PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town Helicopter news

clipboard
20th Aug 2003, 21:15
It seems that a couple of interesting helicopter and flying projects are currently underway in Cape Town.

The Test Pilot's Training Facility at Thunder City has secured a 10 week training program for 8 helicopter crewmen from South East Asia. These crewmen are all experienced helicopter pilots, and will under the supervision of some highly skilled helicopter experts, be schooled in the pro's and con's of conducting test flights on prototype helicopters. Well done guys, and welcome to Cape Town.

Starlite Helicopters from Durban will be setting up a training facility at Cape Town International Airport early next month in order to train some 20 odd foreign students. According to a Company spokes person, the students will be schooled from ab initio to commercial on R22's, R44's and some turbine helicopter. Well done guys.

Cape Town's Base4 Helicopters are in advanced negotiations with an offshore operator in West Africa to conduct offshore services on the West Coast of an affluent oil rich African State, utilizing their fleet of MBB 105's. When a telephonic inquiry was made, the company spokes peson declined to comment, but rumour has it that it is Gabon. Everything is buzzing at Base4. Engineers are in and out preparing aircraft, cleaning, servicing etc, and apparently the client will be conducting an audit there this week. Well done guys, and good luck!:ok:

Goldfish Jack
21st Aug 2003, 12:42
Any ideas which helicopters they are going to use?

Lets hope their servicability is better than that of the lightnings, otherwise the fire and rescue services could be in for a busy time!! (maybe it is a good idea that - they will have a chance to test their new rescue plans to see if they will work!!).

clipboard
26th Aug 2003, 21:52
:D Howdy Goldfish Jack, heard today that for the Test Pilot Program, they are hiring in some helicopters. Apparently a Jetranger, a MBB 105, as well as an EC120. So you don't need to worry about the Fire Services going active.:p What is also rumoured is that there will be some serious helicopter pilots arriving here from all over the world to participate in this program, and I hear that even some helicopter aerobatics are going to be demonstrated. I really want to be around when that happens:ok:

Apparently the Starlite Helicopter School is still to open early next month, and from what I've been told, its going to be quite busy.

Base4 helicopters is still anxiously awaiting news whether they will get the offshore contract in Gabon. Engineers are still running around, and it is a known fact that Base4's AMO was audited by the Gabonese CAA this past week. The boys, however, are numb on what the outcome was. Foreign CAA's normally conduct very stringent audits, and it will be interesting to establish how it all went. Base4 are very secretive about this whole deal, but the airport is abuzz with information about the deal that obviously comes from them. Everyone in the helicopter business in Cape Town seems to know whats going on.

Civair has moved hangar to the Waterfront where they will be setting up a temporary AMO in their Waterfront facilities, in spite of the Waterfront Company prohibiting maintenance at the Waterfront. Apparently a special dispensation has been given to Civair to operate an AMO, based upon CAA approval. :ugh:

Gunship
27th Aug 2003, 01:10
Tx for the update !

My personal oppinion : I love it to see other people having success and that Cape Town scores (once again).

Absolute fantastic news ! :ok:

I wish everybody great success !

:ok:

Heliport
26th Mar 2004, 21:26
Anyone know if these projects came to anything?