something with the catering ASAP!!! Is not that Iam against them. Its just that you must have a certain standard in flying school. One thing I will say is that food are all spicy (ala malaysian... not everyone's choice!!). There are some complaints of cleanliness too, but just rumours, so I dont want to comment on it. However, they should not only think about the PAYING CUSTOMERS who deserve much better for the money spend there!

Accomodation?
They have hostels there. However, MAS (again!?) has priority. And if the are full, they will even kick you out!! So I suggest is better staying outside. Cheaper. However, if u must get inside accom, you wont be dissappointed. AC rooms with Fan. Your own personal sink. Its small, but okay. comfy. but gonna cost you 700 a month!! haha....

The Future?
Well, MFA seems to be in a little hot water now because there is a new training school in Malaysia in Langkawi. Check out www.latc.com.my (Langkawi Aerospace Training Centre) Not sure if they started oredy. However, be updated and dont get trapped!

My opinion?
I think MFA is still the best you can find in Malaysia. (Rite now that is) Even though they maybe some hitches here and there, u cant blame em? Every flying school has its bad apples, even in Oxford or Embry Riddle. I've given u some stuff to think about, so decide wisely. And welcome Aboard. Another new eaglet has hatched from its nest.

I FLY RIVER..... others use FMS

swamp monkey
27th Mar 2004, 22:34
Thanks for that.

What is the cost of living like compared to places such as Singapore, I realise it will be cheaper but how does the accomodation fare?

Is 6k/pm Ringit enough to live comfortably?

donaldstan
28th Mar 2004, 14:45
this is a reply i got from MFA when I asked about accomodation. hope it helps:

==============

Most of our private students rent a house which is nearby to the Academy and are shared between their course mates. Houses not far away from the Academy are easily available for rent. A private student only pays between RM150 - RM200 a month for a room if shared between 3 to 4 students for a house.

Initially before commencement of their course, we will try to assist in informing them the availability of houses for rent and giving the private students the contacts nos. of their course mates for rooms that can be shared among the students in the same batch. The rental to stay outside the Academy is much cheaper then staying in the Academy hostel which will cost
you @ RM175 per week.

We will not be able to house all the students in the Academy hostels as we have limited rooms.

==============

how about employment after we obtained the license? Will it be easy to get into MAS or SIA as pilots?

I-Fly-River
29th Mar 2004, 16:06
yup, donaldstan's got it rite there. anyways, RM6000/month, you can live in LUXURY MAN!!!! hahahaha..........
you can stay in an apartment and even get a car for tat matter...... hmmmm.....

I FLY RIVER... for less than RM6000/month

kwaiyai
30th Mar 2004, 08:24
Hi Swamp Monley,
Check your PM's,
Regards,