PDA

View Full Version : RANT.....useful for IR?

NI66A
26th Mar 2004, 22:34
Just started the IR and have been advised to purchase RANT as a useful tool to practice on.

Anyone had much experience with this software & did it help you with the instrument rating?

Cheers

:8

GASH !
27th Mar 2004, 08:02
Yeah I found it quite useful for the IR, good for getting an idea of what to expect with the needles etc. I used to set the wind up on random and then cover it up on the screen with a mini post it note, then join and fly the hold and see if I could work out what the wind was doing. After a few hours of this, I found it much easier going into the sim and flying the holds and procedures.

I found Microsoft Flightsim pretty good too. Set the wx at minima and then fly the Baron around your test routes.

Oh one other thing though. I've never met anyone that's actually "purchased" RANT. :ok:

Hansard
27th Mar 2004, 08:13
Yes, RANT is useful.

Spend time setting it up properly to accurately reflect the instrument panel of the aircraft you'll be flying

I found it best to use the "Hide aircraft" function and reveal my flightpath after I'd 'flown' it on instruments. If you keep the aircraft in sight on screen, there's a danger you'll simply 'fly' it around the screen.

18greens
28th Mar 2004, 08:49
Definately buy RANT. If it saves you 15 minutes airtime its paid for itself.

Its fantastic for sorting out holds and dip on the dreaded ADF.

As for not paying for it you are spending £10,000+ on the IR so I think you should be able to afford £90 for the program.

Good luck with the IR.

trainer too 2
28th Mar 2004, 10:00
The cheapest way to grasp the basics so yes buy (or beg and borrow :ooh: ) a copy!