PDA

View Full Version : Seroxat

Synthetic
26th Mar 2004, 22:06
Please can anyone help me out with the above? What are the efects?

dive777
26th Mar 2004, 23:16
Seroxat is essentially an antidepressant drug.

It's trade name is Paroxetine (in the UK) and it is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (like the famous Proxac). This means that it acts to increase the level of serotonin in the blood and thus counter depressive illness.

As far as side effects go, the most common ones are nausea and vomiting, heart burn, weight loss, a rash, swelling and bone and joint pain.

Despite these, it is a very effective drug but should always be prescribed within the context of other therapies, provided by a doctor or paramedically-trained professional.

Hope that helps,

Dive777

PilotsPal
31st Mar 2004, 15:18
Following severe domestic traumas some years ago I took it and had no side effects whatsoever. The downside was it worked so well for me that after a while I really didn't want to come off it. At that point my GP said there was no way I was having any more and I had to go through a gradual process of decreasing the dose.

Lost_luggage34
31st Mar 2004, 15:44
I was prescribed it a couple of years ago and it certainly did not work for me.

Dreadful side-effects including tremors, insomnia and even worse nervousness which was the condition it was prescribed for.

Gave up after 4 weeks with it and now take St John's Wort.

BoeingMEL
1st Apr 2004, 15:53
Speaking personally...... I was prescribed Seroxat by my GP (MD) after suffering dreadful mood-swings post diagnosis (multiple sclerosis) It certainly helped the awful down-times but side effects were absolutely awful...... and vastly outweighed the benefits IMHO. Everyone I have spoken to about Seroxat tells of different benefits and side-effects.... proving that we're all different. Take care and be constantly aware of possible side-effects.... the small print in the leaflet says it all! Good luck anyway. bm

Lost_luggage34
1st Apr 2004, 16:17
Good comments Boeing - much appreciated

PilotsPal
2nd Apr 2004, 10:04
I have no scientific basis whatsoever for making this observation but it does seem to me that it works better for women than men.

Chromium
2nd Apr 2004, 10:37
My first post, so I hope it works

My advice about Seroxat....dont take it, take up exercise instead.

I began to like it a little too much

Synthetic
3rd Apr 2004, 21:38
Many thanks for all the replies Folks. It is someone very close to me who has been prescribed them.

The impression I get is that these are temporary treatment while a problem is resolved, and there is an adiction issue. The doctor who has prescribed them for my friend has let her take them for 18 months without any other treatment, and in the light of recent news that Doctors confess that many patients are prescribed drugs like this without any atempt to solve or treat the real problem has me very worried.