PDA

View Full Version : Smallpox??.

tony draper
25th Sep 2001, 22:11
I'm a bit confused, cable news has been waffling on all day with the possibility of a biological attack, using Anthrax or Smallpox.
Anthrax I understand butI thought smallpox had been eradicated completely a few years ago,.
I recal a debate at the time and the information that the only smallpox virus/germ ??that exsisted on the earth were contained in a small phial, and in a rather silly debate, whether as a species we were entitled to cause the complete extinction of another living creature allbeit inimical to mankind.??
Has me puzzled this one.

Send Clowns
25th Sep 2001, 22:57
Quite right, Draper, only organism to have been knowingly and deliberately made extinct in the wild. Only known remains left in two samples in US and Soviet labs. Not sure what happened to the latter after the USSR was no more :eek:

B747wideboy
26th Sep 2001, 00:49
According to a very frightened looking American doctor on ITN tonight, the Smallpox vaccinations we all got when we were kids would very likely be no good against a new "improved" strain such as the one that may or may not have been sold out the back of an ex-USSR bioweapons lab for an undisclosed but very large sum of money some time ago.

IŽm off to stock up on canned food and then IŽll be in the yard digging a bunker if anyoneŽs looking for me.

hmc
26th Sep 2001, 00:59
I wonder if Mr. Putin would mind letting us put his vial in safe keeping before it goes the way of some of his nukes.

I would think that the idea of the two former arch enemies having the bug would be that if either unleashed it the other could manufacture an innoculation.

B747wideboy
26th Sep 2001, 01:04
Mutually Assured Destruction isnŽt so effective when one side would actually welcome the end of the world.

tony draper
26th Sep 2001, 01:53
Well there is one fine old saying,
Do unto others before they do it unto you.

henry crun
26th Sep 2001, 03:06
I want to know what happened to Bigpox,
is that also still tucked away in a test tube in a secret laboratory ?

How do we protect ourselves against it if it escapes or is released ?.

tony draper
26th Sep 2001, 03:37
Its ironic that Jenner discovered the smallpox vacine because he was a dirty old man and liked watching young ladies in a surreptitious manner.
He noticed, in a age when most people had badly scared faces due to smallpox including the young ladies, that milk maids were particularly worth watching because they seldomly had scared faces and were very pretty.
Aha! he thought, it must be because they caught cowpox and thus were imune from the much nastier smallpox.
so we dirty old men are actualy a great benifit to society.
ooh!, ooh!,milmaids
Show us yer nickers missus ;)

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Tamara
27th Sep 2001, 00:20
And I thought it was just me that is totally inmsane, Tony Draper. welcome to the club. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

tony draper
27th Sep 2001, 02:24
Draper is deeply hurt, the above infomation on Jenner though brief is perfectly true.
The man was famed for his voyeuristic exploits.
Indeed had he not discovered vaccination,he would probably had a perversion named after him,in the manner of the much misunderstood, Marquis De Sade.
Voyeur's would probably be called Jennerists.
Now there's a ambition for a lad, to have a whole perversion named after one, beats the sh*t out of yer Knighhoods or Peerages.

"Proceed constable"
"Yers, your honour,I was proceeding in a northerly direction, when I observed, the accused indulging in a act of gross Draperism a in a public place".
"Did you arrest the accused's partner in this disgusting act constable."
"Err no your honour, she was to quick for us,
but, we did obtained a good description of her uniform, and we are watching the local Airport your honour,we'll nab her when she turns up for work".

[ 26 September 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Mycroft
27th Sep 2001, 06:22
Henry Crun
The Great Pox is alive and doing very well I am certain that if you go to certain areas at night (we're not allowed to talk about them but if you see Slasher, follow him, he'll be going there), do certain things (also well known to Slasher) then the local VD clinic will be able to diagnose it, but they call it syphillis

HugMonster
27th Sep 2001, 15:03
Is that the same as the Great Spon Plague? :confused: :( :rolleyes:

criticalmass
27th Sep 2001, 16:01
HugMonster,

What about an attack of the dreaded Lurgi from a horse-drawn Zeppelin?

Or Footo!, the wonder boot-exploder!

(heads for inflatable BBC-issue air-raid shelter disguised as children's paddling-pool.)